Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars vs Indiana Jones

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Better trilogy?
Indiana Jones
52.81%
Star Wars
47.19%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars vs Indiana Jones

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-03, 02:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Indy...star wars to me is good...BUT not as great as people say...i realized it changed the face of cinema but still its just a good movie. oh and episode 2 was just horrible
Old 03-04-03, 10:34 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Star Wars for me. Story is way more in-depth.
Old 03-04-03, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Star Wars easily. It destroys Indy as a trilogy, and this is coming from someone who loves Indy. I could go on and on about what Star Wars achieved and the impact it had that Indy didn't. The trilogy is just better. But I'll take both thank you.

Can't believe Indiana Jones is beating this out. Has the Lucas-bashing gotten out of hand or what?
Yes, that's exactly the reason Indy is beating out Star Wars. You ask this question 5 years ago and Star Wars would be trouncing Indy.

I'm going with Indiana Jones because despite the medicroity of Temple of Doom (the first PG13 movie, by the way), I think they stand up better over time.
You must be kidding. Star Wars has stood the test of time for 25 years perhaps better than any film. Indy, as good as it is won't come close to being remembered as long as the original Star Wars trilogy.

Last edited by Terrell; 03-04-03 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-04-03, 02:05 PM

No, I'll agree that the Indiana Jones movies have aged better than the Star Wars movies. Throw in modern-day effects into both trilogies, and IJ would probably be better accepted today than SW would.

I'll have to go with Indiana Jones, if only because I think Raiders of the Lost Ark is easily the best movie out of all three IJ and five SW movies. Star Wars does get a nod for its bigger emphasis on continuity throughout the movies, though. I think the third movie of both trilogies are easily the worst, just slapstick nonsense. Especially 'Last Crusade'.
Old 03-04-03, 02:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No, I'll agree that the Indiana Jones movies have aged better than the Star Wars movies.
Then you would be wrong.Indy has not stood the test of time as well as the original Star Wars trilogy has. And Star Wars and Empire are bother better than Raiders. Temple of Doom and the Last Crusade don't even come close to those two Star Wars films. Both sequels really pale in comparison to Raiders. However, I do consider Temple of Doom a good movie, and Last Crusade a very good movie.

By the way, how come it's always Star Wars that gets put into a comparison with all these other films?

Last edited by Terrell; 03-04-03 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-04-03, 02:25 PM

Would you even consider Indiana Jones to be a Trilogy or stand-alone films with the same character? Do any of the stories really tie into one another besides Indy?
Old 03-04-03, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by tha_dvd_man
I'll have to go with Indiana Jones, if only because I think Raiders of the Lost Ark is easily the best movie out of all three IJ and five SW movies. Star Wars does get a nod for its bigger emphasis on continuity throughout the movies, though. I think the third movie of both trilogies are easily the worst, just slapstick nonsense. Especially 'Last Crusade'.
My feelings too. Raiders of the Lost Ark is Spielberg in rare form, expertly embracing and surpassing b-grade adventure and boyhood fantasy that Star Wars only mimics.

As for Temple of Doom and Last Crusade, I contend that their scripts are just as silly as Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Lucas' dimestore philosophizing is on par with Spielberg's dimestore mysticism. The deciding factor is that Spielberg's direction on auto-pilot still trumps Kershner and Marquand.
Old 03-04-03, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm not exactly grading on how well they've held up, more on my initial impression (because there's no surprise now, so the grades would suffer a bit).

Star Wars: A
Empire: A+
Teddy Bears: B-

Raiders: A+
Temple of Doom: C -
Last Crusade: B+

So Star Wars it is.
Old 03-04-03, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I think Indy has stood the test of time as well, if not better than Star Wars. Star Wars has been helped imensly by the new trilogy, as well as the special editions.
Old 03-04-03, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by fumanstan
I think Indy has stood the test of time as well, if not better than Star Wars. Star Wars has been helped imensly by the new trilogy, as well as the special editions.
In terms of SW, one could almost argue the opposite on the reasons you have given.
Old 03-04-03, 05:58 PM

Indy by a hair.
Old 03-04-03, 07:08 PM
Banned

Hey all ! long time reader,first time poster And for my first post Ill have to say Indy hands down beats star wars.

I would like to be able to give a list of reasons why,but quite frankley its pretty simple. For me, Ive grown out of Star Wars,with the exception of Empire Strikes Back, it just doesnt entertain me as much anymore.

Now Indy however,never fails to give me solid entertainment. I get almost giddy watching those films . Kinda the same feeling I get watching Superman....

I disagree about things being different 5 years ago. Unless maybe the prequels hurt love of all things Star Wars? Possible I guess. But either way there is enough love for both in my home

Luis S
Old 03-04-03, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I like Star Wars just a tiny bit better. It is a very close call.
Old 03-04-03, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. DVD
In terms of SW, one could almost argue the opposite on the reasons you have given.
Heh true, although the prequels and special editions have certainly brought the universe back into the forefront.