DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Your biggest film disapointments? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/284288-your-biggest-film-disapointments.html)

chanster 04-30-03 09:30 AM

I'll vote TPM as well.

Others already mentioned: Patriot, Mission Impossible

Daniel I 04-30-03 10:41 AM

Street Fighter: The Movie

I really did not have very high hopes for a Video Game turned Movie title, but I think the potential was there for at least a Bloodsport type actian movie. After re-reading the sentence I just typed I laughed out loud. rotfl

Star Wars EP 1 and 2

I really wish they had used an older and different Anakin for these movies. I also wished they had removed the whole Force backround (yech a parasite?) I could go on but at least I found them entertaining if not classics!

Morf 04-30-03 11:50 AM

The Scorpion King. What a freakin' waste of time.

Capo2002 04-30-03 11:56 AM

I gotta say I was dissapointed by Spirited Away. I was expecting a masterpiece, but I was letdown. I thought the animations were amazing, but the characters weren't interesting to me, and the story was somewhat dull in my opinion.

bcd 05-01-03 01:25 AM

the perfect storm...for whatever reason I thought that the ship made it back, so I wasn't expecting them to be lost at sea. I was disappointed. Either it was disappointment or the feeling of stupidity that I wasn't aware of the outcome of a true story.

Saxofonix 05-06-03 01:26 AM

Blade Runner completely screwed up one of my favourite books by P.K.D.

dunno260 05-06-03 01:58 AM

Signs - Mostly what has been said. Could have been so much more, but wasn't.

Saving Private Ryan - Its ok, but I never thought it was what it is said to be. A good war film, but there are much better ones out there.

The Matrix - I like it, but it was so overhyped to me that I was expecting the best film ever made, and of course, didn't get it.

MIB II - It was ok, but it was too short and just not what the first one was.

DJ_Spyder 05-06-03 04:05 AM

Where to begin?

Let's start with Star Wars Eps 1 & 2 bad script and acting nuff said.

Soldier Escape from New York and Escape from LA Kurt Russel just doesn't do it for me.

Braveheart Lethal Weapon 4 and Partiot Mad Mel goes wild I don't buy it and his comedy What Women want sucked.

Popeye,Toys The world according to Garth Robin Williams tries to hard for anyone to take him seriously as a dramatic actor.

Well that is all I can think of for now.

Steve Phillips 05-06-03 02:55 PM

JAWS 3-D

One of the best concepts (and titles) ever, but the film itself didn't live up to the premise or the promise!

Dabaomb 05-06-03 03:25 PM

I'm going with Gangs of New York. This was my most highly anticipated movie of last year after watching a preview for it on Scary Movie 2. Maybe I expected way too much, but I think Martin tried to put too much stuff into the movie. I'll give it another try on DVD but I was terribly disappointed when I saw it in theaters.

Another biggie: Blair Witch Project. A movie so hyped and the scariest part of it was seeing someone throw up in the movie theater aisle cuz of the shaky camerawork.

ToddSm66 05-06-03 03:26 PM

A.I.

I had mistankenly worked myself into a frenzy thinking this would be a "Stanley Kubrick movie", but it was far from that. Everybody always talks about how bad the ending is, but I personally didn't find the first two hours all that special either.

Lastblade 05-06-03 06:28 PM

Punch Drunk Love.... read so many positive reviews on it and it turns out to be very annoying (to say the least) and pretentious....

Wag 05-09-03 04:13 PM

ID4 - I got sucked into the hype, and thinking that the mood created in teasers and trailers, and the first part of the movie would continue throughout. The ending and cheese factor taught me never to have too high of expectations for a movie...

which leads me to Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace - evidently I didn't learn the lesson from ID4 too well. But come on, after a 15-20 year build up since the last one, how could you not have high expectations? Subsequent viewings have shown me that it isn't quite as bad as I initially felt it was. However, I do have to say, right or wrong, it definitely changed the way I felt about the franchise (for the worse).

harpo787 05-09-03 06:25 PM

I'm never really disappointed by films much anymore, I've learned not to set standards too high...it seems the higher your expectations, the bigger the disappointment comes....Phantom Menace is proof of that with all the disappointment. While I wasn't CRUSHED by how "bad" it was, it did take a few viewings for the movie to truly grow on me. With that said, I think my real disappointment is that no one reacted to posts like these:

posted by Conscience, regarding X-Men:
"Got to agree on this one. But, I would go as far to say it was a POS.

The script was horrible, the acting was wretched, and the direction was awful.

Also, the film can't be that good when every actor was totally wrong for their roles in this film, even Patrick Stewart who even looks like Prof. X !!!!

Finally, the only reason I am seeing X2 is because of Brian Cox."

So what you're saying here is that you're going to (have already gone?) see a movie that was directed by the same guy, with the same actors in it, despite that it was a "total POS"? I'm not sure I follow such logic....

One more confusing post, from Dudikoff, regarding Lord of The Rings Two Towers:

"Lord of the Rings: TT - I've seen it twice and was bored out of my skull both times. I loved the first one and will definitely buy the Extended Edition of this three hour snoozer, but I never want to see it again."

So you'll fork over cash for a movie that you didn't like the "shortened version" of that you never plan on watching again.....

I love the human race....they never cease to amaze and amuse me.

TheAllPurposeNothing 05-10-03 09:00 AM

Toys - Really funny trailer and built on a great concept (a number of large toy manufacturers also produce parts for weapons). Beautiful design, interesting score...but befuddling, confusing, boring, and for large stretches, wretched.

Mystery Men - Sold on it from a still in an Entertainment Weekly summer movie preview. Still want my money back.

Terminator 2 - Thing was built up to no end by friends. Just came across as loud, poorly acted (except by J. Morton), and much ado about nothing. Proof that special effects alone don't make a movie. One of the weakest sequels ever.

Titanic - Same as Terminator 2...just replace J. Morton with Kathy Bates and its not a sequel.

Star Wars (1976) - Only the first time I saw it. A friend took the time to explain every scene in the film before we saw it. Sitting at the theatre, we just shook our heads..all the suprise was gone. Much better after seeing on a re-release right before ROTJ was released.

Lateralus42 05-10-03 10:24 AM

Spirited Away. I heard all the hype surrounding this movie, but it was all hype. even my kid hated it. It was slow, tepid, boring, kind of like a Pokemon movie that *tried* to be serious.

marioxb 05-10-03 02:57 PM

Movies I hated: About Shmidt (I have no idea why I even went to this, I was dragged there by friends), My Big Fat Greek Wedding ( I actually like the TV series better, it's funnier), pretty much anything that the Fraiser TV character would like. Pretty much any oscar, academy awards, etc. winners suck. MTV movie awards winner movies are cool. I'd probably like what Frasier's dad likes. As long as the movie has one or more of these: guns, explosions, lots of comedy (Dumb and Dumber, etc.), hot babes, car chases, special effects, etc, it's awesome in my book. I love xXx, M:I 2, Signs, T2, ID4, Daredevil, Mr. Deeds, Anger Management, X1, X2, Spider-Man. I pretty much like anything that's not "boring". (Meaning chick-flicks, About Sh_t, etc.)

LBPound 05-10-03 03:37 PM

The Score

Extremely talented actors from three different generations, a relatively interesting plot (in theory), and a director whose work I like...

Not bad, just a "disappointment" in every sense of the word.

mookyman 05-10-03 04:03 PM

Originally posted by marioxb
As long as the movie has one or more of these: guns, explosions, lots of comedy (Dumb and Dumber, etc.), hot babes, car chases, special effects, etc, it's awesome in my book.

Didn't I see you in Heavy Metal Parking Lot?

NiCK Crush 05-10-03 07:06 PM

Originally posted by TheAllPurposeNothing

Terminator 2 - Thing was built up to no end by friends. Just came across as loud, poorly acted (except by J. Morton), and much ado about nothing. Proof that special effects alone don't make a movie. One of the weakest sequels ever.

wow...

T2 is like the definition of great sequels to me... it is leaps and bounds better than The Terminator.

jfoobar 05-10-03 10:12 PM

Originally posted by NiCK Crush
wow...

T2 is like the definition of great sequels to me... it is leaps and bounds better than The Terminator.

In terms of special effects, yes. In any other way I can think of, not even.

JaxComet 05-10-03 11:24 PM

Originally posted by Mammal
The Bonfire of the Vanities. It should have been a classic.

Were people really anticipating this one?

LivingINClip 05-10-03 11:57 PM

The Matrix - I knew a lot of people swore by it, but I was never impressed..Now Reloaded, looks like it may change my mind...

Batman Returns - I agree with the above poster. I for one , loved the 1989 Batman. I thought Burton done a great job. So, I expected more and better stuff for Burton in his sequel. He had the cast, he lacked the story. It just totally fell apart durin' the second half.

Spider-Man - I had waited this all my childhood and walked out dissapointed. The outfits needed work, as they looked like a cheap TV Power-Ranger's outfits. The story was tweaked to much for my likes .

X-Men - Borin'!

Men in Black 2 - Loved the first one. Hated the second. Worst ..Product..Endorsement ever!!! (and you know what I'm talking about Sony!)

Hannibal - Huge fan of 'ManHunter' (Red Dragon) and 'Silence of the Lambs'. Read the book way before the movie came out and thought if they changed the endings a bit, it could be a great movie. I was wrong. Ridley Scott ruined that movie. Terrible, long and borin'.

The Evil Dead trilogy - I have heard the ravings . I don't understand the appeal.

CheapBastid 05-11-03 11:45 PM

Cool World - in the trailer it appeared to be a fantastic romp, but was a mess on film

Toys - Similar to what others said, was excited by the look and premise, and it the movie had real potential that it didn't really know what to do with

Fifth Element - Started out strong, but I think Mr. Besson didn't know how to do the carry into and create the 2nd half of the movie.

Batman - I had high hopes for the film, and reading the initial script it could have been much better than it turned out to be. Wonderful looking, but not dark enough for my tastes. I still seethe over the decision to have Vicki Vale brought into the Batcave (yeah, I'm a Dark Knight geek).

vallerie 05-12-03 04:54 PM

The Mummy Returns - I thought I was going to enjoy this sequel as much as the first one. The movie is good, but not as good to get the DVD.

The Nutty Professor 2: The Klumps I thought I was going to enjoy this movie, but in my opinion it wasn't as funny as the first one. Maybe because of Janet Jackson. She really didn't carry that much spark and she wasn't really that funny.

Batman Forever & Batman and Robin The 3rd Batman was midocre, but not as good. Batman and Robin was terrible. Boring!! Joel Schumacher (or maker, or how ever you spell his name) ruined a great series. Wish Tim Burton could've directed this two.