Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The way The Wizard of Oz SHOULD have been - Mcfarlane "Twisted Land of Oz" figures

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The way The Wizard of Oz SHOULD have been - Mcfarlane "Twisted Land of Oz" figures

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-03, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pretty lame. Some mentioned these units won't sell at Kay-Bee! Wrong. They won't got stocked there at all.
Old 04-14-03, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by chanster
Some mentioned these units won't sell at Kay-Bee! Wrong. They won't got stocked there at all.
Umm..They'll be stocked right next to Clive's Tortured Souls line.. [Perhaps your Kay-Bee is a bit more conservative..?]
Old 04-14-03, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wanna see the Wicked Witch of the West
I wanna see Glinda too for that matter.
For the record, I think these figures are dang cool. Disturbing, but cool.
Old 04-14-03, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think they all look cool except for Scarecrow. I'm pretty sure he'll be near impossible to stand up.

I bought one of those tortured souls figures, but after several minutes of attempting to set him up and get him to stand by himself I decided never to buy another one. He just lays there now btw...

I may buy Dorothy and the wizard. We shall see.
Old 04-14-03, 10:51 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
What's next for McFarlane Toys... twisted Biblical figures? The Brady Bunch as a really dysfunctional family? The Lord of Rings on Acid?

I'll pass...
Old 04-15-03, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Zodo
I think they all look cool except for Scarecrow. I'm pretty sure he'll be near impossible to stand up.

I bought one of those tortured souls figures, but after several minutes of attempting to set him up and get him to stand by himself I decided never to buy another one. He just lays there now btw...

I may buy Dorothy and the wizard. We shall see.
this is why McFarlanes figures are never really great to move around, they have great quality, but the movement sucks. they could never get positioned anyway other then the way it came in the box. You might aswell leave it in their half the time since they wont stand on their own.
Old 09-16-03, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So who's actually picked one or all of these up? I bought the Dorothy figure so I could read the first chapter but I don't think I'm willing to shell out for the rest of the chapters/figures. I don't suppose someone else here could..
Old 09-16-03, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I'm not willing to buy them. they seem to twisted and wrong for no real reason. I am interested to read the story behind all these. but as for getting the toys.. eh. No thanks. they aren't my cup of tea.
Old 09-16-03, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
5 months later..

still not interested..
Old 09-17-03, 12:27 AM
Banned

Saw these at my local Gamestop. Maybe if there was a game or movie or comic to go along with it. They have no appeal whatsoever the Wizard of Oz is still one of my favorite films and to see one of my favorite toy companies poop on the franchise is very sad.
Old 09-17-03, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
I'll wait for the twisted Willy Wonka figures
Old 09-17-03, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

do NOT give Todd any more ideas...
Old 09-17-03, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While I enjoy that Dorothy figure for reasons completely unrelated to Oz , I concur with everything Jackskeleton originally posted. The tie-in to The Wizard of Oz seems gratuitous and exploitative. "Look, I made some naughty, scary, cool figures...how can I market them?" Come on, that's Toto? It could be anything. And since when did Toto have a rider? Looks like a LOTR leftover or something. Lame.
Old 09-17-03, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've thought about getting these a few times but I too have decided they are just too far out there.

I like Todd's work but this stuff is pretty crappy. They seem to be just going for shock value with these and I think it's the wrong way to go about making and marketing toys. They serve no purpose since they don't go along with a movie or game. They are out there to big attention to the company but I'm not sure midgets branding a ballerina is the best way to go about getting good press.

But I could be wrong.
Old 09-17-03, 10:36 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dorothy would be an interesting figure in some lines, but I just think in the Oz context the bound thing doesn't work.

The Lion looks like a glorified Masters of the Universe figure with the armor and whatnot. Would have been better as a pure lion monster without the warrior aspect.

Like the crows and the hanging head of the Scarecrow, but I dislike figures that can only stand in a precise pose.

I think the right side of the Tinman looks great... I love the mechanical zombie look, but I hate the big pincer hand and the big metal thing around the left leg. But I have seen the face under the mask, and it looks awesome.

Toto... ugh. They stretched waaaay too far with this. Why not make him a vicious rottweiler or wolf looking thing at least?

The Wizard is the coolest, and he also looks cool without the mask.
Old 09-17-03, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Looking back 5 months later, I have decided these things are pretty lame.

What moron started this retarded thread anyway?
Old 09-17-03, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Old 09-18-03, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,132 Posts
I still like them. Especially "Dorothy" and "The Wizard".

Interesting how this thread came back when it did. I just saw "Toto" and "Scarecrow" at a local store and I thought of this thread.

It's funny, ideas sometimes work other times they don't. At least Todd is trying to put an ALTERNATIVE face on something that's been around for a long time. Sure, it's a classic and many feel it's perfect like it is. But it doesn't hurt o try something new.
Old 09-18-03, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
I liked Penny Arcade's take on this subject:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/news.php3?date=2003-04-14

My take on McGee/McFarlane:

Making something gross or sexual or both is probably the easiest thing in the world to do. Just look at the margins of any 7th graders homework. You will find plenty of doodles on par with anything McGee has produced. American has said that his new game OZ will stay fairly true to the books but it will be "darker". It's sad that is the best he can come up with. American has the opportunity to take these well known and loved stories and re-imagine them for the world of video games, a medium with unlimited possibilities. When he made Alice I gave him credit for taking the story in a new direction even if it wasn't a terribly interesting one. Now with OZ he's doing the same thing and it shows that Alice was not some creative masterpiece. This guy is just a pervert and this is all he knows how to do. It's like he has some kind of huge f***ng machine. Beloved stories and characters go in one side and junior high quality goth crap comes out the other.Yeah, Yeah McGee, we all know you are very angry. You should save yourself some f***ing time and just wear a T-shirt that says "I am dark and brooding".

I think McFarlane is a brilliant business man who stopped being creative years ago. There is nothing wrong with that, as I am sure he makes enough money that he doesn't have to be creative. I like to think I would still draw even if I was rich but who knows.
They also had a brilliant parody cartoon of a "dark" Strawberry Shortcake, before American Greetings made them take it down.
Old 09-18-03, 07:21 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Giantrobo
At least Todd is trying to put an ALTERNATIVE face on something that's been around for a long time. Sure, it's a classic and many feel it's perfect like it is. But it doesn't hurt o try something new.
But it isn't new. I remember a comic book from years ago that did the exact same thing.
Old 09-18-03, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Giantrobo
I still like them. Especially "Dorothy" and "The Wizard".

Interesting how this thread came back when it did. I just saw "Toto" and "Scarecrow" at a local store and I thought of this thread.

It's funny, ideas sometimes work other times they don't. At least Todd is trying to put an ALTERNATIVE face on something that's been around for a long time. Sure, it's a classic and many feel it's perfect like it is. But it doesn't hurt o try something new.
McFarlane has indeed not been creative for a while now. these Oz toys are just another in his attempt to create shock factors for buyers. in all honestly, Tortured Souls I was original and a nice alternative. it succeeded because the hell raiser figrues where still being held up by right issues. so it was a great alternative to get things that looked like it. Tortured souls series 2 on the other hand was just a random amount of shock value. there fact that they didn't come with a story made it a bit generic. as for these. Look at disney's return to oz, compared to the books it is darker in story. How successful was that one? I liked the characters but maybe they should have went beyond the book or followed the book a bit more closer. why is the lion torn apart with a spear? nothing more then shock factor.
Old 09-23-03, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm So Weak

Seeing these figures in person changed my mind. The sheer size of Toto alone was enough to get my attention. I caved in and bought the whole set.

Some aspects of the figures are just plain odd but there are cool things. I look forward to reading the story packaged in each figure. I'm just glad I was careful to open them because instead of having a small booklet with the story on it......the entire insert paper is covered with the story. Had I opened this like I opened my T3 figures I would of been very upset.
Old 09-23-03, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

soo. that means it's not a long story?
Old 09-23-03, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The story is long enough that I've been too lazy/busy to read it yet.

And I have to say that if they continue to make figures with so much details and small touches....they need instructions. I spent forever trying to peg all the crows onto the Scarecrow's body.
Old 09-23-03, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wish McFarlane would stop buying baseballs and making crappy Kiss stuff so he could start crankin out some more movie maniacs. Those are quality action figures.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.