Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Fanfan la Tulipe, Wasabi duo strikes again...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-03, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fanfan la Tulipe is a coming swashbuckling film that is written by Luc Besson and directed by Gérard Krawczyk's (Wasabi). Well, Wasabi was not what I expected, however this duo is now directing another film, a remake of Fanfan la Tulipe (original by Christian-Jaque in 1952) that is going to open in Cannes on May 15th this year. And for you who are interested in the cast you can see Penélope Cruz. Here is a pic from the film.

I just hope it does not turn out like Wasabi...what do you think about this?

Edited: I am not changing my mind here, I also enjoyed Wasabi, but I did not think it was the high quality film that I think I received in Big Blue or Leon. I thought Wasabi was a comic action trip that entertained, however, it did not give me the same retrospectice pondering as other films that Luc has done. Maybe I had too high expectations, which means I might have to see the film again.

Last edited by DVD Smurf; 03-31-03 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-31-03, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I for one liked Wasabi, it really felt like a crazy japanese cartoon in terms of the exaggeration of the violence. Reno was cool and his daughter and partner were hilarious. Of course, a more fleshed out movie wouldve been better, but I think people were maybe expecting The Proffesional 2. Im a big fan of Besson's writing and producing efforts-Taxi 1,2,3, Wasabi, Yamakasi, Transporter and Kiss of the Dragon.
Old 03-31-03, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I really enjoyed watching Wasabi, and, as always, look forward to pretty much anything Besson works on. The summary IMDB has for the original movie sounds good, and I can definitely see this being a very fun adventure movie.

Fanfan is a young handsome peasant. He joins the army to escape marriage and because a gipsy girl predicted he will get glory and the king's daughter as a wife. But the gipsy girl was in fact Adeline, the daughter of the recruiting officer. Once he has discovered the stratagem, Fanfan refuses to forget this dream and decides to fulfill the destiny of the fake prediction. Fantastic swashbuckling adventures in a 18th century setting, with a light criticism of the war and the mighty.
Vincent Perez is playing Fanfan and Penelope Cruz is Adeline.

If the advance poster is any indication, it's going to be a gorgeous-looking film, to boot.

Besson is a madman. He's working on, like, 12 different movies over the next year... and I love it.
Old 03-31-03, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Click the following address for the trailer, right under the poster where it says Bande Annonce.
http://www.allocine.fr/film/fichefil...ilm=44653.html
Old 03-31-03, 06:30 PM

I'm always up for a good swashbuckler, and the fact that Luc Besson is involved makes it all that much better. Hopefully we'll see some kind of stateside release of this in the near future.
Old 03-31-03, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked Wasabi for what it is, not for what I wanted it to be. Yes, Leon has much more depth and is more introspective. But, after all, Luc Besson did NOT direct Wasabi.

I'm not sure if I will be interested in Fanfan. I took a chance on Wasabi partially because I also like Jean Reno.
Old 04-06-03, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Luc Besson = Good
Jean Reno = Good

Luc Besson + Jean Reno = Great

Vincent Perez = Good

Vincent Perez + Luc Besson = Possibly Great (dunno as I've never seen Perez in anything written and/or directed by Besson)

Penelope Cruz = Bad

Luc Besson + Vincent Perez + Penelope Cruz = Maybe Good (I've never liked her in any film I've seen her in - not even Abre Los Ojos which was great)

But, who knows? She might surprise me.
Old 04-07-03, 12:57 AM
Banned

I heard great about wasabi

Plus it costars one of the hottest japanese idols working today.

Not to mention you can't go wrong with any movie starring Vlade Divac