DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Your biggest film disapointments? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/284288-your-biggest-film-disapointments.html)

Dudikoff 04-07-03 11:41 PM

Lord of the Rings: TT - I've seen it twice and was bored out of my skull both times. I loved the first one and will definitely buy the Extended Edition of this three hour snoozer, but I never want to see it again. The pacing is horrible and you feel as though you are just moving from one seperate scene to another. Nothing flows. Reminds me of Godfather II in that it the entire movie is filled with padding just to show off a few important events.

PaperStreetSoapCo 04-08-03 04:11 AM

I'd have to agree with SW: TPM, among others.

My most recent disappointment was Dreamcatcher. Was really excited to see it, first hour or so was pretty good, then it went down a really steep hill into absurdity.

Joe Schmoe 04-08-03 09:29 PM

I'd have to say "Attack of the Clones" followed closely by "The Phantom Menace." TPM was a HUGE letdown, but I really thought after all the criticism it received George Lucas would have learned from the mistakes he made with it and not repeat them with AOTC. Unfortunately, he made the same mistakes with AOTC and a few new ones. Being a fan of the SW saga, I had to learn to like the prequels.

pagos77 04-09-03 04:39 AM

I would have to say Brazil...after everyone pumped it like it was the best thing since sliced bread, I bought it and got rid of it. I tried watching it twice and just thought it was very average. Said it before and I'll say it again, I doubt this film would have been recognised in cult circles if it wasnt for the much publicised fued between Gilliam and the studio.

braveheart32 04-28-03 10:01 AM

I'm bringing new life to this thread since I am new to the site.

Windtalkers- I turned this off after 30 minutes. It was the worst thing I have ever laid eyes on. John Woo should not be able to make movies again it was so bad.

Daredevil- After Spiderman pulled off a big hit (although I thought it decent), this one sucked the proverbial egg. Affleck sucked...the action sucked, the ending fight suck. If it wasn't for Collin Farrell, there would be nothing redeeming about the movie.

cupcake jesus 04-28-03 10:56 AM

Like half of the free world, The Phantom Menace was a let-down for me--I like the film, but I was expecting something magical.

Also...The Patriot--I've always thought that there was a great movie in the American Revolution somewhere, but Mel Gibson did his best to prove me wrong. Worst movie I've ever seen in the theater.

The Nature Boy 04-28-03 12:31 PM

Originally posted by tofu
Spiderman - This movie was alright but it could have been so much better.

How?

Tommy_Harn 04-28-03 12:59 PM

Signs - Could have and should have been an excellent thriller. I wish it was.

We Were Soldiers - Braveheart-to-Patriot-to-WWS: The first was great, the second weak, the third was unwatchable. But Mel Gibson was just one of the dozens of elements that failed for this one.

Gdrlv 04-28-03 02:50 PM

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back - Turned me off of Kevin Smith, and Jersey Girl doesn't sound like it's gonna bring my faith in the man back.

Signs - Read glowing reviews, and it ended up being one of the worst movies I've ever seen. One of the only times I left a movie theater angry.

BuckeyeDawg 04-28-03 03:21 PM

Donnie Darko - HORRIBLE. Can't even begin to describe how bad I thought this was. And for a A ton of reasons. I'm awestruck when I STILL hear people talking about how good this was.

Chasing Amy - Kevin Smith should stick to brainless comedy.

Last of the Mohicans - Borrowed the Extended version, which was a little under two hours long. And as bad as I thought it was, my question is why release the extended version? Do we really need a two hour version of a bad 90 minute movie? Running, climbing, and more running. Below average acting, ridiculously stupid dialogue, and poor cinematography.

Rocky_Stallone 04-28-03 04:33 PM

"Signs" - I was expecting it to be a really good sci-fi thriller, but instead it turned out to be a boring family comedy that seems like a total X-Files ripoff. I was very dissapointed by this movie. I will not buy the DVD becaue it's something I could never watch over again. This is a one time only thing for me. Mel Gibson doing science fiction just doesn't work, he just looks like a silly old geezer.

"Knockaround Guys" - Man, was this movie terrible, the only reason I watched this movie was for the great cast they had in it: John Malkovich, Dennis Hopper, Vin Diesel, Seth Green, etc. The plot to this movie was silly as hell and done so many times. This movie is just laughable. After I saw this, I said to myself "This is the end of John Malkovich's career". :-/

"Ghost of Mars" - I was expecting this movie to turn out to be a cool sci-fi action flick, but instead it turned out to be like a low budget B-movie with bad acting. Go figure, Carpenter's career is over, folks.

"John Q" - Not a really bad movie but I was dissapointed by it. Denzel Washington is an amazing actor, but this movie was boring and it didn't entertain me one bit. It was too predictable of a story.

"Mr. Deeds" - Adam Sandler movies are boring me to death now, I used to love him but now I'm done with him.

"Domestic Disturbance" - The acting by Travolta and Vaughn wasn't bad but it's the movie being too predictable and not being as entertaining is what made me feel dissapointed by it.

That's all I can think of as of now.

Pants 04-28-03 04:45 PM

Originally posted by BuckeyeDawg
Last of the Mohicans - Borrowed the Extended version, which was a little under two hours long. And as bad as I thought it was, my question is why release the extended version? Do we really need a two hour version of a bad 90 minute movie? Running, climbing, and more running. Below average acting, ridiculously stupid dialogue, and poor cinematography.
Just wanted to point out the Directors cut is only 7 minutes longer and actually deletes some material. Also the cinematography most assuradly DOES NOT SUCK.

ckolchak 04-28-03 05:31 PM

Originally posted by The Nature Boy
"spider-man could have been better"
How?

the green goblin was the biggest deficet, followed by several very poorly written scenes, and , imo a performance by JK Simmons as JJJ that is a little too broad, and too eager for laughs.
i used to think that Dunst & Maguire dind't have much chemistry together , but upon reflection i have to agree with someone elses criticism i read that the scenes they have together in the hospital and at the cemetary are just poorly written.
they are dense with dialouge.
the scenes would have been better served by concision.
the goblin though, is the real problem.
it's bad enough that you can't see the hero's mouth or eyes. when you can't really see the villans either, it makes the scenes of the two of them really limp.
Dafoe should have had make-up and appliances for sure.
for as many wise choices as Rami made, he dropped the ball big time with this one.

but Spider-man wasn't a big disappointment for me the first couple of times i saw it.
By far my biggest disappointments were
Return Of The Jedi
and
Superman II
i was trying to watch the latter yesterday, in an attempt to keep X2 in perspective, and it was as awful as always.
cheap, crass, & stupid.
and i don't think a Donner cut could save it.
several of the worst, most wrong-headed scenes were actually his .

iggystar 04-28-03 07:20 PM

Seeing how I took the day off from work and got up at 6 a.m. to wait until 3 p.m. on a rainy day to buy tickets I would have to give another vote to "The Phantom Menace". I have not watched it since I saw it on the big screen.

But this, like a few other movies, I got so hyped up to see it that after the movie was over I convinced myself that it was good but in retrospect I realized that it was not really so.

One other movie I was disappointed in was "Goldeneye". I just remember seeing MI:2 and thinking, "Wow, that's what a spy movie is supposed to be about!"

Chipmaker 04-28-03 08:24 PM

Mission To Mars -- when I saw the trailer, my first thought was "Kubrick did it better." Then I actually watched M2M, and it was atrocious. Bad plotting, bad acting, bad physics, bad Spfx... gaah! It took a decent premise -- what if there was a Face on Mars, and it was alien? -- and went nowhere interesting, ending up at a lame "we begat you" conclusion.

BuckeyeDawg 04-29-03 02:09 PM

Pants: Last of the Mohicans - just because there is some beautiful scenery, doesn't mean the camerawork is any good. I think the cinematography does suck. In a lot of the night scenes, I could barely tell what the hell is going on, and in the some of the fight scenes, I felt like I was in the battle... in other words, totally disoriented and confused. To me, that is very poor cinematography. I do not want to get lost in a very contrived use of the camera... For example, the fight scenes in "Saving Private Ryan" are much more complex, were filmed with a hand-held, and you never get "lost" in the scene.

Just my opinion though, and I certain respect yours. You bring a lot of insight on the forums. Keep it up...

:D

Giles 04-29-03 02:49 PM

Originally posted by braveheart32

Windtalkers- I turned this off after 30 minutes. It was the worst thing I have ever laid eyes on. John Woo should not be able to make movies again it was so bad.

the violence for violence sake was simply gratituous. like, where was the story and character development. Simply unbelievably bad.

Pants 04-29-03 02:59 PM

Originally posted by BuckeyeDawg
Pants: Last of the Mohicans - just because there is some beautiful scenery, doesn't mean the camerawork is any good. I think the cinematography does suck. In a lot of the night scenes, I could barely tell what the hell is going on, and in the some of the fight scenes, I felt like I was in the battle... in other words, totally disoriented and confused. To me, that is very poor cinematography. I do not want to get lost in a very contrived use of the camera... For example, the fight scenes in "Saving Private Ryan" are much more complex, were filmed with a hand-held, and you never get "lost" in the scene.

Dante Spinotti is most assuradly a good cinematographer. And Michael Mann is a great director. If the fight scenes are disorienting then that's the way the filmmaker intended it. And since that is something belonging more to the realm of the director you can't blame the cinematographer anyway.

If you find the night scenes too dark, calibrate your set properly and watch in a darkened room. I'll agree the night scenes are VERY DARK, but in a proper viewing environment they look great. I'm not judging the cinematogrphy only on beautiful scenery either; look at the scene of the surender at the fort. With the smoke in the air the scene has a truely magical feeling. The close-ups of the actresses are gorgeous and near perfect.

NCMojo 04-29-03 03:16 PM

Hand down winner... Highlander 2.

........The Planet Zeist.

........500 Years Ago.

Whaaaa? (eye rub) I said, whaaaa?

Hey, we all loved the first film, and eagerly awaited the second, but this movie was so abysmally awful...

BuckeyeDawg 04-29-03 03:32 PM

Pants: I'll give it a second chance, and use your suggestions. I watched it while I was in the process of moving, so that may not have helped the viewing.

Pants 04-29-03 04:02 PM

Uhh yeah, it probably did -rolleyes-

jaeufraser 04-29-03 07:36 PM

I'll put Mission Impossible 2 on this list. I really enjoyed the first one, and liked the idea of a new director for a new spy movie. The Bond movies weren't donig it for me, so this was supposed to be awesome. Well, it wasn't even mediocre. i thought it was AWFUL. Just a terrible movie. Stupid love story, flat characters, didn't have any real espionage in it, the action scenes were short and only the motorcycle chase was even mildly decent. What a waste. It seemed more like Tom Cruise ejaculated all over the screen than a movie.

KyleJBre_et 04-30-03 12:27 AM

I'd have to say Tuck Everlasting. I have to admit: the trailers had me very excited. I didn't get a chance to see it in theatres so I bought it on DVD the day it came out. I got through it, and it just felt empty. Like it didn't have a point to it. I guess I'll watch it again, and if it doesn't change my mind I'm going to e-bay it.

DarkestPhoenix 04-30-03 02:45 AM

Generation X the TV movie...

I thought it would make way for the X-Men movie, but after seeing it, I thought, "Great. Another five years..."

And..............It was.

BuckeyeDawg 04-30-03 08:41 AM

Pants: Sat down and watched LotM last night in the new "theater room" in the new place, and still didn't get much out of it overall. Though the darker scenes were improved, while watching it in a dark environment. I think the cinematography leaves to be desired. But certainly didn't see anything to change my mind from what I originally thought of the film...