Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Phone Booth-what's the buzz?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Phone Booth-what's the buzz?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-03, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm still not getting all these huge plot holes everyone is talking about. Anyone care to explain? The only thing I can think of is this:

Spoiler:
There is really no doubt that Sutherland will be caught eventually, because his fingerprints are all over his apartment, plus Stu could identify him. So the plot hole would be the fact that nobody as intelligent and mindful of his actions as this killer would have shown his face to Stu at the end.

But that's not even a very big deal.
Old 04-06-03, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok...I guess Im on this bandwagon (although it almost seems to be reversed on this thread). I thought the movie was awesome. Dealt with some morrality issues in a new way and brought up a lot of "check yourself" questions. On top of that it definately held my attention and I found myself wondering what would happen next, wonderful acting I thought (even Sutherlands voice was good in this one...I agree that he is usually hard to watch in movies but I thought he sounded great here), and it was fun too! One of the best movies I have seen in a while (well, about 3 months or so). I give it pretty high marks...9.5 out of 10...I loved it and highly recommend it.
Old 04-06-03, 11:02 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
even at 81 minutes this movie seemed too long.
Old 04-06-03, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Saw it Friday afternoon. Thought it was a solid movie. I give it 3 out of 4 stars, it would be 3 1/2 but I cannot bring myself to totally gush on a Joel Schumacher film.
The movie was very brisk and well paced. Furthermore, kudos to the movie for ending when it did after only 81 minutes or so; a typical Hollywood move would have been for
Spoiler:
Sutherland to follow Farrell to his home and then try to take both he and his wife out in an addendum that did little more than give the audience the satisfaction of seeing the villain die. But they didn't, Sutherland got away. Also, if they did catch him, I doubt Farrell would be able to postively identify him as he was under the influence of drugs when he finally saw him and might have thought his mind jaded.

I highle recommend this movie. Entertains, makes you think, and does so without taking up too much of your time. Something I wish more movies could do nowadays.
Old 04-06-03, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As I said before, I have been waiting for this movie for two years. I finally saw it today, and I have to admit, I was a little dissapointed. I will spoiler just in case:

Spoiler:
My main source of dissapointment was the ending. I wanted to know more about Sutherland's character, and why he did what he did. Who was he, and why was he able to get so close to Farrell in the ambulance without anyone really taking notice of him? I know that they think that they have the guy, but wouldn't they still keep a close watch on Farrell? He did, after all, have a gun (left for him by Sutherland). And Farrell didn't tell the cops about the other murders that Sutherland committed (on screen anyway).

I wholeheartedly agree with the casting change from Ron Eldard to Keifer Sutherland however.
Old 04-06-03, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
movieking: what you listed as weak points I found to be strong points. Then again, I love movies with lots of ambiguity that more or less leave it up to the viewer to decide what happens. I really don't like having everything spelled out for me. The fact that we know very little about Sutherland's character makes more of an impact IMO than if we knew all about him. Mysterious characters rock!
Old 04-06-03, 02:46 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Good flick. My only complaint was that (spoiler for another movie that came out a couple years ago):

Spoiler:
The ending was almost exactly the same as Joyride
Old 04-06-03, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Groucho: I mentioned the same thing to the people that I saw it with. However, this is a much better movie.

Dr. DVD: I am usually with you about mysterious characters, but I really felt that even a hint of a backstory for Sutherland would have made this a better movie, IMO.
Old 04-06-03, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Isn't it for the most part that unless you don't watch 24, it isn't obvious that it is Sutherland as the killer. Plus they even mention his name in the tv spots.
Old 04-06-03, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by Rypro PG-13
Isn't it for the most part that unless you don't watch 24, it isn't obvious that it is Sutherland as the killer. Plus they even mention his name in the tv spots.
Did you mean "unless you do watch 24"? But still, Sutherland is a pretty recognizable star outside of 24.
Old 04-06-03, 06:46 PM
Banned

I hated it. Every second. It seemed like WAAAY more than 81 minutes. I think Joes Schumacher is over-rated. I cant tell exactly what I didnt like, but I know I couldnt wait for the movie to end.

By the way, I used to live on 51st & 8th and its not even close to resembling the alleged area where the fild "took" place.
Old 04-06-03, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

damn...all the no no birds are out today.

regarding sutherland's character...i dont think they wanted to talk too much about his character. the point of the movie had very little to do with the characters if you ask me (more of a morality statement). but thats just my take on it...if you disliked the movie...thats cool too
Old 04-06-03, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw this yesterday--thought the beginning was a bit too stylized, but I love the confessional booth imagery, and the claustrophobia of the whole thing. Very Panic Room-y--highly recommended.

My 2 cents.
Old 04-06-03, 10:43 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
I really enjoyed this film - the Sutherland character is obviously terribly disturbed. I mean, we know from the film:

Spoiler:

... that he's a murderer - he killed two people in the movie (even if we don't see him kill either one, it is suggested by the filmmakers that he killed both the pimp and the pizza guy), admitted to murdering two others, and threatened to kill Farrell's character, the cop played by Whittaker, and Farrell's movie wife and movie girlfriend (I had originally named the characters but decided against it so as to not send people off to IMDB to find out who I'm talking about)

What's his "motivation" for killing anyone? These people have not injured him in any way. He already told Farrell that he was not an actor. He lied about being in Vietnam. So why do this? For the kink of it? For the thrill? I'm not sure I'm buying that, either. It doesn't make any sense.

And obviously because Farrell confessed the sniper let him go. He was right there alone with him in the ambulance and could have killed him if he wanted to. So is the sniper supposed to be some kind of angel because he transformed this pathetic (but not evil) man's life?

Oh, and why make such a point that Farrell's character *didn't* cheat on his wife? To show that he's not that bad of a person? Doesn't that defeat the whole point?

The above refers to the "plot-holes" that critics are talking about, but if you read the spoilers, they will ruin your enjoyment of the film, I think.

As much as it's flawed, it's an engaging and enjoyable time at the movies - it moves quickly and is action-packed not because of car chases or explosions, but because of the tense situation and the cat-mouse game between the sniper and his potential victim.

Good point about comparisions of Phone Booth to Panic Room (ad Forrest Whittaker was in both), although the latter was a superior film, I thought. Fincher is genius.

Don't worry about not liking this film because of Schumacher. He's made good films before and will again. Just because he made a couple mediocre Batman franchise movies does not make him a schlock director off his game.

-- Jough
Old 04-07-03, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This was worth the wait.

Very good and intense.

A little too short because I also would've liked to have know
about Sutherland's character a little bit more.

This towers over most of what Hollywood produces so I wish some this nitpicky people would stop complaining so much.

It's a moooooviiiiiieeee , suspend some belief for a change.
Old 04-08-03, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This movie was awesome! I saw it today and loved every second. Colin F. was on point and i enjoyed his sarcastic remarks he delivered to the cops when he was in the booth. Even tho i agree its best that Kiefer's character remained mysterious, i would of been cool to know more about him. Kiefer made that character extremely intriguing and without even showing his face, too bad we dont see enough of Kiefer in films today, he kicked a$$ in The Lost Boys and Flatliners!
Old 04-08-03, 08:04 AM

This was better than I expected. I enjoyed Schumacher going balls to the wall with such over the top melodrama. He goes more for the fable angle than any type of realism. "The caller" is essentially a psychopathic Jiminy Cricket to Farrell's Pinocchio. It's just a goofy crisis of conscience taken to the nth degree, but still mildly fun to watch.
Old 04-08-03, 08:48 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally the sniper was Ron Eldard, later reshoots cast Keifer Sutherland.
Old 04-09-03, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jonny#5
I think Joes Schumacher is over-rated.
First of all, his name is Joel. Second of all, how can he be overrated? He's like the least-respected director working. Some people can't get past Batman & Robin.

If anything, he's far underrated as I now count 5 good-to-great movies I've seen of his - The Client, Batman Forever, Phone Booth, Falling Down, A Time To Kill.

I did like Phone Booth overall, but my problems...

Spoiler:
Stu telling him that the police were closing in on him. Why would he do that and give him the chance to escape? I know tense situations can prevent you from thinking logically, but it was just an incredibly stupid thing.

As a few others mentioned, there's never any reason given for the sniper's madness. I liked how the standard Hollywood reasons are given ('Nam, unhappy childhood) and turned on their ass and played for laughs. In some way, I'm glad they didn't give a reason because all the reasons are cliched.

Ending was okay. I thought the pacing was good, and Ferrell did a fair job - after all he was visually carrying the entire film, and he didn't disappoint.
Old 04-10-03, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

<QUOTE> Originally posted by LBPound
Spoiler:
Stu telling him that the police were closing in on him. Why would he do that and give him the chance to escape? I know tense situations can prevent you from thinking logically, but it was just an incredibly stupid thing. </QUOTE>

I assumed it was to
Spoiler:
distract the sniper’s attention from him and his wife---IIRC the sniper stated he was going to shoot Stu.
Old 04-11-03, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One huge plot hole would be.....

Spoiler:
Stu should have know as soon as he saw the pizza guy's body that the police had the wrong man. Stu spoke to him for about 5 minutes and should have been able to easily tell that his basic New York accent sounded nothing like Keifer Sutherland's creepy voice.....
Old 04-11-03, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Spoiler:
coulda had one of those voice distorters, ala scream movies
Old 04-11-03, 08:29 PM

I thought it was pretty good, 8/10. But this is just my 2 cents...
Old 04-12-03, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I saw this last night and I have to say I loved it! It was much better than I thought it would be (I expected it to be good, but it really blew me away). **** out of five.

I thought Colin Farrell was superb. The rest of the cast was excellent. Liked the dialogue. Didn't mind the mysterious/lack of a back-story for the sniper at all. The pacing in this film was perfect - it wasn't too short or too long. My favorite part of the movie was Kiefer's voice-track and how it was utilized. Very creative, imo. I thought it added a lot to the movie. Loved the camerawork as well.

This was easily the second-best movie I have seen this year. I am really surprised that some didn't like it, oh well - their loss.
Old 04-12-03, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by audrey
<QUOTE> Originally posted by LBPound
Spoiler:
Stu telling him that the police were closing in on him. Why would he do that and give him the chance to escape? I know tense situations can prevent you from thinking logically, but it was just an incredibly stupid thing. </QUOTE>

I assumed it was to
Spoiler:
distract the sniper’s attention from him and his wife---IIRC the sniper stated he was going to shoot Stu.
I thought of that too, but if anything,

Spoiler:
His whole attitude of "They know and they're coming for you" was so arrogant that it seemed foolish to provoke a guy with a rifle pointed on the few important people in your life.

It didn't ruin the movie or anything for me, just seemed to be kinda weird. Good movie overall, though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.