Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Pianist should get Best Picture award!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-03, 03:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO The Pianist, Roman Polanski's past sexual misdemeanors aside, this movie is such a powerful work that it deserves Best Picture.
It makes Schindler's List look like Disney's Holocaust, and I thought that despite being quite a long and at times a difficult movie to watch ( the brutality shown occasionally makes you want to look away from the screen ) it didn't drag or seem like such on long time viewing. It gets my thumbs up anyway!
Old 03-16-03, 08:10 AM

I totally agree with you(althought I disagree with your Schindler List statement, Schindler's List is a better film.) This movie was by far the best movie of 2002 in my opinion. It is certainly better than the films it is up against for best picture and it SHOULD take the best picture award. Having said that I don't think it will because the academy usually gives out awards based on things other than the work on the screen, such as kissing ass and furthering someone's career. It is kind of sad that this movie will not win best picture and get the exposure it deserves, but what are you gonna do hollywood is hollywood.
Old 03-16-03, 08:55 AM

Schindler's List a good movie - The Pianist a great movie!?!

I also think the Schindler's List was a good motion picture. However I think that the Pianist is the better movie. The production values were better in Schindler but the impact of the Polanski movie was IMHO stunning. Without wanting to do a spoiler the scene with the Nazis throwing the invalid into the street was very difficult to watch.
Let us hope that this year - for once - the "ass kissers" don't get the award - some hopes eh?
Old 03-17-03, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought it dragged too much in a few parts. I enjoyed Brody's performance and definitely think he would be a deserving Oscar winner despite the fact he won't probably walk away with it on Oscar night, but the movie as a whole for me just didn't do much. I enjoyed Schindler's List much more, but that doesn't even figure into the equation because last time I checked Schlinder's List wasn't nominated this year. I actually would have rather seen About Schmidt or even Far From Heaven nominated in The Pianist's spot, but that's just me.