Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Frank Darabont

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-03, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Frank Darabont

forgive me if this is a repeat thread, but the search page isn't loading on my computer for some reason.

I just went to Harry Knowles page, and they were talking about Frank Darabont and Indiana Jones IV.

Is Darabont really that good? Personally, I think he's all hype. I would normally reserve my opinions, till everyone expresses their views, but i guess it's okay to say what's on one's mind right away.

I saw Shawshank Redemption, which was okay, but fundamentally in the end, it was cliche'. The Green Mile had some magic moments, but basically it was hackneyed. I mean, Shawshank was meant to be quirky at times, but it wasn't that delightful. If you want quirky, watch Tim Burton's Mars Attacks. And Michael Clarke Duncan, though an imposing figure, didn't really deserve the oscar nomination. i liked him more in Daredevil (okay, the guy can act)

anyway, so what do you guys think of Frank Darabont's style and movies?
Old 03-29-03, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I loved Shawshank and Green Mile. Liked The Majestic. So I can't complain.
Old 03-29-03, 12:03 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Darabont wrote for "The Young Indiana Jones" chronicles, so I think he's a good choice. The Majestic wasn't very good, but he didn't write that one.
Old 03-29-03, 12:15 PM

Just be glad it's not Brett Ratner.
Old 03-29-03, 01:56 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I think Darabont would be a great choice. He's directed 3 solid movies in a row, so he's got my respect.
Old 03-29-03, 02:33 PM
Banned

I don't think you got Shawshank. When you say it was meant to be quirky when it wasn't and then said Mars Attacks was, well of course it was. In fact that's the only thing it had going for it. Cliched ending? Maybe after you've seen it a few times. Sorry, its posts like these that anger me.
Old 03-29-03, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"I mean, Shawshank was meant to be quirky at times, but it wasn't that delightful. If you want quirky, watch Tim Burton's Mars Attacks. "

I guess I don't really know what to say about this comparison. I never knew that Shawshank was meant to be "quirky" (does anybody else out there agree with this, because that's a new one to me).

I loved Shawshank. And speaking of Tim Burton, I just lost about the last bit of respect I had for him after sitting through Planet of the Apes. Give me the ending to Shawshank over the ending of Apes any day.

(And Shawshank was the second highest voted favorite movie of all-time, as voted at imdb.com. More than just a few people found it "delightful")
Old 03-30-03, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by lesterlong
I don't think you got Shawshank. When you say it was meant to be quirky when it wasn't and then said Mars Attacks was, well of course it was. In fact that's the only thing it had going for it. Cliched ending? Maybe after you've seen it a few times. Sorry, its posts like these that anger me.
Sorry, lesterlong, didn't mean to anger you. I have seen it a couple of times, and i did get it. And you're right, after a few times, i guess it wouldn't have the same impact. But even the first time around, it just didn't pack enough oomph for me. I was just wondering if there was anybody else out there who felt the same way.

Last edited by joeydaninja; 03-30-03 at 12:26 AM.
Old 03-30-03, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have yet to like a frank darabont film. He's pretty much the epitomy of the hollywood hack. How about he try to make a small film that's creative. Then he'll win my respect.
Old 03-30-03, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

there ya go, don't you think his movies are missing that extra x-factor. i mean they are techincally sound, and they are shot very beautifully, but in the end, you get this hollow feeling inside, like he could've done more and held back. I didn't even get to watch The Majestic. And so I am curious about Indiana Jones IV. I mean, he has a good franchise movie in his hands now. Will he get it right, or screw it up? I am afraid for the latter.
Old 03-30-03, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

He's missing an important factor: having any kind of real style.
You couldn't tell a darabont film apart from any other film directed by the random hollywood hack. Other than the fact his films are usally a half an hour too long

As for his writing job for indiana 4?... All he pretty much has to do is come up with a decent plot...Spielberg will take care of the rest. He's on a hot streak with 2 excellent, entertaining films in one year. And im positive he'll bring in his usual assortment of writers to help fix the leaks in the scripts before he shoots.
Old 03-30-03, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Considering he directed one of the best movies ever made in "The Shawshank Redemption", I'll give him the benifit of the doubt.
Old 03-30-03, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't forget he also wrote the D Day scene for Saving Private Ryan. I don't know if he got the credit for it but when he was signing at Dave's Video we overheard him talk about it.
Old 03-30-03, 05:34 AM

He has a lot of credit in my books with Shawshank alone. Liked The Majestic but I think it could have lost the bookends and worked just as well if not better.
Old 08-21-12, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Frank Darabont

Necro bump time.

There was no dedicated thread for The Majestic, so I'll just use this since I just watched it. It reminded me a bit of Pleasantville, but without the plot devices of that film. Carrey really gave an emotional, warm performance; easily one of the best he's done.

Wonderful cast all around, really. Jeff DeMunn, Whitmore, Landau... a roster of solid character actors.

I love films about Hollywood, especially when they take place in the classic days. The aesthetic and production design here was outstanding.

Loved the Sand Pirates of the Sahara scenes. I want Bruce Campbell to make that movie.

It's a little long, but satisfying; and I was never bored.
Old 08-21-12, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Old 08-21-12, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

IMO The Shawshank Redemption is the best Stephen King adaptation on celluloid and a supremely great movie. I also think both The Green Mile and The Mist were very good and The Majestic was a noble failure. I think Darabont would be as interesting for anything outside the King universe as he was with The Walking Dead where he was at worst solid and at best very good IMO.
Old 08-21-12, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Frank is awesome and a funny guy. He also co-wrote the screenplay to Nightmare On Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors.
Old 08-21-12, 09:46 PM

I have a soft spot for the 1990 made for T.V. movie "Buried Alive" starring Tim Matheson, Jennifer Jason Leigh, and the reporter from "Die Hard". The Mist also had it's moments, though I'm not fan of the ending. Can't say I care for anything else he's done.