Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Other comic books that should be made into movies

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Other comic books that should be made into movies

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-03, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts
Originally posted by xDareDevilx
Preacher!!!
and

Transmetropolitan

(which I heard a rumor that one of these is in talks of becoming a film...i forget which one though)
Both are early in the production phase(script polishing) Patrick Stewart has expressed interest in in playing Spider Jerusalem in Transmet(there's a photo of him posing as Spider somewhere on the net)

Garth Ennis is writing the Precher script with James (Cyclops) Marsden interested in playing Jessie Custer. I'd rather see Matthew Mconeahahaya however it's spelled.
Old 02-14-03, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Battle chasers (then again, 15 minutes into the movie the director will forget what's going on and play FF7 all day)
I always wondered what happened to this comic...
Old 02-14-03, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Death ( I could totally see TIme of Your Life being made into a nice indie movie)
Bone
Infinity Gauntlet
Old 02-14-03, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by steebo777
The Death of Superman written and directed by Kevin Smith

Considering Smith is horrorible with action scenes.. I would really hate to see half this movie while the other have would have great dialouge.
Old 02-14-03, 05:42 PM

How about:

Iron Fist
Shang Chi Master of Kung Fu
Nick Fury
Warrior Nun Areala
Lady Pendragon
Old 02-14-03, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

While not exactly popular, I do think The Trigun Empire would make an awesome movie. The epic grandure of this series would be a good companion in the theaters to Lord of the Rings (not comparing the two stories at all, but just saying Trigun is epic in scale and should be seen in a movie).

Marvelman. Or "Miracle"man as he is commonly known in America.

David Boring would be my choice for the next Daniel Clowes work to be made into a motion picture.

MAUS, the animated movie.

Big Numbers, especially since Alan Moore can't seem to get this story done in graphic novel form, let's at least see the movie!
Old 02-14-03, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,525 Posts
Originally posted by majorjoe23
Both are early in the production phase(script polishing) Patrick Stewart has expressed interest in in playing Spider Jerusalem in Transmet(there's a photo of him posing as Spider somewhere on the net)

Garth Ennis is writing the Precher script with James (Cyclops) Marsden interested in playing Jessie Custer. I'd rather see Matthew Mconeahahaya however it's spelled.
Movies of these two would be great news, if done well (two of my favorite comics from the last several years).

John Constantine would be great, but Keanu Reeves??? WTF???

Someone mentioned Peter Bagge. I could see a really nice indie film done based on "Hate". (hey they did Ghost World).
Old 02-14-03, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

-Green Lantern would be cool

The Dark Knight Returns (with Clint Eastwood ??)

-The Fantastic Four
Old 02-14-03, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by steebo777
The Death of Superman written and directed by Kevin Smith
Where Superman kills himself because Lois Lane talks too much?
Old 02-14-03, 11:10 PM

i'd like to see an avengers movie; it would be pretty cool if they used the cg technology that was used in final fantasy: spirits within. that way you wouldn't spend so much of the movie wondering, "oh, that looks kinda realistic, i guess" or "geez that shot looked horrible" and concentrate more on the movie itself.
Old 02-15-03, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Last thing I heard about a John Constantine movie, Keanu was still attached and the story has to do with a New York cop who investigates the paranormal. BOLLOCKS! (Is it any wonder why Alan Moore wants nothing to do with the movie adaptations of his creations?)

I don't think that "Kingdom" Come" could make a good movie because it's too fan-boyish. (And I mean that in a good way.) Movie-goers, in general, would not understand it.

"Watchmen" is impossible to adapt unless, as someone else already mentioned, you did it as a cable miniseries. I feel the same way about "The Dark Knight Returns" and "Sandman". (And "Sandman", in my opinion, could only be done justice if it were animated instead if live-action.) "From Hell" could have been done well this way, also. Instead, we got that horrible mess from the Hughes Brothers.

There was a "Bone" movie planned at one time by Disney. However, it fell apart (and I'm glad it did) because Disney allowed creator Jeff Smith to have major input and he nixed the idea of adding songs and making it more of a Disney film.

I doubt that "Maus" will ever be made since Art Spiegelman doesn't want it to be made.

"Transmetropolitan" could be made into a great film, but will probably be made into a very bad one.

"Box Office Poison" would make a fine, small film, but since only about a dozen or so people read it, this will never happen. The same goes for "Safe Area Gorazde".

Brian Michael Bendis is a popular writer now and several of his books have been optioned. ("Powers" seems to be a go at this time.) However, I haven't heard anything about "Torso", which I believe would be quite easy to adapt into a good film.

I don't think that Brain Azzarello's "100 Bullets" could be adapted very well due to the large scope of the conspiracy aspect. but the stand alone stories could adapt quite well.

"Whiteout" has potential (although I actually enjoyed the second "Whiteout" miniseries better than the first), but Reese Witherspoon is supposedly attached now, and that makes me nervous.

Neil Gaiman's "Violent Cases", Mr. Punch", and "Signal To Noise" would make a great trilogy of short films.

"Madman" was supposed to be made by Robert Rodriguez, but it looks to be on indefinite hold. This is fine by me because I think that "Madman" can only really work as a comic book.

"X-Statix" would make a fine counterpoint to the "X-Men" movies, but will just upset more fanboys than it already has, while alienating any fans of the "X-Men" films at the same time.

And perhaps some day it will be possible for someone to make a "Daredevil" movie that's actually good.

jim

Last edited by Gamblor187; 02-15-03 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-15-03, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Kingdom come would be too hard to pull off. And i don't think a mainstream audience would enjoy it.

I'd love to see an attempt at a Justice League Movie once they get the Batman and Superman Franchises up and rolling. But i doubt they can do it.

But i think its about time Fantastic Four got some props. It could make a great movie if done like spiderman/hulk.
Old 02-15-03, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Fantastic Four and JLA have been made into movies. I've seen them both and they are terrible.
Old 02-15-03, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
Fantastic Four and JLA have been made into movies. I've seen them both and they are terrible.
Not THOSE...
Old 02-15-03, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

John Constantine as a yankee? Uhhhh...
Old 02-15-03, 10:27 AM

GREEN LANTERN
STATIC SHOCK
IRON MAN
Old 02-15-03, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The subject of a Hollywood bastardization of a MAUS film is the subject of this arc of "Angry Naked World" (Read the line here).

Understand that the short character there was bitten by a radioactive Tobey Maguire, and now believes he is him...
Old 02-15-03, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Frank Miller's Sin City
Old 02-15-03, 04:52 PM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is no series better than Ghost Rider, IMO. I would give anything for a decent GR film, whether it be the original Ghostie (John Blaze) or Ghost Rider II (Dan Ketch). Last I heard, David Goyer's dark R-rated script was rejected.

A Nightstalkers movie would be nice too, instead of a Blade 3. For those that don't know, Blade originally served as a member of the campire and occult hunting gang, the Nightstalkers, which consisted of: Blade, Hannibal King, and Frank Drake. It had tie-ins with Ghost Rider, Dr. Strange, Morbius, Mephisto, and several other notable characters that would make for movie magic.
Old 02-15-03, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Steve Ditko's Question and Mister A.
Old 02-15-03, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Harbinger
Old 02-15-03, 10:09 PM
Needs to provide a working email

I remember this comic I used to read called Star Wars. Somebody should make a move about that.
Old 02-15-03, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 697 Likes on 430 Posts
HARBINGER?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

God yer taking me back. How about the Ultraverse... or Plasm?!?!
Old 02-16-03, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Wonder Woman
Old 02-16-03, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Hollywood should slow down on the superhero films for a while. Its becoming overkill and the movie going public will get burned out really fast. As a result some potentually cool movies will bomb and will kill the genre all together.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.