Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Oh for the love of.....Josh Hartnett as "Superman"?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Oh for the love of.....Josh Hartnett as "Superman"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-03, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Originally posted by MrX
I've seen the original article they're talking about and I highly doubt it's true. Their's no direct quotes from anyone involved or DB's people. I think this is the same paper that said he was going to be in Tomb Raider.
Tomb raider? For some reason I just can't picture him as Lara Croft

Charisma Carpenter tho...
Old 03-02-03, 02:33 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Here's the original story
http://www.hellomagazine.com/2003/02...ichellegellar/
Old 03-02-03, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
imdb
Hollywood heart-throb Josh Hartnett has added a high level of turbulence to the long-awaited revival of Superman - by turning down the chance to play the superhero. The Black Hawk Down star, 24, was pitched as the ideal contender to take over from Christopher Reeve's portrayal of the Man of Steel, but the actor has decided to opt out of Warner Brothers' offer. Remaining candidates reportedly include Brendan Fraser, Paul Walker and American soap star Matthew Bomer.
Old 03-02-03, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paul Walker? Jesus, where do they get these ideas?
Old 03-02-03, 08:13 PM

They should just go with an unknown.....or Keanu Reeves jk
Old 03-03-03, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I still think Joe Rogan would be good, but everyone's ignored my idea so far.
Old 03-03-03, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't believe they feel a need to go with a star. Doesn't WB remember that Christopher Reeve was a nobody at the time? And look at how perfect he was.

But if it has to be a name:

Tom Welling.
Old 03-03-03, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Fraser should get the part. No contest. He doesn't have much internet popularity since The Mummy--if he ever had it--but he's a moderately good actor and an extreme professional, with a face and body tailor-made for both Clark & Supes.

Only problem is he doesn't have much draw at the moment. Casting him won't be an exciting move. I don't expect him to get it, but he could probably take the role farther than any of the other serious candidates.
Old 03-03-03, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cancelling my pre-order.
Old 03-03-03, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
I know he's already played a superhero, but what about Hugh Jackman?

Oh, I think that Boreanaz would make a good Clark Kent/Superman, also.
Old 03-03-03, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by slop101

Oh, I think that Boreanaz would make a good Clark Kent/Superman, also.
Me too, but I think he'd make an even better Batman.
Old 03-17-03, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is a God -- Paul Walker has officially dropped out of the running. Whew.

http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,4...downto,00.html

Another actor has dropped out of the ''Superman'' casting consideration, leaving only two contenders to play Clark Kent in Warner Bros.' long-gestating effort to revive the film franchise. Variety reports that ''The Fast and the Furious'' star Paul Walker walked on Thursday, citing qualms with the lengthy commitment (seven to 10 years for three films) and his attachments to movies already in the can (''The Fast and the Furious 2,'' for which he's committed to a monthlong promotional campaign, and ''Timeline'') or about to shoot (June's ''Heart of a Soldier''). He's the latest contender, after Josh Hartnett and Ashton Kutcher, to turn down the chance to play the Man of Steel.

That leaves Brendan Fraser and Matthew Bomer. ''The Mummy'' star Fraser certainly has the edge in name recognition over ''Guiding Light'' actor Bomer. On the other hand, he's 34 years old, about 9 years older than Christopher Reeve was when he started playing Superman. Soap star Bomer is largely unknown, but that would help keep his salary low on a movie whose budget is reportedly around $200 million, and he's only 24 years old.

Talking to Entertainment Weekly this week, director Brett Ratner defended the lengthy casting process, saying, ''We are still in the process of evaluating the best candidate for the part, and we want to take the time to make sure that we get it right.'' Executive producer Andrew Davis says the project is still on track to begin shooting in August for a summer 2004 release.
Old 03-17-03, 11:44 AM

The New Superman...

I think these 2 guys would kick major a$$...
Carrot Top...

and Screech
Old 03-18-03, 03:00 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
That leaves Brendan Fraser and Matthew Bomer.
The Hollywood Reporter is reporting these 2 are out now. Ratner is probably out after today also.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hol...ent_id=1840541

Last edited by MrX; 03-18-03 at 03:02 AM.
Old 03-18-03, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I mentioned this in another post about Superman aswell.
You need someone who can play a convincing nerd in glasses and not seem built at all, but has a great body underneath the shirt and tie, and looks like he can kick ass.

You know I'm talking about Christian Bale.

Old 03-18-03, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

"The Hollywood Reporter says it's back to the drawing board again as both Brendan Fraser and Matthew Bomer are now out of contention for the title role."

Crap! This is never going to make it to the screen. Ratner is going to back out, i can feel it.

If Brendan Fraser were absolutly not going to play superman, i think Christian Bale is a close second out of the people they're mentioned. So far none of his movies have done much for me, but he fits the look, and he's got the acting chops to pull it off. And i think he could spare the "7 years" they're saying is required for the movie.

You have to wonder if Ratner has ever SEEN superman, comic, movie, TV, or otherwise. I mean, Paul Walker, Josh Hartnett? ... Way off. And this supposed creative license they've taken with the script.. Gay Jimmy Olsen, The suit being the source of Supes power, etc etc.. are Blasphemy.
Old 03-18-03, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmmm..supermancinema.net is saying the contrary:

MATTHEW BOMER IS SUPERMAN...

...says my source, and he has never been wrong before:

Just wanted to let you know that decision is being made now and that Bomer has it locked, as far as the filmmakers go. But...

There will be a major meeting of all the powers that be next week and only they can stop his casting now. That is scary, because these are business people and NOT filmmakers. Imagine a meeting of major shareholders back in 1977 deciding on the casting of Reeve, an unknown, in the lead. That's the problem here. They are terrified a no-name won't bring people in.

Brendan Fraser is the other candidate, which the 'suits' would probably prefer, have to wait and see now.
Old 03-18-03, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Uhhhmmmm....are you sure the so called creative licenses were with Olsen?