Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ah, the wonders of Frame-By-Frame analysis.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-03, 08:14 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't you love how DVD technology brought us hi-res frame-by-frame? It could be a curse in some cases. To see what I mean, pop in your GoldenEye: SE DVD, spring forward to Chapter 34, time index 1:23:28. The tanks and police car scene. I would like to hear from people of what they see at the moment the tank runs through the police car.

There is another scene in Lethal Weapon 4, but I'll save that one for later
Old 02-15-03, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
????

There's a yellowish smudge (shadow, reflection?) on the left side of the picture, for 1 frame only, but that's all I notice as unusual. Don't know what that is, or if that's what you're hinting at. Can you explain more?
Old 02-15-03, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw Gary Coleman !!
Old 02-15-03, 10:52 PM

i think i saw jimmy hoffa
Old 02-15-03, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it's the contents of the briefcase from Pulp Fiction.
Old 02-15-03, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I looked over and over, and I didn't see anything but the previously mentioned yellowish smudge. I saw nothing unusual. Is this some kind of sick joke to make us all feel stupid?
I don't get it.
Old 02-16-03, 05:54 AM
Cool New Member

Hehehe, I think you all missed the point. I left it too vague, my bad. Is it me or is that stunt gone wrong? I mean, there is a guy in the driver's seat of that police car. Look where the tank went, RIGHT THROUGH the driver's side. I also believe I saw pinkish/red matter spray forward along the path of the tank as it crushes its way through the driver's side. Check it out. If I am right, it is the most gruisome movie death I've ever seen. I firmly believe someone got creamed in this stunt. Someone please convince me otherwise.
Old 02-16-03, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the bad was added for effect to trick people like you.
Old 02-16-03, 08:20 AM
Banned

Originally posted by torrance
i think i saw jimmy hoffa
No you didn't.
Old 02-16-03, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
the bad was added for effect to trick people like you.
The bad?
Old 02-16-03, 05:13 PM
Cool New Member

I can smell a special effect from a mile away. This one is not, IMHO. Why else would the director be compelled to cut to a scene showing the driver managing to stumble out?
Old 02-16-03, 05:27 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
So you are saying that somebody was grusomely killed ON-SCREEN and the studio hushed it up?

There are enough bad Hollywood urban legends. Let's not add another one to the stack.
Old 02-16-03, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Originally posted by VelociRacer
I can smell a special effect from a mile away. This one is not, IMHO. Why else would the director be compelled to cut to a scene showing the driver managing to stumble out?
Cmon, use some logic. You're saying they covered it up? They managed to keep every crewmember on the set that day quiet all this time? Wanna buy a bridge?

Seriously, anytime a stuntman is killed filming a scene, you hear about it in the news. Don't you think he has a family that would notice he never returned from filming 8 years ago? Or are they part of the coverup too?
Old 02-16-03, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah, honestly if someone is killed during the making of a movie, not only do they get a remembrance in the movie credits many times, it IS as big deal and I doubt any studio would be so insensitive as to use the footage of them getting killed in the actual film.
Old 02-16-03, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I see dead people.
Old 02-17-03, 08:47 PM
Cool New Member

Oh sure this would be kept under wraps, knowing these are stunt people, they take risks for a living, and injury or even death comes with territory. Besides, this scene was shot in Russia. Come on, stop being naive. A double nearly got eaten by a crocodile, didn't you watch the extras?

Wanna see more stunts gone wrong? Pop in Lethal Weapon 4, go to Special Features -> Dynamite -> B-Roll Footage -> Time index 7:12. Grand Am crash out of the building. Freeze frame and watch the window cleaner on the right hand side. Now that's gotta hurt! And they used a different shot in the film (thus, B-Roll designation). Did anyone ever hear about THAT one?
Old 02-17-03, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think it was a stuntman in that car, I'm pretty sure it was the little boy's ghost from Three Men and a Baby.
Old 02-17-03, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really don't think they'd plan a sequence where two cars get mashed by a tank and put real people inside. The can rig a car to be controlled from somewhere off screen. Heck, they could have even been minniatures.
Old 02-18-03, 06:41 PM
Cool New Member

They could have been miniatures, eh? I suppose the cars were made of rice paper? Maybe some sheets of micron thin metal. This is not how I remember my HotWheels I am still not convinced, lame justifications so far. Come on, seeing is believing, why do you refuse to believe?
Old 02-18-03, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Did you watch the commentary? I believe I remember seeing something (maybe it was the commentary or a special feature - it was my former roommate's disc so I can't verify) where they explained the stunt and why they had to show the cop get out of the wreckage.
Old 02-18-03, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Originally posted by VelociRacer
They could have been miniatures, eh? I suppose the cars were made of rice paper? Maybe some sheets of micron thin metal. This is not how I remember my HotWheels I am still not convinced, lame justifications so far. Come on, seeing is believing, why do you refuse to believe?
Because you're wrong, simple as that. Anything we say, you'll brush off as lame, so there's really no point. Not to mention, it's impossible for us to prove to you it did not happen, that's a logical fallacy. No one can prove a negative. The onus rests on you to prove it did happen. Your untrained eye while viewing a frame by frame sequence of the film does not prove anything. But you go ahead believing what you will, it's amusing.

And yes, stunts do get messed up. But there's a huge difference between a stuntman being injured and a stuntman being killed.
Old 02-20-03, 05:50 AM
Cool New Member

Take a chill pill Darin. If you cannot come up with a strong argument, go back to your rosy reality. I am not interested in speculation. What I am suggesting can be backed up by on-screen footage. Besides, when was the last time you've ventured freely onto a movies set where cars were being crushed? Have you not heard of things like: "Confidentiality/Non-Disclosure Agreement" or even "Settlement"? Well, I hope I am wrong, but it doesn't look like it can be proven for sure.

What do you guys think of the Lethal Weapon 4 clip? Isn't that horrible? All the preparation and rehersals, yet no one can predict what would happen when the cameras are rolling.
Old 02-20-03, 12:28 PM
Registered

RevLiver and VelociRacer

You BOTH need to watch the personal attacks. There's no need to take pot shots at eachother.

Please keep the thread on the discussion on the topic and away from personal attacks
Old 02-20-03, 12:35 PM
Banned

If a stuntman were killed they wouldn't use the shot of him dieing. When these things happen it's a big deal. Twilight Zone movie anyone?

Last edited by Pants; 02-20-03 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-20-03, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It could be a dummy in the car!!!

Heck...just watch those poor souls get struck by the T-1000 in that Semi in T2 when he first chases John.They go bobbing back & forth,oh what whiplash they suffer! Yet the people in the cars are so obviously dummies(no not that kind..but fakes!).Or wait are those really real people being hit..& it was covered up??

Dam that James Camerom & his murderous tactics!!!

Some people are to quick to find a conspiracy out of everything.You should just chill out,grab a chill pill & get outside into the real world.The sunlight & fresh air will do you good

OH & what happens to the window cleaner in LW 4? Did he get killed or just injured?

I never liked the movie,thus only saw it once in theaters.

Oh speaking of another Mel Gibson stunt casulty.Check out Mad MAx & you see one of the bikers get smacked in the head by his bike as he goes flying off.Don't worry...he lived with no injuries

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.