Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

How many people still actively goto movie theatres?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Do you go see movies at the theatres or wait for the DVD?
Yes I so see that most of the time at the theatres
52.38%
No I wait until it comes to DVD
10.48%
Only on rare occasions do I goto theatres
37.14%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

How many people still actively goto movie theatres?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-03, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Nothing's changed since i got into DVD's. I go see the movies that look interesting to me. Only now i look into blind buying movies i hear good things about.
Old 03-17-03, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 768 Likes on 556 Posts
I go maybe once a month or every other month depending on the release schedule...
Old 03-17-03, 07:51 AM

Received 111 Likes on 90 Posts
I still go quite frequently (though I haven't gone nearly as much as I'd like to this year).
Old 03-17-03, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Very rarely!

The problems are so numerous it is not a fun time for me.

When my dedicated room is complete I may never go to the theater again.
Old 03-17-03, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rarely go to the movie theater. I hardly ever enjoy myself with between the people talking, the cellphones, the kids, etc.

Last thing I saw in the movie theater was Star Wars: Attack of the Clones. Hell I haven't even seen one of these commercials everyone is bitching about before the movies. When I went they weren't doing it yet.

This year will be a busy movie theater year for me. Seems I will be going to 3 movies: Willard and the two Matrix movies.
Old 03-17-03, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My wife and I go about twice a week almost always in the afternoons.

Maybe it's just Madison and maybe it has to do with going in the afternoon, but we rarely run into the talking problem or crying babies and I can't remember that last time I heard a cell phone ring.

The one problem that is rampant around here is that many people think the seat in front of them is their personal footrest and don't seem to understand that kicking the seat in front of them disturbs the whole row. We avoid that potential problem by sitting in the back row.
Old 03-17-03, 10:37 AM

I go to the movies about 4 or 5 times a year. It's always been like that.

It doesn't help that we've basically got 2 choices around here a great multiplex with popular (but mediocre) movies, or the 'art' theater with worn out and badly treated prints that aren't projected correctly.

Do I want to spend my money to see Bringing Down the House (currently being shown on 4 of 16 screens) with the best seating, picture and sound available, or go to the other place and watch a badly framed, scratched up print of About Schmidt? Bah, I'll just wait for the DVD to see About Schmidt.

Last edited by Tscott; 03-17-03 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-17-03, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I only go if its something I REALLY REALLY wanna see.
Old 03-17-03, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 197 Likes on 162 Posts
I usually go at least once a week. If the pickings are slim, then maybe once every two weeks.

IMO, nothing beats seeing films on the BIG screen. It's an experience I can't get at home - yet.
Old 03-17-03, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Theres many movies that are great on DVD but shouldn't be missed on the big screen.

LOTR movies
Saving Private Ryan was one of my favorites in the theatres

I go to as many matinees as possible but I usually hit about 3-4 movies a month.

Nice to have a wife that likes movies too.
Old 03-17-03, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I go to about 6-10 movies a year. Mainly only big movies(Matrix, Star Wars, LOTR). I'll also go to see action movies mainly, as I don't really care if I see Drama or comedies on the big screen.

I always like seeing epics the way they were meant to be seen.
I also try to hit matinees on the weekend, or go Sunday night which is never too crowded.
Old 03-17-03, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by fumanstan
Nothing's changed since i got into DVD's. I go see the movies that look interesting to me. Only now i look into blind buying movies i hear good things about.
I agree. I still go to see the new releases I'm interested in on the big screen. My local googolplex is really nice: great seats, OK prices ($4.25 twilight shows), few cell phones, fewer crying kids, and never full enough to have to sit near a talker. The biggest problem is the choice of movies it shows: all popcorn type flicks, few to zero indies or less mainstream fare. For those I have to drive to Ann Arbor or Toledo.

I do tend, like fumanstan, to give a closer look to blind buys of stuff I have not actually watched myself.

-doc
Old 03-17-03, 02:46 PM

Well, this year I'm averaging 5 a week (not counting repeats). Kind of shocked me once I did the math. But I don't buy many DVDs. I can afford one or the other, not both. And I already have curbed my 2003 theater-going out of financial concerns. If not I would probably average over 1 a day considering the rate I started in January.

Last year was a measly 3 movies a week.
Old 03-17-03, 03:19 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I go to the cinema about once a week or so. I see more films at the cinema than in any other way. DVDs are fine, but at best a pale imitation of a movie theater.
Old 03-17-03, 03:40 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You can't beat the big screen. If I was to get a huge and I mean huge TV, then I'd consider to stop going.
Old 03-17-03, 03:47 PM

I have to see the movies in the theater. You just can't beat the whole experience. There are certain guidelines I will follow though.

1. I rarely go on opening night. Wait until the next week, depending on the movie and the volume it draw.

2. I have to have a seat in the theater that is at eye level. No straining my neck while I'm watching.

3. I'll rarely buy snacks at the theater. Why pay $2.95 a 16oz soda when I can sneak in a liter bottle for $1.50.

4. I gotta mix things up once in awhile. I try to alternate the theaters I go to from time to time. Keeps things fresh.
Old 03-17-03, 05:00 PM

My main theatre going times are:

1. Around Oscar time so I can argue with my friends and get good and pissed off when something horrible wins.(Gladiator)

2. If it's a movie that really should be seen on a big screen.(Lord of the Rings, Saving Private Ryan)

3. If it's by a director that I really admire or is a movie that I am surprised was even made and really want to support. (Punch-Drunk Love, Requiem for a Dream, Bowling for Columbine)

My biggest problem is that i'm WAY too anal about movies. I like to hear every little sound and every line of dialogue without being disturbed in the slightest. And that's alot to ask for when you're in a large room filled with people. For example, I went and watched The Hours recently, the first half of the movie three girls behind me kept whispering to each other until finally I turned around asked them to please stop talking. Which they did. The last half of the movie I spent feeling like an ass for bringing WAY more attention to myself than I'm really comfortable with. I would've been able to concetrate on the movie and would have taken more from it if I would've just waited for the DVD to come out.
Old 03-19-03, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I go 2 - 3 times a month. Many times the movie experience ads to the film. The big screen and sound have already been mentioned, but I'll never forget watching The Others from the back row. The silence made people uncomfortable...some even stopped crunching their popcorn. Comedies can also be fun laughing with a bunch of strangers.

As far as prices, I get discount tickets from my employer ($5.50 for day or night showings) and I shelled out $20 bucks for a theatre chain T-Shirt and cup combo that gets me a free 72 Oz. popcorn each film and a $1.00 soda. (Paid for itself by the time I saw Solaris) The only big expense nowadays is the gas! But then ya get to call it a "night out", and keep the misses happy.
Old 03-20-03, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love dvd...but I LIVE for seeing movies in the theatre.

I go at least once a week, usually I'll pick a day and see most of the new movies that have opened. I think nothing beats seeing flicks in the theatre... even with the occaisional shitty audience, it is still a lot of fun and well worth it....

I can't even think about how much I end up spending... regular flicks here cost $13.50 for evening shows... Matinees are about $9-10 bucks... but the theatre is my first love...it's what made me want to make movies... dvd is great and I love it, but it will never replace the movie theatre going experience.

MATT
Old 03-20-03, 08:14 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 123 Likes on 111 Posts
Every week at least. sometimes twice on the weekend.

Friday or Saturday is for the bigger blockbuster type films, or at least ones with a wide release, some can't be called blockbusters.

And sunday evening is independent films.

Rarely does something come to DVD that I have not seen in the theatre
Old 03-20-03, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 283 Likes on 179 Posts
Only when I'm dating.
Old 03-20-03, 08:50 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
On the average I'd say I see at least 4 movies a week in the theatres. Matinees preferably, since I'm sort of on the dole.

2 movies on DVD (Netflix rentals)

A backlog of unwatched DVD's in my video collection.

Try to catch up on movies on HBO and Turner Movie Classics that spark my interest.
Old 03-20-03, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I rarely go anything besides bing 'event films like SW or LOTR, thanks to:

* Lack of movies that interest me.

* Admission prices.

* The closest theater is a huge hassle to get to.

* Anoying audiences.

* Commercials!

Plus when I wait for DVD, if I really like the movie I can immediately reload it and watch it again!
Old 03-20-03, 12:49 PM
Banned

I still go to movies. But I have a friend who manages the multiplex so I get in everytime for free. So all the popular junk I would never pay a dime for, like Old School, is free. The only time I have to pay is when I go to an art house or revival or when I feel like going up to LA to the arclight (where you get what you pay for).
Old 03-20-03, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

maybe once a year....maybe. if the theater would exclude idiots, I might go more often. people are the only thing that makes the experience not worth it. I'm pretty happy right here at Gut's Palace.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.