Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why didn't I like Minority Report?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-03, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't quite put my finger on it.

It was a gorgeous film (lighting and cinematography), it was well cast and populated with interesting characters, I enjoyed the technology in it, it was plot twisty (I like twisty), but I ended up with a blah feeling towards it.

The only things that come to mind are the jarring elements: plot holes/devices and truly out of place hokey dialog the ejected me from the film. I've just started reading the debate on whether or not the ending was
Spoiler:
a dream
and while that may or may not help the film overall, it doesn't remove the blah from my experience.

Anyone else have a similar experience with it?
Old 02-24-03, 07:34 PM

You didn't like it 'cuz it sucks.

I thought it was pretty good overall, but there were things about it that made me feel dissatisfied.

Spoiler:
How could he have clearence to enter the facility again? This was, what, a day or two after he was charged with the murder? Wouldn't the database have been alerted of this?

The ending was dull too, IMO. Max Von Sydow (can't remember the character's name at the moment) could either shoot Anderton and be arrested while pre-crime continues, or he could NOT shoot him and not be arrested but Pre-Crime would be shut down. And he chooses to shoot himself, killing himself and the future of Pre-Crime. He has two win-lose choices and chooses the lose-lose. Hmmmmmm.........)
Old 02-24-03, 07:39 PM

It was hard to watch the movie from the very beginning, everything that was going on with the pre-crime, would never be allowed to happen. And spielburg has got to lay off the melodrama.

It is a watchable movie, but the majority of it was unnecessary.
Old 02-24-03, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by PaperStreetSoapCo
You didn't like it 'cuz it sucks.
The thing is my wife was very interested in seeing the film, as she had read nothing but glowing reviews for the film (and a friend worked as an art director). I forgot that it was "the film that reviewers couldn't hate" so I can't blame high expectations on my blah outcome.

The stuff in your spoiler box bugged me but not hugely. I guess it comes down to the large number of plot holes/devices that added up to an ultimately unsatisfactory experience.

Kind of a bummer, because it was a neat looking film with an interesting story.
Old 02-24-03, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I found that the more I watch it the more I make connections and fill in plot holes that may or may not be there.
Anyway, the more I watch it, the more it makes sense, and the more I like it. I can't really explain why that is. Maybe I'm trying too hard to like it. I don't know.
Old 02-24-03, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I liked it, it was the ending that moved the film experience from a 10/10 to a 8/10 and that pissed me off.
Old 02-24-03, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why didn't you like it?

My friend, You are the only one that can answer that.

I enjoyed it.
Old 02-24-03, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you are going into a film looking for plot holes, then you will definitely not like the movie.

I enjoyed "Minority Report" for what it is worth.
Old 02-24-03, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought it was well worth the money. Actually I enjoyed it a TON.
Old 02-25-03, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hmmmm….I thought Minority Report was easily Spielberg’s best movie in ages…the set design and cinematography brought to life a believable and compelling universe, rich in detail and texture. The characters were well developed, almost multi-dimensional. And the story held my interest. Like Saving Private Ryan, I sat enthralled for the first 20 minutes or so as Spielberg established the premise and set the tempo. I was hooked. But by the end, I felt cold, unsatisfied; wishing someone else directed the feature.

Beyond the plot holes a number of things bothered me.
Spoiler:

• The sappy and unnecessary side story concerning the loss of Anderton’s son. If I hadn’t been treated to this same plot device in AI maybe it would have worked. Instead, it seemed like short hand to develop instant sympathy for Anderton’s character.
• Product placement. When used sparingly familiar products can make a futurescape more realistic as in 2001 and Bladerunner. Here, however, the sheer quantity of products overwhelmed and annoyed me.
• The comic relief didn’t work for me; e.g. the scene where Anderton chased his eyes thru the alley took me completely out of the movie.
• The chase scene just went on and on and on. Compounding the excessive length, the action looked contrived and unrealistic. I didn’t believe for one second that Anderton was jumping from those cars---it reminded me of the arcade game, Frogger.
• The score. While not as heavy handed as some of John Williams’ prior work, the Boston Pops style music often played at odds with the visual imagery.
• The ending. I HATED the ending. And not because it was a complete rejection of PKD’s vision; rather, because Spielberg didn’t sell it to me with sufficient skill.

Believe me; I want to like this movie. I’ve seen it 3 times; sadly, I can’t and doubt I ever will.
Old 02-25-03, 02:24 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought it was a good movie, just should of ended 20 minutes earlier. It seemed to drag towards the end.
Old 02-25-03, 07:49 AM
Cool New Member

I liked it. One of the best movies from 2002. Been watching the DVD over and over recently.

Movies bound to have some plot holes, you just gotta live with it somehow. I just liked the art design and how it was prsented in the movie...so immersive. And the track that plays whenever Anderton thinks about his son is great, its cold and melancolic.
Old 02-25-03, 07:54 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
One thing I've noticed about this forum: if somebody doesn't like a film, they'll nitpick the plot holes to death. But if they enjoyed it, they're more than willing to overlook them. And sometimes folks WANT to hate movie because of who's involved, so they go in with a checklist and try to pull out as many holes as possible to pick at.
Old 02-25-03, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Groucho
One thing I've noticed about this forum: if somebody doesn't like a film, they'll nitpick the plot holes to death. But if they enjoyed it, they're more than willing to overlook them. And sometimes folks WANT to hate movie because of who's involved, so they go in with a checklist and try to pull out as many holes as possible to pick at.
You're absolutely right about this Groucho. People on the forum seem to be either overly critical or willing to overlook anything. Was Minority Report perfect? No, it wasn't. There were definitely things I would've changed about it (including the ending). However, it was also one of the more ambitious and enjoyable mainstream Hollywood flicks I saw last year.
Old 02-25-03, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But that's the thing. I really wanted to like it. As I said, I loved the look, I liked the actors, I liked the characters, but in the end I feld like I'd wasted my time on the movie and I'm a bit upset that I feel that way. To clarify, I'm not upset that the movie dissapointed, but I'm upset at my inability to just enjoy the film. I'm still unclear on why I can't seem to do that.
Old 02-25-03, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I didn't go in with an axe to grind against SS or TC, I don't care much about the plot holes, and I really enjoyed it for a long time. But the ending RUINED this movie for me. If you're a believer in the
Spoiler:
ending was a dream theory
, I think you're projecting the ending you wanted onto the pedestrian ending we get. I repeat, it RUINED this movie for me.
Old 02-25-03, 12:07 PM
Banned

Groucho, I agree 100%.

The thing is, there's nothing wrong with being really critical, I'm really critical and there's a lot of films I object to, but I would never use a checklist of plot holes as my explanation of why I didn't like the film. Yet people do this all the time. If you're not going to like the film you need better reasons as to why you didn't like it than it defyed some law of physics. Over in a thread about Starship Troopers some guy said he hated the movie because he objected to the millitary strategy, that the ships would never align themselves w/ the planet with their hulls exposed or some stupid s**t. And THATS why he didn't like the film. Now that's just silly. It might indeed be a bad film, but that's not why it's bad.
Old 02-25-03, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Why didn't I like Minority Report?

Originally posted by CheapBastid
The only things that come to mind are the jarring elements: plot holes/devices and truly out of place hokey dialog the ejected me from the film. I've just started reading the debate on whether or not the ending was
Spoiler:
a dream
and while that may or may not help the film overall, it doesn't remove the blah from my experience.
I'd say you pretty much nailed it... To this I would add that Spielberg's typical tame ending and plot twist that you could see coming a mile away pretty much killed this film.
Old 02-25-03, 01:55 PM

Can anybody elaborate what the ending in the PKD Novel was?
Old 02-25-03, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don’t doubt that what you describe sometimes takes place. We all carry bias and preconceived notions into the theater. I know that when I am truly engaged by a movie I seldom notice minor plot holes or inconsistencies as they occur--I’m too involved in the story, too invested in the characters to care. I experience the movie in real time. But when a movie fails to win me over, my mind wanders--I analyze the plot, think about the dialog, or wonder what will happen next. I become much more critical and less tolerant.

I also realize that movies have but a few short minutes to capture one’s attention. Mood, attitude, and other factors can play a role in one’s experience. That is why, if a movie has any redeeming qualities at all, I will usually watch it again to see if another day will different yield result.
Old 02-25-03, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
I liked it, but I could have lived without the square-up reel at the end. Not every story deserves to have a standard hollywood ending.

I saw nothing whatsoever to suggest that
Spoiler:
the ending was a dream
Old 02-25-03, 09:51 PM

people just love to over analyze Spielberg's endings....AI and Minority Report.
Old 02-25-03, 11:20 PM
Suspended

In my case it's not so much that I didnt like the movie - it was an ok rental at best. For me it more the fact that the last good rollercoaster movie that Spielberg has done was Jurassic Park. Winning the Schindlers List oscar and having kids has dulled his edge.

Stack his 90's work up against his 70's and 80's work. Jaws vs AI. Close Encounters vs Minority Report. Hell - even a dud like 1941 and/or Temple of Doom against his modern stuff stacks up hundreds of times better. It's like he goes with the 'safe' movies now, that he's lost the Eye of the Tiger.

It makes me wish that Duel would come out on disc that much sooner.

Last edited by El-Kabong; 02-25-03 at 11:24 PM.
Old 02-26-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The first plot hole cited is not a plot hole:

Spoiler:
The reason Anderton has his clearance intact is because you have to assume that Lamar kept it active because he has the access to do so to trap Anderton within the building.

And the ending is IMHO:

Spoiler:

a dream after Anderton gets hooked up like all the other criminals in incarceration, just listen to what the jailer-dude says. Please note the ending is very much a simplistic Scooby Doo dreamlike conclusion where everything just falls in place.
Old 02-26-03, 01:55 PM

I went in expecting a fun, entertaining movie with a relatively interesting plot, not a "Spielberg masterpiece". I think that's why I enjoyed it a lot, and would have otherwise been disappointed.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.