Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why don't they remake "Them"?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-03, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, maybe not a straight remake, but some well done CGI giant ants would be cool.

I didn't say it would be a good movie or necessarily make money and it might "ruin" classic (whatever that means), just that it would be neat-o.

Thoughts? Bad idea?
Old 04-09-03, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

COMING SOON - THEM! 2003

I think some classics should be left well alone. And by 'some', I mean, of course, 'all'.
Old 04-09-03, 12:11 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Six Legged Freaks
Old 04-09-03, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
I think the old one stands well on its own. The problem is that Them was meant as an indictment of the atom bomb and had some strong social commentary in it beneath the monser movie banter, kind of like Day the Earth Stood Still.
To redo this for the sake of having some CGI FX and making it a mindless sci-fi flick would really ruin what it was supposed to stand for. (Planet of the Apes anyone?)

You just want some CGI ants? Search the web, I'm sure someone somewhere has some.
Old 04-09-03, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Why don't they remake "Them"?

Originally posted by yecul
Bad idea?

Yup, bad idea.
The original stands very well on its own, and succeeds quite well without computer interference. It was well cast and photographed beautifully. The screenplay was concise and the dialogue was naturaistic and believable. And the special effects, while not 21st Century state-of-the-art, were convincing enough and never took you out of the story.
There has to be better uses for computers than mucking up something that was done so well the first time.
Old 04-09-03, 02:43 PM

Well, yes, the original does stand well. I guess my point was, why not make another mindless movie (yes, those are fun too) with big old ants instead of ______ (fill in monster).

I enjoyed Eight Legged Freaks (a bit too campy) and think ants could work well in an Aliens sort of way.

I'm not looking for a classic or a flim, just entertainment. And watching big ants run amock could be that.
Old 04-09-03, 11:50 PM
Rest in Peace

OMG I have seen this one over 300 times, now I have the DVD disc

The only phony thing about the ants were that they moved to slow. When did you ever see a slow ant you could put your foot down on, and still see the aunt running at warp 7. In the 1954 movie they had the ants crawling at a snails pace, had they be able to use what is available today; the movie could get down right frightening IMHO!

In Godzilla 1998 it was the radiation lingering that made the first of it's kind. There are quite a number of stories that involve radiation. Boris Karloff and Nick Adams had a story where Karloff found a rock that smoked that could be chipped down and it grew plants 20 times their size, but like Fiend Without a Face their was a dark side that was unknown to the movie goers. A lot of Japanese movies Godzilla, Rodan and others went with the radiation theory, radiation has caused more bombs at the box office than actual detonations. I have Beyond Trinity the Atom Bomb movie, there were about 50 exploded above gound next to the hundreds of stinkers at the box office.

All the ray guns that have had radiation
like the ray gunn used by the crew of the
Forbidden Planet Saucer in 1956. The list goes on how radiation was the root of THEM and so many hundreds of movies on the simular scenario. BTW When is the new THEM coming out, hope it does better than some other sequels that have been made.
Old 04-10-03, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by DonnachaOne

COMING SOON - THEM! 2003

I think some classics should be left well alone. And by 'some', I mean, of course, 'all'.
Ditto. Remaking this film would be a huge mistake. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 04-10-03, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's perfect just the way it is.
Old 04-11-03, 09:02 PM

I don't belong to the "remakes ruin the original" crowd--mainly because a bad remake just makes us appreciate the originals even more.

I'd love to see a quality remake of any classic movie, but IMO most remakes are done not because of some great artistic vision but because it's easier than coming up with a wholly original idea.