Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies that "show the future"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies that "show the future"

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-03, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by mrhan
Battle Royale - It's not mentioned in the movie but it takes place in an alternate future where Japan won WWII.
2009: Lost Memories. Japan absorbs Korea.
Old 03-13-03, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw a series called Time Trax about a decades ago. It tells about a futuristic cop who travels through time to the 90s to capture bad guys.
Old 03-13-03, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GATTACA.

Future Plot Device: DNA sampling for security/police investigation
Future Sights: daily rocket launches, interplanetary exploration, prenatal eugenics, universal data keeping

Notes:

One pet peeve of mine is "visions of the future" that radically depart from what we have today. If you go 50 years into the past, the world was not drastically different than today -- cars still travelled horizontally on asphalt highways, kids got on yellow schoolbuses and ate Snickers bars, etc. To assume that in 50 years we'll all be walking around in white jumpsuits with cyberware implants is probably jumping the gun.

That's why I liked GATTACA so much. While it is clearly a science-fiction view of the future, it is not that much different from the present day. People drive around in cars, live in condos, go on dates with each other to piano bars, and even wear contact lenses, which is pretty cool.

Second pet peeve: when a Hollywood scriptwriter uses a sci-fi movie as an excuse to have someone make one of those faux-historical speeches: "... and back in 2008, President Sylvester Stallone met with British Prime Minister Kate Winslet in the French capital of New Paris..."
Old 03-13-03, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally posted by rice4kidsinasia
Bill and Ted's Bogus Adventure ... in the future the air guitar is equivalent to waving
both Excellent Adventure and Bogus Journey show "the future" but a lot moreso in BJ thanks to the university scenes

"Bogus Adventure"?