Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Bulletproof Monk

Old 02-28-03, 12:51 AM

Bulletproof Monk

I just saw the preview for this over at MGM's website....anyways...yeah..it looks like a rip-off from Matrix w/ a smattering of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon...but I'm still interested...

Hey..it's got the awesome Chow Yun Fat...and the very hot Jaime King...

Vu
Old 02-28-03, 01:06 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't see how Steve Stiffler fits in. Its just doesn't look right with him in it, can't take it seriously.
Old 02-28-03, 01:15 AM

Dude...I totally agree....notice in my original post I didn't mention that fact....heheheh...he's not a draw for me in seeing this movie....

In fact....he is the anti-draw for me...hehehe
Old 02-28-03, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Stiffmister is the reason to see this movie...
Old 02-28-03, 02:53 AM

But that Jamie King on the other hand...
Old 02-28-03, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Stiffler makes it feel like a highlander spin off/rip off. I'm passing on what I have seen so far.
Old 02-28-03, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i might go see this..looks kind of interesting, but it all depends on what else is out at the time
Old 02-28-03, 02:01 PM

Could they have come up with a crappier title? The audience breaks into laughter everytime they show the title in the trailer.
Old 02-28-03, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well that was the name of the comic book. Besides, it's a comedy with a liberal dose of action added. My only complaint is that I was hoping there'd be no wire fu and lots of gunplay when I heard the movie was in production but sadly it seems the filmmakers chose to tone done the gunplay and jack up the action scenes with a lot (me thinks too much) wire fu.

Oh well. It still looks good and maybe it's just the trailer that's ho-hum. At least that one shot when Chow Yun Fat pulls out the two guns gives me hope.

BTW, am I the only one who notice4d that the trailer for this was edited almost exactly the same way as the trailer for The One. It even has the same music from that trailer. That was a little lazy of whoever made this trailer (perhaps the same person(s)?).

Last edited by RocShemp; 02-28-03 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-28-03, 09:18 PM

Mixed feelings about this. Still... it could be good.
Old 02-28-03, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wasn't completely enamored of the trailer, but its Chow Yun Fat, so the absense of hope is impossible.
Old 03-01-03, 04:05 AM

And Jaime King is in it after all...
Old 03-01-03, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by vdadlani219
Stiffmister is the reason to see this movie...
I agree
Old 03-01-03, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw the trailer a few months ago - I'm certainly gonna go see it.
Old 04-19-03, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The premise was okay, but the direction in this film (or the screenplay) had a hard time creating a feeling of urgency in it. The parts are better than the sum of the film. There's just something missing, a spark, in the film that could have made interesting or special. The pacing of the film is very average.

The onscreen chemistry between Chow Yun-Fat and Sean William Scoot is good, but the dialog is sort of middling to poor. The martial arts action is okay, some of it is fun (but given away in the trailer).

I liked the 3rd/final act more than the previous acts, but it doesn't quite salvage the film as whole. I am grateful the trailer doesn't give much of it away.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.
Old 04-20-03, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought it worked very well...as a comedy. I know that just about anybody who went into it looking for a martial arts action flick probably walked away very disappointed. But I laughed quite a bit and enjoyed myself.

On another note, I just don't get how some people have trouble disengaging an actor or actress from characters they played before. My wife does this with John Cusack in every movie (always called him Lloyd, his character's name in Say Anything). The actor in this movie is Sean William Scott, not Steve Stiffler. Some of you have trouble separating reality from fiction. How do you ever enjoy any film if you do this?
Old 04-20-03, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I agree with you Badger. I was surprised at how much I laughed as well. I thought as a comedy with some action it did pretty well.

I think it's crazy that people can't get away from an actor's previous roles. C'mon people.