Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Just watched the Ring... [SPOILERS]

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Just watched the Ring... [SPOILERS]

Old 02-28-03, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just watched the Ring...

and realized why I hated Feardotcom so much. Feardotcom was an absolutely rancid movie that didnt make any sense and was not scary at all. Its on the very top of my 'worst movies ever' list right next to 'sugar and spice'. While watching the ring I came to realize why feardotcom was so bad. They copied the idea of the ring almost exactly. The japanese version of the ring has been out for a while so some crappy US filmmaker decided to copy the idea but use the internet instead of a videotape. The endings of the two movies are almost the same. Even the idea of people getting nose bleeds was the same. This almost ruined my watching of The Ring, but it was good enough to let me see past the horifficness of feardotcom.

DO NOT SEE FEARDOTCOM EVAR. Its a horrible movie and should be removed from the face of the earth. Rent the ring instead, its the same movie, but the original and better, because it actually makes sense.
Old 02-28-03, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So shouldn't the topic be "Do not see Feardotcom?"

I would agree. I Disliked feardotcom but I also recommand starting threads about movie discussion in the movie forum.. as this isn't really talking about the dvd itself.

One comment though...
Rent the ring instead, its the same movie, but the original and better, because it actually makes sense.
So shouldn't it be rent the Original Import Ringu?
Old 02-28-03, 01:28 AM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
So shouldn't the topic be "Do not see Feardotcom?"

I would agree. I Disliked feardotcom but I also recommand starting threads about movie discussion in the movie forum.. as this isn't really talking about the dvd itself.

One comment though...

So shouldn't it be rent the Original Import Ringu?
Heh, sry, I guess I was just kinda pissed about having paid to see feardotcom last fall! I believe that the original Ringu is coming out in the US but not for several months until after the sales of the US version of the Ring have died down. Hopefully a mod will move this thread to the movies forum
Old 02-28-03, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ANY5546
Heh, sry, I guess I was just kinda pissed about having paid to see feardotcom last fall! I believe that the original Ringu is coming out in the US but not for several months until after the sales of the US version of the Ring have died down. Hopefully a mod will move this thread to the movies forum
Actually, Ringu's release date is the same as The Ring. (March 4th)
Old 02-28-03, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
I haven't seen Ringu yet. Should I watch it first, the The Ring, or does it matter?
Old 02-28-03, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
doesn't matter
Old 02-28-03, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by collven
I haven't seen Ringu yet. Should I watch it first, the The Ring, or does it matter?
If you plan on seeing both, anyway, I'd recommend watching the Japanese film first. I thought the Japanese Ring was a cool little film, but I found the American remake to be utter trash. Even if I liked the remake better, I'd still recommend seeing the Japanese film first.

DJ
Old 02-28-03, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by djtoell
If you plan on seeing both, anyway, I'd recommend watching the Japanese film first. I thought the Japanese Ring was a cool little film, but I found the American remake to be utter trash. Even if I liked the remake better, I'd still recommend seeing the Japanese film first.

DJ
If you actually did like the remake better, why would you still recommend the original? Someone pointed out before that people tend to graviate more towards whichever version they saw first. I'm no different, although this isn't always the case with me. I don't go out of my way to go against this tide, so to speak, but it just so happens that I tend to like the sophomore albums of bands more than their first albums, like most people. This is obviously different, in that they're different director and actors making, um, "art" based on the same material. I just don't understand why you would suggest, though, someone watch the original, if you, in fact, liked the remake better (which you didn't, but you know what I mean). I haven't seen the original, but I want to. I thought the remake was pretty decent. Definitely better than most of the crap that passed for movies last year. But nowhere on my top 20 list. Anyway, I would usually opt to see the original whenever possible, but if I liked the remake better (having seen it first or not), I would suggest that one. I haven't seen Open Your Eyes, but I still think Vanilla Sky is nothing short of brilliant.

K
Old 02-28-03, 04:31 AM

I recommend the original first from the stand point that it's budget was smaller than the remake so people might be expecting too much after watching the US version first. Production qualities and the atmosphere in the original are still great, however.
Old 02-28-03, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
I think that horrible flash ad has managed to keep more people away from feardotcom than 200 bad reviews could ever do!

Thank God it is finally gone!
Old 02-28-03, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw The Ring. Aside from the part with the horse, it was pretty bad. Making a rip-off movie of that movie could only be worse.

Place your bets now on when this thread will be moved to Reviews!
Old 02-28-03, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i watched the ring over the weekend.. it didn't do anything for me..

fear.com is still in my queue of things to watch, so i can't compare..
Old 02-28-03, 08:17 AM

Originally posted by TheKing
I think that horrible flash ad has managed to keep more people away from feardotcom than 200 bad reviews could ever do!

Thank God it is finally gone!
Man, I freakin' hated that ad. It started to get really annoying after the 50th time or so.
Old 02-28-03, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

feardotcom was absolutely terrible...I hated it with a passion.

The Ring on the other hand, rules. I'd recommend seeing the remake first... I liked it better than the original (i realize I'm in a minority) but I think seeing the remake first and then catching the original RINGU is the way to go... at least that's what I did....

MATT
Old 02-28-03, 09:55 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
I have not seen Ringu, but I thoroughly enjoyed The Ring. Can't wait to get the DVD!
Old 02-28-03, 10:33 AM

Wrong Forum?

Shouldn't this thread be over in the Movie Talk forum since the discussion is about the movie(s) itself and has nothing to do with the DVD release of said movie?

Just a thought...
Old 02-28-03, 10:40 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, and you're only the third person person to state that fact in this thread. In the future, using the "Report this post to a moderator" link is a much better way to get a mod to look at a thread, instead of posting in one we might never read.

Moving to Movie Talk.
Old 02-28-03, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by Cornelius1047
If you actually did like the remake better, why would you still recommend the original?
To recreate the process of watching them in the order released. This can provide a better understanding of the remake, especially if the remake references the original (e.g., Planet of the Apes). It also helps the viewer to understand what elements were new to the remake and what elements were borrowed from the original. It can provide much insight on what was on the remake filmmakers' minds when doing their version. It also helps to avoid making silly statements about the remake (e.g., "that shot was so original!") without having seen the original.

Someone pointed out before that people tend to graviate more towards whichever version they saw first.
Then I have gone against that trend: I saw the American remake in the theatre and then watched the Japanese original on DVD a few weeks later. I wanted to die 7 minutes into the American remake, but I found the Japanese original to be quite enjoyable. The Japanese film has the same basic story, but without the crappy let's-throw-random-things-in mentality that the American hackjob remake had.

DJ
Old 02-28-03, 12:20 PM

i thought the ring was awful as well. the ending was complete crap and gave no real reasoning for the existance of the tape.
Old 02-28-03, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally posted by dave19
i thought the ring was awful as well. the ending was complete crap and gave no real reasoning for the existance of the tape.
The fact that you didn't understand how that tape exists does not mean that it was not explained. There have been a few threads about this. I would recommend doing a search since I don't feel like explaining again.
Old 02-28-03, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Ring is up there with the Exorcist and others for me. Already hvae Ringu, but haven't gotten around to watching it. I'm of the mentality that you gravitate to which you saw first, but that's me.
Old 02-28-03, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by djtoell
To recreate the process of watching them in the order released. This can provide a better understanding of the remake, especially if the remake references the original (e.g., Planet of the Apes). It also helps the viewer to understand what elements were new to the remake and what elements were borrowed from the original. It can provide much insight on what was on the remake filmmakers' minds when doing their version. It also helps to avoid making silly statements about the remake (e.g., "that shot was so original!") without having seen the original.
DJ
I've seen the remake of Ocean's Elevan, should I watch the original too?

I prefer just watching The Ring and not the original. The remake is good enough and besides, you'll end up reading the dialogs more than enjoying the creepiness of the Ringu movie.
Old 02-28-03, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ocean's 11 and The Ring are a small minority of remakes that I believe are better than the original. I wouldn't bother with the original Ocean's 11 even though it would seem like it would be interesting given it's a rat pack movie. I found it rather dull and simplistic, although it is interesting that the majority of the original movie happens post-heist. As far as the Ring goes, I think it's one of the best horror movies ever made. Even if you didn't like it, I find it difficult to believe that some of you may think it's as bad as the majority of other horror movies that have been coming out recently (I hope I'm wrong in that assumption!)
Old 02-28-03, 03:15 PM

Of the two versions, I tend to like the original in that it was the first version I saw. This small budget horror film managed to convey that dread that I love. And the "Scene" was more effective in the original. It was way too bright and felt rushed in the remake. I also dig the sound effects and music of the original...more creepy watching in a dark room. I'm hoping the transfer has been cleaned up on the original. The Tartan version was way too dirty and had burned in subtitles...

FWIW, the dvdtalk review of the remake tends to suggest a special edition is on its way later on. Any chance this is indeed what will happen?

Last edited by Hannibal; 02-28-03 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-01-03, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This movie was good....ENOUGH FOR ME TO LAUGH AT!

I just watched it tonight, and I felt it was a utter mess. Who was this guy who directed it anyway? You go from doing movies like Mouse Hunt to the Mexican to coming up with this crap? Mouse Hunt was a far scarier movie (as is most anything with Nathan Lane will be pretty scary by default). The concept of some ghost coming off of the TV screen to kill people is not original, it's not scary, and even while I understand why this tape exists in this movie, I don't buy it. And I still don't understand why Naomi Watts managed to survive and what the hell was she doing at the end making another copy of it? Setting up Ring 2, I would only assume. Please kill me now. Not to mention I still don't get why the faces of these people appeared distorted after they viewed the tape, and why the horses were killing themselves hand over fist. Somebody wants to be David Lynch, me thinks.

I do see that this movie genearally got good reviews at rottentomatoes.com, so I guessed I missed something. But the again, movies like Jackass and Kangaroo Jack manage to make it to #1 at the box office, so I somehow doubt it.

People said this movie scared them, but the thing made me laugh out loud and clap my hands in a couple scenes at how poorly done the scenes were. The idea of ghosts coming out of my TV does not scare me. Reading reviews from adults who claim they have to sleep with their lights on after seeing this scares me! Maybe if I was 7 years old, but wow, that's just amazing. There is nothing scary in it! Of course, I can't recall the last time I was honestly scared by a movie. Signs had good suspense. Suspense, to me, is not scary. Maybe One Hour Photo, because something like that could happen, it's within the realm of realistic, but ghosts coming out of TVs, geez, come on, that's been done to death in anime and cartoons and it's NOT SCARY. But I did get a good laugh at how bad parts of it were.

I also dig the sound effects and music of the original
I haven't seen the original, but that reminded me....the scene with the horse in the remake running around on the ship. Geez, they certainly used some stock horse running sounds there, didn't they? I never knew a horse running around in a garage and on a boat with hard floors would sound like he was running in a field. Wow, I learn something new every day.

Last edited by calhoun07; 03-01-03 at 10:15 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.