Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I'm Afraid Hollywood is Gonna Kill the Comic Book / Superhero Movie!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

I'm Afraid Hollywood is Gonna Kill the Comic Book / Superhero Movie!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-23, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 634 Likes on 488 Posts
re: I'm Afraid Hollywood is Gonna Kill the Comic Book / Superhero Movie!

The Matrix? I mean it has some common tropes, yes, but it's more of a mashup of various genres.
Old 12-01-23, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,223 Likes on 2,079 Posts

Minus the odd Matrix inclusion, Jodie ain’t wrong.
The following users liked this post:
JeffTheAlpaca (12-02-23)
Old 12-01-23, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

I'm pretty sure Grant Morrison thinks The Matrix is based on a comic book.
IBJoel (12-01-23)
Old 12-01-23, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Why do Comic Film Critics like Jodie act like no other films are being made?
Draven (12-05-23)
Old 12-01-23, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Is she though? She is just critizising the genre and making the point the genre is just a phase, a surprisingly long one. Most phases are pretty short. After Lord of the Rings we had Eragon, The Golden Compass, Narnia and some other stuff most of which not succesful. A couple of years ago we had the young adult adaptations of Twilight, The Hunger Games, Divergent, Maze Runner. After the success of Scream we had a resurgence of teenie slashers, whic had faded into obscurity. The Farrelly brothers spawned a phase of fart joke comedies.

Comic book movies are more like Westerns the dominant genre, but not the only one and no one is saying it's the only genre.
Old 12-01-23, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There's also the fact that when people think "comic book movie" they mean this

but fail to think of this.

​​​​​​
Giantrobo (12-02-23)
Old 12-01-23, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
With the success of X men, Spiderman and now Daredevil, it seems there is a slew of comic book movies on the horizon, something like 10-12!

Now i have always been the biggest fan of comic book movies, even the bad ones, i am honestly afraid that over the next 1-2 years , Hollywood is going to make the normal movie going public hate comic book movies because of over saturation , leading to the death of the sub genre in a few years

I would much prefer only 1-2 comic book movies a year but of real quality and going on for a decade or more
From 20&1/2 years ago! Although I think it's the other way around: comic book movies killed Hollywood!
BobO'Link (12-03-23)
Old 12-01-23, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp

​​​​​​
ROAD TO PERDITION and GHOST WORLD weren't based on comic books. They were based on graphic novels. Big difference.
Old 12-01-23, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 990 Likes on 698 Posts

​​​​​​
You know full well when people say "comic book" movie they just mean "superhero" movie. It may not be 100% accurate, but we all understand.
Old 12-01-23, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,223 Likes on 2,079 Posts

Yep, and it’s hard to deny that over the last 15+ years superhero movies went apeshit on Hollywood.

Its been superhero bukkake on all of us since 2008.
Kurt D (12-02-23)
Old 12-01-23, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
ROAD TO PERDITION and GHOST WORLD weren't based on comic books. They were based on graphic novels. Big difference.
Neil Gaiman and Alan Moore beg to differ.

Originally Posted by rocket1312
You know full well when people say "comic book" movie they just mean "superhero" movie. It may not be 100% accurate, but we all understand.
I know. That's literally what I meant when I said "There's also the fact that when people think "comic book movie" they mean this but fail to think of this." I get what they mean, but I counter that comic books can be and are so much more. It's similar to how people dismiss all forms of animation as "cartoons".
Old 12-01-23, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 489 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
"Comic book" and "graphic novel" are just two different terms for the same thing; sequential art storytelling. It's like saying "Ghost World and Road To Perdition aren't movies, they're films."
The following 3 users liked this post by Crocker Jarmen:
BobO'Link (12-03-23), majorjoe23 (12-01-23), RocShemp (12-01-23)
Old 12-01-23, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I believe Ash Ketchum was joking/teasing, but without the aid of a "" I can't be sure.
Old 12-01-23, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
"Comic book" and "graphic novel" are just two different terms for the same thing; sequential art storytelling. It's like saying "Ghost World and Road To Perdition aren't movies, they're films."
I think the term "graphic novel" was adopted to try and obscure the fact that grown men (and women I guess) are still reading comic books. There's very little difference between the two.

And I agree with Foster, although I'm sure she's referring to superhero movies. All these movies just regurgitate the same stuff over and over and is just junk food for the mind.
It took a while but even fans of it are getting tired of it - probably because of how repetitious it all is.

Last edited by Coral; 12-02-23 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-01-23, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Coral
It took a while but even fans of it are getting tired of it - probably because of how repetitious is all is.
Yeah, it's gotten to a point you can count on one hand how many of them don't feature a sky beam during the climax.
Old 12-02-23, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 731 Likes on 596 Posts

Because people only go to the theater to see comic book movies and not dramas, comedies, or films in other genres.
Old 12-02-23, 06:12 AM

Received 4,609 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Because people only go to the theater to see comic book movies and not dramas, comedies, or films in other genres.
You don't go at all.
Old 12-02-23, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

I know. That's literally what I meant when I said "There's also the fact that when people think "comic book movie" they mean this but fail to think of this." I get what they mean, but I counter that comic books can be and are so much more. It's similar to how people dismiss all forms of animation as "cartoons".
They can be and sometimes they are, but then they aren't recognizable as comic book movies and Road to Perdition is a 20 years old and still one of the most recent examples for a different kind of comic book movie, which says it all. I'd like to see the MCU trying something else. Black Widow could have been something like the Bourne movies, but they decided to make it into a ChatGPT written MCU movie with a giant flying hideout and a lot of lame MCU signature humor.
The could make a Luke Cage movie in the style of The Equalizer, but they don't. They sprinkled some other genres into the MCU, here and there and in my opinion Captain America: The Winter Soldier is still the best one, but by the end of the movie they scrapped the political thriller and forced in the big budget superhero finale.

The Batman as a serial killer thriller and Joker as a psychological thriller showed, that you don't have to remix the same components every time and that is, at least I hope so, the future of comic book movies. You still can have the spectacal, but not in every movie, that's getting boring.
Old 12-02-23, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sure, but if you said this to Jodie Foster, then she would just say "sorry, I meant superhero movies". She didn't fail to think of Road to Perdition or Ghost World because movies like that have nothing to do with the point she was making. It's a completely separate conversation.
Crocker Jarmen (12-02-23)
Old 12-02-23, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Runaway
They can be and sometimes they are, but then they aren't recognizable as comic book movies and Road to Perdition is a 20 years old and still one of the most recent examples for a different kind of comic book movie, which says it all.
I think that honor goes to 2013's Blue Is The Warmest Color. Although that's off the top of my head. There may have been other, more recent non-superhero movies.

in my opinion Captain America: The Winter Soldier is still the best one, but by the end of the movie they scrapped the political thriller and forced in the big budget superhero finale.
This I agree wholeheartedly, as it is my favourite MCU movie. Yes, the finale was bombastic, but it felt earned.

The Batman as a serial killer thriller and Joker as a psychological thriller showed, that you don't have to remix the same components every time and that is, at least I hope so, the future of comic book movies. You still can have the spectacal, but not in every movie, that's getting boring.
Might I also add Logan to your examples? That one can easily be summed up as "a terminally ill man, taking care of his mentally deteriorating father figure, meets the child he never knew he had". Yes, there are villainous antagonists, but at its essence it's about facing the inevitability of death, coming to grips with one's past, and what (if anything) we leave behind.
Old 12-02-23, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

Because, like everyone, they think THEIR feelings are more important and accurate.

[THIS] type of film is too prevalent. [THIS] type of film cannot be 'life-changing'. [THIS] type of film is no good.

Wrong, on all counts.
Old 12-02-23, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Sure, but if you said this to Jodie Foster, then she would just say "sorry, I meant superhero movies". She didn't fail to think of Road to Perdition or Ghost World because movies like that have nothing to do with the point she was making. It's a completely separate conversation.
..unless she's suggesting that the comics-medium is unworthy, or that adaptations as a whole are Bad Films.

(Which I agree she isn't, but some still do.)
Old 12-02-23, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by dex14
You don't go at all.
Because Pandemic, Price, Netflix and the changing world have moved away from it.. not because of Superheroics.
Old 12-02-23, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 489 Likes on 323 Posts

I think that honor goes to 2013's Blue Is The Warmest Color. Although that's off the top of my head. There may have been other, more recent non-superhero movies.
Off the top of my head, this year's Shortcomings, an adaptation of a story from Adrian Tomine's comic Optic Nerve, which is one of the most enjoyable movies I've seen this year.

Last edited by Crocker Jarmen; 12-02-23 at 11:02 AM.
majorjoe23 (12-02-23)
Old 12-02-23, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We just had a new non-superhero comic book movie from David Fincher like 3 weeks ago.
majorjoe23 (12-02-23)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.