Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"the ring". what are these huge plot holes people are talking about? (spoilers)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

"the ring". what are these huge plot holes people are talking about? (spoilers)

Old 03-12-03, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
Based on this thread, I have compiled a list of other "plot holes" in famous movies...
I guess technically this is a threadcrap... but what the hell. I don't think anyone could've summed up this "perception of plot holes" any better. Plus it's one of the funniest things I've read for awhile. Bravo!
Old 03-12-03, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
A lot of you seem to question the stupidies things. Like someone else mentioned "Do you question where Jason got his mask?, how about freddy, do you question were he got that glove or whats his purpose of killing?" come on folks.. What happened to assumption?
Jason got his mask in Friday the 13th Part 3. He picked it up off of the pier after he killed a practical joker. (if I remember correctly.)

Sorry! Couldn't resist!

I totally agreee though. The Ring was a pretty decent movie and people seem to be picking it apart just because. I mean hell.. the girl came out of a TV!! You have to suspend some sort of belief from the get-go.

Oh and thanks Jackskeleton for answering the quesitons. Some of that got right by me. I can't wait to watch it again this weekend (after watching Ringu).

And Groucho...that was milk out the nose funny!

Sam
Old 03-12-03, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guess you got me with the freddy and jason comments. the point of that was do you really need to know everything about the killer? In my eyes, it sort of takes away from the whole "unknown mystery" of the character when begin to analyze them for a character study then for what their purpose is... a killer.
Old 03-17-03, 04:30 PM

What was the relevance of the 'card trick' by the caretaker at the cabin?

It got a fair bit of screen time where he kept guessing the wrong card, so I assumed it would have some importance. You couldn't even describe it as 'character development' as he wasn't seen again.

I was waiting for a reference to the correct card (9 of Diamonds I think) to crop up somewhere in the film, but it didn't or did I miss it?

Also on a similar note, was there any point in including the Doctor with her rather "Scooby Doo/U.S. 70s TV Movie-esque" line....

"A lot of bad things have happened on this island"

And that was about all she had to say?
Talk about cliched !
Old 03-29-03, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I gotta see the Japanese version now.
Old 03-29-03, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally posted by JaxComet
I liked it better after the second viewing. You really have to ignore alot of the plot. This film is all about atmosphere....
Yup. A superbly creepy visual film.
Old 03-30-03, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd rate the movie a 6 out of 10. It had decent moments (like the opening scene), but the plot just didn't make much sense to me. 'The Others' was a much better supernatural movie, in my opinion.

It was worth the $0.50 I spent to rent it, though if I would have spent $3 or $4 I would have been upset.
Old 03-30-03, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is there any websites devoted to plot holes? A lot of times, I totally miss plot holes until others mention them, then I think "why didn't I think of that?". Most of the time it was because I was too involved in the movie, but sometimes, I just don't like the movie enough to warrant any extra thoughts on it...
Old 03-30-03, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Heat
It was worth the $0.50 I spent to rent it, though if I would have spent $3 or $4 I would have been upset.
Loosen up the purse-strings, dude... Do you live in the 50's or something? 3 or 4 bucks is what I spend in gas just to get to the video store or movie theater.
Old 03-31-03, 01:46 PM

Originally posted by MvRojo
I also thought it was funny that in the American version she could see a solid ring of light around the well, which would basically mean that the thing covering the well should have fallen onto her or something.

Matt [/B]
That is so true...I mentioned it my friends..and no one else was bothered by that. We see a very CLEAR ring of light..which means it should of fell through the top! hmm..interesting.
Old 03-31-03, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally posted by AsianImage
That is so true...I mentioned it my friends..and no one else was bothered by that. We see a very CLEAR ring of light..which means it should of fell through the top! hmm..interesting.
But the concept of
Spoiler:
a dead girl that can create spooky videotapes with her mind and climb through a TV screen
isn't problem for you.....?
Old 03-31-03, 03:22 PM
Suspended

The one part I didn't like was Samara being "snowy" or "static" after coming out of the TV. I think that once she left the confines of a crappy 10th generation tape, she should have been a little more "solid". Oh this evil spirit can't maintain her vertical hold! Scary!
Old 04-06-03, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just watched Ringu, I liked it better than The Ring. When I watched Ringu my "bullsh** meter" wasn't going off like it was when I was watching The Ring.

Ringu is a nice, simple story. The Ring overdid it (in my opinion).
Old 04-15-03, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I just saw the ring over the weekend.

I liked it a lot!

But here's my question:

How were the 2 girls talking about "did you hear about this tape that kills you?"

Where did this girl hear about it? Samara created this tape up at the cabin when they tried to tape a football game. So where did the whole urban legend - it kills you after you watch it come from?

- The tape was just created
- No one died yet
- What part of "7 days" = death

Well this movie is another argument to own DVDs instead of VHS tapes!
Old 04-20-03, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
In the scene where
Spoiler:
the father of Samara kills himself in the tub

How did Noah get onto the island (so quickly) and find the farmhouse in the dark?