Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Christopher Guest's A Mighty Wind

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Christopher Guest's A Mighty Wind

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-03, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I finally got around to seeing this on Sunday. I went in with low expectations...loved all of Guest's other movies but had been hearing mixed things about Mighty Wind.

I loved it. I don't know if I liked it as much as Guffman or Best in Show, but I've seen those movies numerous times so I really can't compare yet. Eugene Levy was (unfortunately) a bit annoying at times, but the rest of the cast was excellent. Parker Posey was underused...seemed like they could have done so much more with her character. Fred Willard was absolutely hysterical. His TV show ideas for the New Main Street Singers were great. It was great to have Harry Shearer back as well.

Not sure why so many didn't like it, but I thought it was great...
Old 05-27-03, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was entertaining enough. The problem I have with some of Guest's work is that you can almost 'feel' the actors hamming it up and improvising. "Look how clever I'm being right now!" Spinal Tap never had that feeling for me. Guffman felt pretty solid too.

And the very ending? C'mon.....

Ea.. A.. Oe's
Old 05-28-03, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Sure that last joke was as cheap as they come, but I still laughed.

A quick question:

I remember a couple of posts mentioning something about the Folksmen performing a cover of the Rolling Stones "Start Me Up," yet don't remember any such scene in the film.
The song, however, is on the film's soundtrack. Was this edited out before the wide release? If so, hopefully it will find its way onto the DVD extras.

BTW, did anyone notice that Annette O'Toole (Superman III's Lana Lang) co-wrote a number of songs in the movie? I guess it shouldn't be too big suprise since she is married to Michael McKean, but I thought it was a cool piece of trivia. Another cool piece of info from her IMDB bio is that she provided back-up vocals for "The First Nudie Musical."

Last edited by TheAllPurposeNothing; 05-28-03 at 03:27 AM.
Old 07-27-03, 06:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw this flick two nights ago at the local film festival. My review may be skewed because I have seen both Spinal Tap and Best In Show but I have NOT seen Waiting for Guffman.

PROS: Just about every actor is back from BIS. It's fun to see the faces I laughed at so much in Guest's last film. The story line, the dialougue are very similar if not the same as BIS. The humor is still incredibly dry and the characters are eccentric as ever. Guest has a great way of showing how people take their work/craft WAY too seriously.

CONS: While the writing and the acting are on par with Guest's previous work, I didn't find the subject as interesting/funny. Now, huge disclaimer here, I'm really too young to know about the folk music era. Even though I've heard folk music and certainly know what it is, I suspect this is the main reason I didn't find it as funny.

OVERALL: I'd like to commend Christopher Guest for doing something that a lot of writers/directors don't - sticking with what works and keeping it entertaining. Too many times do we see writers have success in one area and decide, "Now I really want to try something different/cutting edge" which turns out to be crap. While I don't think A Mighty Wind is funnier than Best In Show, I was glad to see more of Guest's unique, dry, funny style
Old 10-28-18, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Re: Christopher Guest's A Mighty Wind

Months ago I found this DVD on our condo building’s giveaway table in the basement and just yesterday I threw it in the player on a lark and we really enjoyed it. My wife had no idea what is and when the folk music was playing on the menu screen she was asking what the he’ll I was going to force on her but once it got rolling we both really loved it. When Jane Lynch was telling about her Traci Lords style start in movies and her husband was just sitting there with that look on his face we were dying laughing.

So should we watch Best In Show next?

Last edited by milo bloom; 10-28-18 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-28-18, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Yes, watch Best in Show. But Waiting for Guffman is probably my favorite. For Your Consideration is probably my least favorite, but it also doesn’t use the mockumentary format.
Old 10-28-18, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 181 Posts

Best in Show is amazing
Old 10-28-18, 01:01 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Guffman is the masterpiece.
Old 10-29-18, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, 15 year thread restart...must be some kind of record.