DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Bulletproof Monk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/274849-bulletproof-monk.html)

vu_quy 02-28-03 12:51 AM

Bulletproof Monk

I just saw the preview for this over at MGM's website....anyways...yeah..it looks like a rip-off from Matrix w/ a smattering of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon...but I'm still interested...

Hey..it's got the awesome Chow Yun Fat...and the very hot Jaime King...

Vu

Fok 02-28-03 01:06 AM

Don't see how Steve Stiffler fits in. Its just doesn't look right with him in it, can't take it seriously.

vu_quy 02-28-03 01:15 AM

Dude...I totally agree....notice in my original post I didn't mention that fact....heheheh...he's not a draw for me in seeing this movie....

In fact....he is the anti-draw for me...hehehe

vdadlani219 02-28-03 02:38 AM

Stiffmister is the reason to see this movie...

Skank 02-28-03 02:53 AM

But that Jamie King on the other hand...

Jackskeleton 02-28-03 04:48 AM

Stiffler makes it feel like a highlander spin off/rip off. I'm passing on what I have seen so far.

the narrator 02-28-03 09:42 AM

i might go see this..looks kind of interesting, but it all depends on what else is out at the time

C.H.U.D. 02-28-03 02:01 PM

Could they have come up with a crappier title? The audience breaks into laughter everytime they show the title in the trailer.

RocShemp 02-28-03 02:12 PM

Well that was the name of the comic book. Besides, it's a comedy with a liberal dose of action added. My only complaint is that I was hoping there'd be no wire fu and lots of gunplay when I heard the movie was in production but sadly it seems the filmmakers chose to tone done the gunplay and jack up the action scenes with a lot (me thinks too much) wire fu.

Oh well. It still looks good and maybe it's just the trailer that's ho-hum. At least that one shot when Chow Yun Fat pulls out the two guns gives me hope.

BTW, am I the only one who notice4d that the trailer for this was edited almost exactly the same way as the trailer for The One. It even has the same music from that trailer. That was a little lazy of whoever made this trailer (perhaps the same person(s)?).

TheOne 02-28-03 09:18 PM

Mixed feelings about this. Still... it could be good.

clemente 02-28-03 11:53 PM

I wasn't completely enamored of the trailer, but its Chow Yun Fat, so the absense of hope is impossible.

Skank 03-01-03 04:05 AM

And Jaime King is in it after all...

thegame370 03-01-03 04:13 AM

Originally posted by vdadlani219
Stiffmister is the reason to see this movie...
I agree :thumbsup:

Trigger 03-01-03 05:26 AM

Saw the trailer a few months ago - I'm certainly gonna go see it.

chanster 03-02-03 03:47 PM

Need Help with Music from This Trailer (New Bulletproof Monk)

http://www.apple.com/trailers/mgm/bu...k/t_large.html

Somebody please tell me the song that first song that comes on after the initial narration..I believe its prodigy but am not sure.

Rypro 525 03-02-03 03:52 PM

I think its Firestarter but I'm not quite sure.

chanster 03-02-03 04:05 PM

I don't think thats it I think it goes something "Guess I should have known"

jaeufraser 03-02-03 04:09 PM

Oh well that song, with its "get busy" chorus is a Crystal Method song, "Busy Child." It's from the album titled Vegas.

cortan 03-02-03 04:09 PM

Originally posted by chanster
I don't think thats it I think it goes something "Guess I should have known"
I think its called "Guess I Didn't Know" by Crystal Method.

chanster 03-02-03 04:13 PM

Thanks all

caiman 04-10-03 12:43 PM

Bulletproof Monk - Biggest Matrix ripoff yet?

The first time I saw the trailer for this I was in shock. I mean, I know Hollywood is typically unoriginal, but this seems like too much. We have slow-motion bullets, kung-fu practice sessions, rooftop and helicopter fights, a teacher/student relationship involving a "he is the one" plotline, the ability to control your suroundings if you believe you can, etc etc. Is anyone else amazed at how derivative this movie looks?

fumanstan 04-10-03 01:11 PM

Isn't the movie based off a comic book?

caiman 04-10-03 01:17 PM

Originally posted by fumanstan
Isn't the movie based off a comic book?
Hmm, hadn't heard that.

PixyJunket 04-10-03 01:23 PM

Well considering Matrix was essentially a collection of rip-offs, I'm not too hurt that itself is being ripped off.

Sessa17 04-10-03 01:43 PM

I'm sorry, I must rant. I AM SO SICK TO DEATH OF PEOPLE CALLING EVERYTHING A MATRIX RIP-OFF. No I will not see Bullerproof monk. Yes, it looks stupid, that is why I will not see it. But it IS NOT A MATRIX RIP-OFF. It's based on a comic book (a pretty bad one) that came out BEFORE the Matrix.

The people saying EVERYTHING is a Matrix rip-off seem to only base their statements one of 3 things. 1: If it uses wires or bullet time 2: If a character wears black & 3: if they use two guns. THIS IS COMPLETELY RETARDED. For one YOU HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN THE MOVIE YET. And two, by that rationale, a movie is a Matrix rip-off it it has a guy & girl in it, if it has cars in it, if it has music, etc. hopefully you see where I'm going with this. So explain to me why Monk is a Matrix rip-off. And why is Matrix not a rip-off of say. . . Blade. Blade came out first, blade had a character in black leather, Blade had a character use guns. Blade had a lobby shoot out scene. Blade had wire work. Is Matrix a Balde rip-off then? NO, JUST B/C A MOVIE USES ONE OR TWO OR EVEN 3 SIMILAR THINGS DOES NOT MEAN IT'S A RIP-OFF!!!.

i'm sorry, I'm sure I will be flamed for this rant. So flame away.