Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Worst Ending Ever?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-03, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Agreed with Cube 2: Hypercube.

I still enjoy the first 70 minutes though Actually I like it up through

Spoiler:
the fight with the guy. As soon as shes the only one left alive, it all goes to hell.

oh and I liked AI's ending.

-Rich
Old 04-06-03, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by FalconH10
How about titanic? Such a happy movie and then all those people end up dying, pissed me off.
Yeah, that's why I hated the ending of Apollo 13. I just felt it was so unrealistic -- no way those guys could have survived that. And Bonnie and Clyde had a lot of people getting shot up, people dying. I hated that too.

My list of worst endings:

Gangs of New York
Is this how the book ended? Or is this what happened in real life? In any event, the ending was so anticlimactic, and so disappointing.

Chasing Amy
I love Kevin Smith, loved the movie -- but as I always tell people, "When you reach the point in the movie where it feels like the movie is about to end... get up and shut off the VCR. When they are cuddling together at the end, and the movie seems like it is going to end -- shut off the movie."

The Game
I swear, my wife and I saw the ending coming a mile away, and both of us were saying, "Oh, God, no. Please don't end the movie end this way. If the movie ends this way... oh God, no. Please no." A thoroughly riddiculous movie, a thoroughly riddiculous ending.

Planet of the Apes (remake)
Actually, I have succesfully deluded myself into believing that not only did this ending not actually occur... but the movie itself never happened...
Old 04-06-03, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lake Placid & Deep Blue Sea...for now.
Old 04-06-03, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by ncmojo
Yeah, that's why I hated the ending of Apollo 13. I just felt it was so unrealistic -- no way those guys could have survived that. [/i]...
You know that this is a true story right??? THat that actually happened that way and that was the real outcome
Old 04-06-03, 04:19 PM

I think the little winky face at the end of that paragraph was supposed to show that he was being sarcastic
Old 04-06-03, 11:52 PM

Dreamcatcher
Old 04-07-03, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
I did not like AI's ending as I agree with many of the previous posters here.
I vote for Congo. IIRC, it was an
Spoiler:
ass
of an ending. Absolutely horrid.
Old 04-07-03, 04:48 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by REL77
You know that this is a true story right??? THat that actually happened that way and that was the real outcome
I was just about say the same for whoever said the ending for Titanic was bad. Man, it's called history, those poor and rich people all died.

Now for my choice, I'd have to pick... I'll have to get back to you on that, can't recall anything from memory atm.
Old 04-07-03, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll be the first mention Shawshank Redemption and Minority Report. While the ending's weren't the worst, I think that in contrast to the rest of the movie they stank pretty bad.

Shawshank should have ended when:

Spoiler:
Red finished reading the letter he finds in the field, or when he's on the bus before that. He says something about not being sure about meeting up with his friend. They should have left it ambiguous. Instead they show some fruity ending with them meeting up on the beach.

And Minority Report should have ended when:

Spoiler:
Tom Cruise was found guilty and there was that shot of him in that chamber or whatever. It would have been an ideal ironic ending.
Old 04-07-03, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Final Fantasy:The Spirits Within. The ending of that thing is quaranteed to suck all the joy out of your life.

Also any slasher or monster flick where the monster springs back to life in the last scene of the film.

And for anyone who's seen the alternate ending of CLERKS, if it'd been used, that would've been the worst movie ending EVER. Dunno what KS was thinking at the time.

So can you tell I'm not a big fan of grim endings?
Old 04-07-03, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Sliver
Boxing Helena
Old 04-07-03, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hated the ending to Boiler Room. I was really upset with it. I thought it should have ended like the alternate ending on the DVD
Old 04-07-03, 08:25 PM

SPHERE

I wish I could just forget that 2 hours of my life!
Old 04-07-03, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

First to mention Independence Day. That ending is f***ing retarded. The whole movie is retarded.

I agree with the following too:
Sphere
Arlington Road
Final Fantasy: Spirits Within
Deep Impact
The Core
House on Haunted Hill (remake)
Old 04-08-03, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Originally posted by fmian
I'll be the first mention Shawshank Redemption. While the ending's weren't the worst, I think that in contrast to the rest of the movie they stank pretty bad.

Shawshank should have ended when:

Spoiler:
Red finished reading the letter he finds in the field, or when he's on the bus before that. He says something about not being sure about meeting up with his friend. They should have left it ambiguous. Instead they show some fruity ending with them meeting up on the beach.
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.
Spoiler:
I thought the ending was a great payoff and it started their adventure as free men. It didn't linger on them reaquainting themselves and it wasn't as sappy as it could have been.
Old 04-08-03, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Originally posted by lookslikeme
SPHERE

I wish I could just forget that 2 hours of my life!
I was just about to put that down. No fair that they could will themselves to forget... I just wish I could have.
Old 04-08-03, 01:32 AM

I have to go with The Game. Talk about a wussy, cop-out happy ending. If it had ended the way it should have ended, it may have been a great film, but the ending they went with ruined the entire film.

Oh, and I think the final scene of Shawshank Redemption is the best scene in the entire film. Fruity? Oh please.
Old 04-08-03, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
The grand champion here is easily Unbreakable....i've never enjoyed a theater experience less.....
Old 04-08-03, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by C.H.U.D.
Oh, and I think the final scene of Shawshank Redemption is the best scene in the entire film. Fruity? Oh please.
Like I said, not the worst ending ever, and it doesn't ruin the movie in any harsh way, but in contrast it was pretty bad. I took a film class during University were we had to compare literature to it's screen adaption, and everyone in the class seemed to think the ended was too sappy. I can't remember exactly how the book ends but it doesn't go so far as to show them meeting up. It is just my opinion though and everyone is entitled to their own.
Old 04-08-03, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
AI (just when I thought the movie couldn't get any dumber, the ending did just that)
Contact (the end felt like a rip off)
Independence Day (the whole thing was a turd but the crop duster was really ridiculous)
Old 04-08-03, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by fmian
I'll be the first mention Shawshank Redemption and Minority Report. While the ending's weren't the worst, I think that in contrast to the rest of the movie they stank pretty bad.
Odd that you bring this up!

To me, Shawshank has an ambiguous ending.
Spoiler:
Red talks about how he imagines Andy driving, a free man, and we see it. It's reasonable that when he's on the bus to Fort Hancock, we see what he hopes will happen that he meets his friend. We never know if Andy ever achieved his dreams, or if Red will achieve his - he, and us, can only hope.

Also, in MR - Gideon says something to the effect that when a person is haloed, that person dreams vividly.
Spoiler:
After John is haloed, it could be construed that he remains haloed, is never freed, and lives out a dream - his name being cleared and a reunion with his wife.
Old 04-08-03, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by inVectiVe
First Planet of the Apes (the remake) post.
I would tack on the the entire last half an hour as the worst ending for Planet of the Apes (2001).

My pick, though, actually goes for one of my all time favorite movies - A Nightmare on Elm Street. It may not be the worst ending on its own, but when it is slopped on to one the best horror movies of all time, that makes it tops (bottoms) to me.

Another poor ending on a great movie is Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I understand that it was because they ran out of money and stuff, so it isn't THAT bad all things considered.
Old 04-09-03, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not sure if I think it's the worst ending ever, but I always find the last 10 minutes of suicide kings to be a bit of a letdown. The movie works great developing as it does then they try the whole multiple twist thing which never does anything for me.
Old 04-09-03, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
AI isn't the worst, imo, but it's far from the best. It went on much too long.

I wish it had ended
Spoiler:
when Haley Joel Osment's ship landed underwater at the foot of the fairy statue, and he was stuck
That would have been bee-yoo-ti-full.
Old 04-09-03, 11:42 AM
Banned

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If A.I. ended there it would be an awful ending. Oh sure, it's ironic, in a Twilight Zone kind of way, but a motion picture has to have a real ending, not some enigmatic ironic cliffhanger. Spielberg's making a movie, with 3 acts, a beginning, a middle, and an end. So often today H'wood movies are all second act and often end w/out a conclusion, but rather cop out with a TZ style "twist". Spielberg isn't making a "twist" movie. It wouldn't be in A.I.s best interest to have a clever ending. A.I.'s ending certainly riffs on 2001:ASO, so for that I will criticize it, but it goes on because it must have a conclusion. You guys want clever over complete. You'd rather have an incomplete narative that's clever then a resolved narative.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.