Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I'm Afraid Hollywood is Gonna Kill the Comic Book / Superhero Movie!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-03, 02:16 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

With the success of X men, Spiderman and now Daredevil, it seems there is a slew of comic book movies on the horizon, something like 10-12!

Now i have always been the biggest fan of comic book movies, even the bad ones, i am honestly afraid that over the next 1-2 years , Hollywood is going to make the normal movie going public hate comic book movies because of over saturation , leading to the death of the sub genre in a few years

I would much prefer only 1-2 comic book movies a year but of real quality and going on for a decade or more
Old 03-18-03, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You mean the Movies about comic books didn't die out before?

I seem to recall a slew of them:

Captain America, The Punisher, Fantastic Four.... it was killed once before and it did come back again. have no worries mate.
Old 03-18-03, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I agree. I think the problem is that a lot of medicore characters are going to be made into movies and the audience just won't care about them. I think a good chunk of Daredevil's success came off of the cast of names and off the heels of Spider-Man. I don't see a movie about someone like Iron Man or Sub Mariner attracting very many viewers.

I would love to see the established characters get fleshed out with larger story arcs and hints of what's to come. For instance, wouldn't it be nice to actually see Eddie Brock in the first movie get scolded or 'screwed' by spider-man, see him get fired in the sequel, and paving the way for Venom down the line?
Old 03-18-03, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
You mean folks wont be excited about movies like the upcoming Iron Fist?
Old 03-18-03, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iron Man could attract J6P. Guy in a flying suit blowing stuff up. Can't get any more basic than that.

Hey, if Daredevil can do decent business, then pretty much any decent comic book movie has a shot.

I'm still waiting for the Reid Fleming: Worlds Toughest Milkman movie.
Old 03-18-03, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The comic book movie has been even more popular than what J6p thinks though:

Men In Black
Road to Perdition
From Hell
Ghost World
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

to name just a few. It's just a matter of presentation and marketing. The comic book movie isn't going away anytime soon.

But, I'm still patiently waiting for Watchmen.
The following users liked this post:
Giantrobo (12-01-23)
Old 03-18-03, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
If it makes you feel any better - I hate comic book movies regardless of whether they are saturated or not.
Old 03-18-03, 11:31 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Don't forget that Heloboy is being shot right now over in Europe somewhere with Ron Pearlman as the big red guy and Guirremo del Toro behind the camera... could be interesting.

Old 03-18-03, 12:04 PM

Problem is, most of these comic movie's lack heart. The first Superman movie, the first Batman movie all had heart and soul. All these new ones are just casting big named actor and goin' for "money-shots" , quick shots that can be marketed.

That's my two cents.
Old 03-18-03, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Blade was a mediocre character that no one cared about, but the movie rocks and it was quite successful. As long as the films are entertaining and have an interesting hook, I think people will see them. Actually, I've liked or loved all of the last round of Marvel comic films. I'm really looking forward to Hulk and Hellboy.

I don't know about Iron Fist with Ray Park, though. Only way I can see it being successful is if it's done really cheap and they go INSANE on the martial arts and stunts. I say take it to Asia, film it non-union, and hire a bunch of recognizable Hong Kong and American B-movie martial artists to turn it into like some kind of kung fu movie fan's ultimate fantasy. Donnie Yen, Bolo Yeung, Dacascos, Sammo, Gary Daniels, Chiu Man Cheuk.. Hell, throw Van Damme in there.
Old 03-18-03, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Are we now referring to people who don't know comic books as "J6P"? If so, somebody toss me a brewski; I'm joining team Six-Pack.

As far as the superheroes, I think their appeal has always been to people who feel sort of weak, as a cathartic source of escape. Since Sept. 11 2001 a feeling of helplessness has been sort of widespread, and superheroes are enjoying a renewed popularity.

Unfortunately, this summer's crop may be a bit late for the dance. By May, the mainstream audience will probably be hungry for war movies.
Old 03-18-03, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm looking twenty years to the future, when all the present films will be seen as campy relics of our cgi time, and some young auteur will want to "reimagine" them all...
Old 03-18-03, 01:46 PM

the crow was initially from a comic book and has a larger cult following now than it did before. the move to the screen (at least for the first one) was very well done and i enjoied it very much.
Old 03-18-03, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,467 Likes on 933 Posts
I'm not worried. Comics are a renewable resource, and you can make new movies about the same characters every generation. Steve Reeves used to be Superman, Adam West used to be Batman, and Orson Welles played the voice of the Shadow.

Reid Fleming would make a great[ movie! The source material is W.C. Fields and Mack Sennett.

"Okay, I'll need volunteers. Who's the strongest man here?"
"I am!"
POW!
"Wrong!!! I am the strongest man here."
Old 03-18-03, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
The way I look at it, the comic book movies that were greenlit and begun before Spider-Man hit theaters will be the good ones, while the ones greenlit the minute Spidey's opening weekend figures came in will be the ones that suck.

Hulk looks decent, as does X-2. LXG, however, could have been a success had they stuck with the orginal material IMO. This new version looks to suck in an Avengers sort of way.
Old 03-18-03, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Originally posted by Nick Danger
I'm not worried. Comics are a renewable resource, and you can make new movies about the same characters every generation. Steve Reeves used to be Superman, Adam West used to be Batman, and Orson Welles played the voice of the Shadow.
Steve Reeves played Hercules. George Reeves played Superman. Other than that
Old 03-18-03, 04:24 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
The way I look at it, the comic book movies that were greenlit and begun before Spider-Man hit theaters will be the good ones, while the ones greenlit the minute Spidey's opening weekend figures came in will be the ones that suck.

Hulk looks decent, as does X-2. LXG, however, could have been a success had they stuck with the orginal material IMO. This new version looks to suck in an Avengers sort of way.
I don't see what Spider-man has to do with anything. X-Men was the movie that started the trend.
Old 03-18-03, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by lesterlong
I don't see what Spider-man has to do with anything. X-Men was the movie that started the trend.

You listen to Brody too much.
X-Men started it, but Spider-Man is what convinced everyone who was on the fence about whether or not to greenlight go ahead and make the movies.
Basically, Spidey is what made everyone think there truly was big money to be made in the genre. X-Men made double its cost, but it wasn't a runaway hit like Spider-Man.
Old 03-18-03, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If I'm not mistaken, MIB, X-Men and Blade hit well before 9-11. But never let the facts get in the way of a sexy theory...
Old 03-18-03, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Half of the comic book movies that come out people don't even realize are based on comic. X-Men, Spider-Man, and Daredevil could go away, but there's still be Road to Perditions, Ghost World's, and From Hell's out there which go under the radar as "comic book movies".

Hollywood's just turned its eye to comic because it sees it as a base of ideas which could be a goldmine. It not like the "literary adaptation" died down after Congo was made.
Old 03-18-03, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by clemente
Hollywood's just turned its eye to comic because it sees it as a base of ideas which could be a goldmine. It not like the "literary adaptation" died down after Congo was made.
Sad thing, Congo was actually a hit, so I doubt it would have.
Old 03-18-03, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's just another fad for Hollywood, and of course there will be bad movies in the mix, so what? Do you expect all 10-12 comic book movies to be gold? I sure don't. I just hope that when the Fantastic Four movie finally gets made, it is gold. That's all I ask for. I don't care if the minor character movies do well or not, just give me a good Fantastic Four movie and I will be very happy.

Maybe the fad will die down around the time the Power Pack movie comes out!
Old 03-18-03, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm probably repeating something (didn't read every post) but I
think that as long as a movie is done well, people will go see it.

Of course we'll see Hollywood throw out some crap to capitalize
on the sucess of other movies. But I think that with cgi where its
at that this is the time for a lot of these movies to come to light.
If these movies (Hulk, Spider-man, Daredevil) would have come
out 5 to 10 years ago, filmakers would have been more tied down
to the ability aspect of the heros.

It's possible that the "hero in tights" will be a phase and have to
be modified as the public might grow tired of the costumes. Some
traditional comic books are forgoing the spandex already (X-men).

Jason
Old 03-18-03, 10:21 PM

I hope they do not kill it with a bunch of films with poor stories and poor character development etc... I am personally looking forward to Hellboy and The Hulk...but if they keep on being like Daredevil it will be killed soon...this is my 2 cents.

DVD SMURF
Old 11-30-23, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts
re: I'm Afraid Hollywood is Gonna Kill the Comic Book / Superhero Movie!

Maybe after dominating cinemas for most of this century the comic book movie phase could be ending and it might become like the Western?

There will still be some movies but not as much as the aughts and 2010's?

Jodie Foster said in a new interview with Elle magazine that superhero movies are just “a phase” — one that has gone on a bit too long for her liking. The actor, who is currently earning Oscar buzz for her supporting role in Netflix’s “Nyad” and who is also headlining HBO’s “True Detective” Season 4 next year, said she’s a fan of some superhero films, but none of them are life-changing to her.

“It’s a phase. It’s a phase that’s lasted a little too long for me, but it’s a phase, and I’ve seen so many different phases,” Foster said on the matter. “Hopefully people will be sick of it soon. The good ones — like ‘Iron Man,’ ‘Black Panther,’ ‘The Matrix’ — I marvel at those movies, and I’m swept up in the entertainment of it, but that’s not why I became an actor. And those movies don’t change my life. Hopefully there’ll be room for everything else.”

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/j...ngpZMcJtqaggGg

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.