Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars mythology question

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars mythology question

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-03, 11:45 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by DarkestPhoenix
Jango cooler than Boba? Another laugh. It's pretty sad when it takes me longer to yank it than it does for Jango to die in a battle against Mace Windu.
Oh please! The only reason that Jango got whacked by Mace is because he got ran over by a five ton elephant. He lost a gun and his backpack got busted. If it hadn't been for outside interference, Jango would have jetted away to safety.
Old 02-07-03, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by El-Kabong
Oh please! The only reason that Jango got whacked by Mace is because he got ran over by a five ton elephant. He lost a gun and his backpack got busted. If it hadn't been for outside interference, Jango would have jetted away to safety.
You mean ran away like a scared chicken?
Old 02-07-03, 11:53 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by fumanstan
Hey, even Sun Tsu knows that it's better to retreat when faced with a superior foe. You gonna argue with the wisdom of a two thousand year chinese dead guy? I didnt think so.
Old 02-07-03, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Numanoid
sandgina
Old 02-07-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Those weeeeeere wookie scalps. Now they are Jedi ponytails.
Old 02-07-03, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by El-Kabong
a few force pulls could have easily done the same as the animal in disarming jango.
Old 02-09-03, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by fumanstan
A scared chicken that still has his head!

I was thinking more of his fight against Obi Wan.
Old 02-09-03, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Lucas made some of his worst mistakes in craving to fanboydom(and I"m including Sam Jackson in that pantheon).

Because looking back from ep.4,5 and 6, Boba Fett should have emerged as a MUCH bigger deal, given his connections with the emperor. No way he languishes as a free lancing bounty hunter. This guy had upper managment written all over him. He's a clone of his dad, he'd be an ass kicker. But yet, we don't get introduced to him(or reintroduced as it were) until Episode 5. I don't buy it.

And Sam Jackson's character, who tries so hard to be "cool" is even more absurd. Wouldn't Obi-wan have mentioned his mentor and Yoda's right hand man, Mace Windu, in the discussions with Luke? It's going to be a big ol' sore thumb. Maybe we'll get the "special, special edition" with an animatronic Obi Wan and a real life Clone of Hamil, sans his scar, to tie up this loose end.

And no, I"M not a a fan boy, if this is old news, I apologize, just something that knawed at me.

As for Chewy, he's cool because of his loyatly. Loyal in every regard, to Han, to C3po(you gotta figure a droid is a heavy peace of gear to strap to your back. Everyone else exhibits moment's of wavering loyalty, but Chewy's is never, EVER called into question.
Old 02-09-03, 06:34 PM

During which conversation in Star Wars (A New Hope) would Obi Wan mention Mace Windu? Why is this a loose end? Is there some story element I'm missing that requires Luke to know about Mace Windu? Or one where the existance of Mace Windu contradicts something?
Old 02-09-03, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by The Nature Boy
I think Lucas made some of his worst mistakes in craving to fanboydom(and I"m including Sam Jackson in that pantheon).

Because looking back from ep.4,5 and 6, Boba Fett should have emerged as a MUCH bigger deal, given his connections with the emperor. No way he languishes as a free lancing bounty hunter. This guy had upper managment written all over him. He's a clone of his dad, he'd be an ass kicker. But yet, we don't get introduced to him(or reintroduced as it were) until Episode 5. I don't buy it.

And Sam Jackson's character, who tries so hard to be "cool" is even more absurd. Wouldn't Obi-wan have mentioned his mentor and Yoda's right hand man, Mace Windu, in the discussions with Luke? It's going to be a big ol' sore thumb. Maybe we'll get the "special, special edition" with an animatronic Obi Wan and a real life Clone of Hamil, sans his scar, to tie up this loose end.

And no, I"M not a a fan boy, if this is old news, I apologize, just something that knawed at me.

As for Chewy, he's cool because of his loyatly. Loyal in every regard, to Han, to C3po(you gotta figure a droid is a heavy peace of gear to strap to your back. Everyone else exhibits moment's of wavering loyalty, but Chewy's is never, EVER called into question.
I think the trouble was the fact that Lucas did prequesl instead of sequels. He had to add new characters but then people complain that there isn't any mention of them in the OT. I think it would have been much better if he would have hired some new blood to play Luke, Han and Leia in a series of sequels to the OT.
Old 02-09-03, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Terrell
Maybe! But honestly, there is nothing in any of the Star Wars films to suggest he's the character that fanboys think he is.
I disagree. While he is no where near as important as the main characters he was a mystery character that helped bridge the gap between episode 4 and 6.

Why is he unique?

1. MYSTERY. No one knew where he was from, what he looked like, or was he even human? Even the death scene is still open to interpretation by fan-boys b/c of his armor and the jetpack. Although Lucas killed him off easily b/c he knew the character was way too popular, he should have taken into account that people generally are fascinated by characters that they don't know much about.

2. He did catch Han. The Empire, including VADER, failed in doing that in Episode 4 when they were right under their noses. Also take into account that in ESB he was the only one who tracked the Mill. Falcon.

3. I don't think he was trying to slow down Luke for Vader. I think he was going in to try and collect on another bounty. Think about it. He collected from Jabba with Han, Vader for finding the Falcon on Cloud City, and giving Luke to Vader would have been three bounty's.

4. He obviously had a known reputation that was greater than the other bounty hunters. "I want them alive, no disintegrations - points at Fett".

5. He also did something no one else in the Empire did, he didn't back down to Vader. "What if he dies, he's worth a lot to me". Even the Emperor himself showed Vader more respect in ESB than Fett did.

6. Realize that any character in sci-fi with a jetpack with a rocket on top is going to be popular. Couple that with a flame thrower, Gernade Launcher, Darts, Rope thrower and people will talk a lot about him.
Old 02-09-03, 07:26 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
a few force pulls could have easily done the same as the animal in disarming jango.
Actually I think both Jango and Boba were both dorks in Ep2, wrong actors chosen if you ask me. Was glad to see that Jango got his beans from Undercover Windu
Old 02-09-03, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by caligulathegod
During which conversation in Star Wars (A New Hope) would Obi Wan mention Mace Windu? Why is this a loose end? Is there some story element I'm missing that requires Luke to know about Mace Windu? Or one where the existance of Mace Windu contradicts something?
I don't know exactly where, but Obi Wan does go into some detail about the "past", Anakin as a pilot, Yoda, etc. Mace comes across as clearly the number #2 Jedi behind Yoda, meaning he'd likely have been the highest ranking, most respected, etc. Jedi to die in the Clone Wars. Additionally, he also was a compartively friendly companion of Obi-Wan, and it strikes me, that if we were proceeding chronogically, given his build-up thus far, that he would have been mentioned along the way. Maybe not, but maybe so. I think there could have been a better delegation and division of power within the Jedi command, but that would have ran contrary Sam Jackson's star power. The Star Wars series has never been about Star Power, but it seems to be the case here.

And it doesn't exactly ruin the New Hope, but it's another example of a sloppy loose end that Lucas probably didn't think thorugh.
Old 02-09-03, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How is that a loose end? Did you want Obi-wan to go off on a biblical rant... and Jebadiah begot Yoda who begot Job who begat Mace who begat Quigon...

The mans coming back from the dead thats gotta be exhausting, how much backstory do you want him to go into? Its pretty rational hes going to give you the cliffs notes version.
Old 02-09-03, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by joltaddict
How is that a loose end? Did you want Obi-wan to go off on a biblical rant... and Jebadiah begot Yoda who begot Job who begat Mace who begat Quigon...

The mans coming back from the dead thats gotta be exhausting, how much backstory do you want him to go into? Its pretty rational hes going to give you the cliffs notes version.
The only question I'll ask, if this were filmed chronologically, would it have been mentioned?
Old 02-09-03, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Doubtful. Lucas used to use expositionary dialog sparingly. Short, what-you-need-to-know and back to the action. At least he did back when he was still making good movies.
Old 02-10-03, 02:35 PM

There is ZERO reason to ever mention Mace Windu in parts 4-6. He might be the nominal head of the Jedi order but it is not relevent to Luke what-so-ever. An argument could be made concerning Qui-Gon, but not Windu. Never does the subject of the history and structure of the Jedi Knights come up in Star Wars, not does it need to. In Empire and Jedi, Obi Wan just makes an appearance to support Yoda not give a history lesson. I mean, hell, They barely give the names of the characters they DO show. We never heard the Emperor's name until we saw Phantom Menace. We never hear Boba Fett's name until Han says it just before he knocks him into the pit. Nute Gunray doesn't get mentioned until AOTC but it's said like we are supposed to know who he is. Fact is, if it weren't for the toys we wouldn't know 90% of the character names.

Sorry to jump on this and it's nothing personal. It just seemed really silly to suggest that there is some sort of plot thread left dangling because one character is not mentioned in the original trilogy especially when it is completely irrelevent.
Old 02-10-03, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Jason
Boba Fett's mystique comes from the fact he was the first official "new" character introduced when ESB was coming out. You could mail away proof of purchases from the figures and get a free Boba Fett figure.
I actually did send in for Boba Fett, back in the day. He was advertised as coming with a working jetpack missile, but when you got him, the missile was glued in place and there was a little note which said that due to the choking hazard, the missile will not operate as advertised. Isn't a working missile worth a few deaths? You know, for the greater good? Thinking back, I'll bet that's what soured me on the whole Boba Fett coolness thing. Stupid toy-swallowing kids.
Old 02-10-03, 05:11 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Kal Jedi
What musical theme? You mean that two-note basoon passage? I'd hardly call that a theme.
So because you don't like the theme, my argument is incorrect? Whatever.

Considering that major characters like Han Solo and Chewbacca don't have their own leitmotiff, I think that Fett having a theme singles him out as something unique, I don't know what exactly, but unigue nonetheless.