Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

House of 1000 Corpses -- Rob Zombie

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

House of 1000 Corpses -- Rob Zombie

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-03, 01:56 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by DarthMaul420
Bombed? I doubt it.
So you are saying the film will be a hit? I hate to burst your bubble, but no way.
Old 04-08-03, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Venom
btw, i really disliked 28 days later as a zombie flick. if you're going to make a zombie movies the threat should comes from zombies and not switch to humans halfway through. the movie was interesting in it's own right but i guess i was looking for something else.
I thought that showing the dark side of humans in times of stress was the whole point of the movie. The 'rage' infection that the zombies suffered from was meant to be just a more pure form of anger that is present in every human. Also, pretty much every zombie flick has at least one living human who is naturally an ass and makes things extremely difficult for the good guys.
Old 04-08-03, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
When did 28 Days Later get released? Darth Maul: where did you find the listing?

I have a sinking feeling the House may be kept out of all "Bible Belt" locations due to possible controversy and local backlash.
Old 04-08-03, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. DVD
When did 28 Days Later get released? Darth Maul: where did you find the listing?

I have a sinking feeling the House may be kept out of all "Bible Belt" locations due to possible controversy and local backlash.
it was released in england, it is a british film. i don't know of any usa release date. i saw it via kazaa.
Old 04-08-03, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When did 28 Days Later get released?
It's being released in the US on the 27th June. It came out here in the UK a long time ago and a nice looking R2 DVD is coming out on 19th May.

Audio commentary by director Danny Boyle and Alex Garland
Storyboard alternative ending
8 deleted scenes with optional commentary
'Pure Rage: The Making Of 28 Days Later' (24 mins)
Jacknife Lee music video
Stills gallery with commentary
Polaroid gallery with commentary
Animated storyboards
Theatrical teaser
Theatrical trailer
Interactive menu
Scene access
Old 04-09-03, 10:39 AM

http://www.creature-corner.com/news3...tionslist.php3
Old 04-09-03, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey, I get to see it!!! Not to gripe, but that doesn't seem to be as limited a release as they were saying. In fact, it looks like a fair enough number of screens to justify them saying the film is a bomb if it doesn't have good B.O.

Then again, who cares about its ticket sales? At least I will finally get to see what all of this crap I've been reading about for the past year or so is about.
Old 04-09-03, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I get to see it tomorrow night.

The perks of working at a cinema...
Old 04-09-03, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, it is going to be at 2 theaters locally, so maybe I will give it a shot. I actually forgot about this movie it has been so long. I wonder if it does not do too well in the box office, if we will get the DVD released sooner, or not at all...
Old 04-09-03, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually, I'm kind of hoping for a quick DVD release of the unrated version. This is not the kind of movie that is released to be another E.T. or anything like that. I say it will do good business on Friday night at its late shows and no other time during its run.

IMHO, Zombie should have either pushed to get this film released the weekend before Halloween hit, or waited until next Halloween. While I would not have cared for a longer waiting period, it has been proven that even the most inane horror movie can hit it big if released in mid to late October.

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 04-09-03 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-09-03, 11:49 PM

My interview is up at CanadaMovies.Net. According to Rob, he and Lions Gate are looking at a Halloween release date for the DVD.
Old 04-10-03, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mark McLeod
My interview is up at CanadaMovies.Net. According to Rob, he and Lions Gate are looking at a Halloween release date for the DVD.
Read your interview, very well done and informative. I don't know if this is how he was in person, but the interview makes it look like he's already chalking the theatrical release up as a loss and the DVD will be the true vision and event that he wants.
Old 04-11-03, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
House Of 1000 Corpses was HORRIBLE.

Not a "so-bad-it's-good" horrible. The "horrible" horrible.

Nice - if odd - use of different film stock, bits of footage and negatives all spliced into the feature, but while the film is visually different (not impressive, but not what you're used to either), it's just not very good. It's nothing you haven't seen before - no crime there - but it all comes across as... boring.

Rob Zombie made a boring horror film.

Rotten body parts, furry rabbit costumes and grotty housekeeping do not a good film make. I will give Zombie (ahem) credit for his cheesy, cheesy dialogue - the script is, at times, very entertaining, delivered with gusto by a cast that's clearly having fun with this film. Unfortunately, they're the only ones finding the experience fun. After the very funny opening, the film starts going downhill, with lots of funky visuals and "rarr! I'm scary, I so very much am, really" characters doing nothing to stop the descent.

Oh, and if you're looking for tons of zombies... you're looking at the wrong film. But, for all those people who were praying for Rob Zombie to cover "Brick House"... YOUR prayers have been answered.
Old 04-11-03, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Read your interview, very well done and informative. I don't know if this is how he was in person, but the interview makes it look like he's already chalking the theatrical release up as a loss and the DVD will be the true vision and event that he wants.
Well with only 600 theaters opening, many different drops and little to No advertisment.. I would chalk it up as a loss
Old 04-11-03, 04:38 AM

Glad you liked the interview. Yeah I got the same vibe from talking to Rob on the phone. I think he's just happy that the movie is getting released and the DVD will be his chance to really show off his true vision .

My review won't be up untill next Friday because the film doesn't open in Canada until then.
Old 04-11-03, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Has anyone gotten critic reviews? The Boston Globe said that it wasn't available to critics and it wasnt in the USA Today. Anybody elses newspaper get a review?
Old 04-11-03, 12:28 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by chrisih8u
Has anyone gotten critic reviews? The Boston Globe said that it wasn't available to critics and it wasnt in the USA Today. Anybody elses newspaper get a review?
a screening for the Washington Post film critics wasn't available either. Guess a review might come out in tomorrow's paper.
Old 04-11-03, 01:07 PM

There are 7 reviews posted on rottentomatoes.com. 6 rotten, 1 fresh.
Old 04-11-03, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is the overall summation of the story. Someone once stated that stories are suppose to help us live life, but in House of 1000 Corpses the senselessness continued through aimless murder and destruction of human spirit and life. The story created a completely disturbing adventure that makes one feel queasy as it is going from scene to scene without direction more than to upset the mind of the viewer. The film killed itself as it transgressed through a kaleidoscope of imagery depicting the dead and the soon-to-be-dead. But this is also a film out of the perspective of the mind of those who are not the heroes in the film, which makes one believe that the end result was achieved by Rob Zombie to disturb and alarm the mind of the viewer. My conclusion: Why did I pay to see this?

Last edited by DVD Smurf; 04-11-03 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-11-03, 04:22 PM

This is the overall summation of the story. Someone once stated that stories are suppose to help us live life, but in House of 1000 Corpses the senselessness continued through aimless murder and destruction of human spirit and life. The pointless story created a completely disturbing adventure that makes one feel queasy as it going from scene to scene without direction more than upset the mind of the viewer. The film killed itself as it transgressed through a kaleidoscope of imagery depicting the dead and the soon-to-be-dead. But this is also a film out of the perspective of the mind of those who are not the heroes in the film, which makes one believe that the end result was achieved by Rob Zombie to disturb and alarm the mind of the viewer. My conclusion: Why did I pay to see this?
Umm, not that I think this movie will be any good, but you did realize that this was a horror film when you put down money to see it, didn't you?
Old 04-11-03, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by Wes Ray
Umm, not that I think this movie will be any good, but you did realize that this was a horror film when you put down money to see it, didn't you?
Yes, I definitely knew it was a horror film, and I anticipated a horror film. But unlike good horror films this was a feast in blood, gore, guts, and whatever else you can think of and that is it. Anyway, it was disturbing and grotesque.

I give the film 4/10, if you wonder what grade it deserves based on my grading criteria.
Old 04-11-03, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by DVD Smurf
Yes, I definitely knew it was a horror film, and I anticipated a horror film. But unlike good horror films this was a feast in blood, gore, guts, and whatever else you can think of and that is it. Anyway, it was disturbing and grotesque.

I give the film 4/10, if you wonder what grade it deserves based on my grading criteria.
So you're criticizing a horror movie because it was disturbing, grotesque, and bloody? I know you have other points (I read your other post), but these seem like odd complaints to make against a film that was simply trying to be a disturbing, grotesque, and bloody movie.
Old 04-11-03, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by caiman
So you're criticizing a horror movie because it was disturbing, grotesque, and bloody? I know you have other points (I read your other post), but these seem like odd complaints to make against a film that was simply trying to be a disturbing, grotesque, and bloody movie.
To compare with a different kind of film with similar premise, Funny Games, which I find much better. I think House of 1000 Corpses seems more like a machine that spits out unstoppable violence over a long period of time, while Funny Games is on a much smaller scale and where the violence is more hidden, which makes it also more believable. The large scale murdering takes away the authentic feeling of horror, and instead gives the story a more superficial tone. This superficial atmosphere steals the horror and ruins the overall cinematic experience. In essence, it is not what is disturbing that ruins the film, but the mass quantity takes away from the disturbing feeling and just makes it plain grotesque. Do I make any sense? I do not know.

To grade or critic film is very difficult, since art is in the eye of the beholder. In addition, I am bringing my own set of values, believes, and knowledge to the viewing of the film. This bring about an experience that was rather bad, since the only message in the film was exactly to disturb, show moving grotesque imagery, and blood by the bath tub where the audience could not avoid it or escape it in any possible way. I felt therefore that the story never really took off and instead remained in a vacuum. The actual killing killed it itself at the end and where the premise of a story disappeared in the mass murdering madness. However, I thought the cinematography and editing was interesting in the beginning, but there was an overkill of this too, no pun intended. If you want to be disturbed, you will not be disappointed, but if you want to see a horror film with some kind of a story, you will be disappointed.
Old 04-11-03, 06:08 PM

let me concur that this movie was HORRIBLE!!!!

I am a huge horror movie fan and have seen them all, from tame to super-gory, and this one turned my stomach, in a bad way... While the beginning and the setup showed some potential and a bit of creativity, when it got into the body of the story it decomposed and relied on gruesome scenes to supplant any kind of a plot. i stayed til the end only because i paid for it (and was with someone else), but i will warn everyone, even the most battle-harderened horror movie fan, to STAY AWAY!!!
Old 04-11-03, 07:26 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Finally able to see this in theaters! Hope to make it this weekend.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.