Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What movie will you see this weekend (1/31-2/2)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Which of the following films will you see this weekend (Jan. 31 through Feb. 2)?
Biker Boyz
4.88%
Final Destination 2
31.71%
The Recruit
31.71%
I'm not going to see any of those!
51.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-03, 09:10 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I thought it might be fun to take a look at this week's new releases to try to get a sense of what people plan on seeing. If I get a good response, I'll try to do this every week (probably earlier in the week). So, without further ado, this week we have:

Biker Boyz -- Laurence Fishburn and Derek Luke star in a film about African American motorcyclists. Fishburn plays the established leader and Luke is the young upstart who's trying to take his place. I kind of get a Fast and the Furious vibe from this.

Final Destination 2 -- Another teen horror flick, and a sequel to boot. The premise is that when a group of teens avoid death in a highway pileup, the cosmic forces become misaligned and the universe tries to set things right by killing the teens. Sounds stupid, but it worked for the first one, right? This one seems to have an almost entirely different cast.

The Recruit -- Colin Farrell and Al Pacino star in this movie which seems part Spy Game and part Training Day (with a little Bad Company thrown in). The basic premise is that Pacino recruits Farrell to work for the CIA, but all isn't as it seems. To be honest, I haven't seen much advertisement for this one, but maybe I'm just watching the wrong shows.

Plus, there's a couple of limited or quasi-limited releases coming (The Gurus, Lost in LaMancha, probably a few I'm forgetting.)

So what will you see?
Old 01-30-03, 09:21 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I might see Rabbit Proof Fence if I get the chance.
Old 01-30-03, 09:23 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
off the list: Final Destination 2

Opening in DC: Russian Ark at the AFI (hooray!)
Divine Intervention at Visions

Tully at Visions as well.

Last edited by Giles; 01-30-03 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-30-03, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely Final Destination 2. I have heard that it is 10 times gorier than the 1st one and that the MPAA let them get away with quite a bit. I know, gore doesn't make a movie good, but apparently there are some extremely inventive and surprising deaths in this one, so I can't wait.
Old 01-30-03, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by Seantn
Definitely Final Destination 2. I have heard that it is 10 times gorier than the 1st one and that the MPAA let them get away with quite a bit. I know, gore doesn't make a movie good, but apparently there are some extremely inventive and surprising deaths in this one, so I can't wait.
Old 01-30-03, 10:11 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Nothing off that list, but Lost in La Mancha opens here this weekend.
Old 01-30-03, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Final Destination 2 -- Another teen horror flick, and a sequel to boot. The premise is that when a group of teens avoid death in a highway pileup, the cosmic forces become misaligned and the universe tries to set things right by killing the teens. Sounds stupid, but it worked for the first one, right? This one seems to have an almost entirely different cast.
You say "This one seems to have almost an entirely different cast". Why do you even point that out? 95 percent of the original cast is dead!
Old 01-30-03, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What a rancid list of movies to be released on one's birthday.

Last time my birthday was on a Friday Star Wars: SE came out.
Old 01-30-03, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by MrN
I envy you.
Old 01-30-03, 10:41 AM

I won't see anything on the above list. But there is quite a platter of films available this weekend:

A week-long revival of Buñuel's Phantom of Liberty is my most anticipated release. I plan to catch this more than once.

A Tarkovsky retrospective begins. Featured this weekend are My Name is Ivan and The Mirror.

I am very eager to see Russian Ark again.

Also opening are Morvern Callar and from Korea, The Isle. And if I get a chance, there's The Way Home.

I probably won't get to all these over the weekend (but it's been known to happen). It's actually my "to-see" list through next Thursday.
Old 01-30-03, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by sundog
I won't see anything on the above list. But there is quite a platter of films available this weekend:

A week-long revival of Buñuel's Phantom of Liberty is my most anticipated release. I plan to catch this more than once.

A Tarkovsky retrospective begins. Featured this weekend are My Name is Ivan and The Mirror.

I am very eager to see Russian Ark again.

Also opening are Morvern Callar and from Korea, The Isle. And if I get a chance, there's The Way Home.

I probably won't get to all these over the weekend (but it's been known to happen). It's actually my "to-see" list through next Thursday.
I highly recommend The Way Home it is such a wonderful small quiet film.
Old 01-30-03, 11:11 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
You say "This one seems to have almost an entirely different cast". Why do you even point that out? 95 percent of the original cast is dead!
Well, I didn't see the first one, so I sort of assumed that some of them survived. I should have known better -- nobody survives a horror flick!
Old 01-30-03, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am taking my GF to see Final Destination, I liked the first one alot, and want to see the second. She's tryin to get me to see Chicago, but i have ZERO desire to see that movie.
Old 01-30-03, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by Giles
I highly recommend The Way Home it is such a wonderful small quiet film.
Good, then I'm definitely on it. Fortunately, it should be around for more than just a few weeks so I can wait for an opportune time.

And if I could change it, I'd throw a vote to The Recruit. It may well end up as a time-killer tomorrow between work and a later engagement in the same area.

P.S. and off topic: Giles, did you get my response to your e-mail a few weeks ago? I was hoping you'd let me know what you thought of that film.
Old 01-30-03, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Definitely going to see Final Destination 2, then 2nd choice The Recruit. Therefore:
Friday -> Final Destination 2
Saturday -> The Recruit
Sunday -> City of God
Monday or Tuesday -> Biker Boyz
More movies to update my Rate Them as You See Them 2003 Thread
Old 01-30-03, 11:56 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Hope to see both Final Destination 2 and The Recruit.
Old 01-30-03, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by MrN
Same for me... I'll be seeing Man of La Mancha Saturday and hopefully Confessions of a Dangerous Mind on Sunday.

Can't wait for Man of La Mancha.
Old 01-30-03, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll be seeing most of these tomorrow....

Friday:

The Guru
Final Destination 2
The Recruit

and I'll check out Biker Boys on Sunday if I get a chance...

MATT
Old 01-30-03, 04:01 PM

I'm taking the day off to see "The Recruit" Friday. Al Pacino and Colin Farrell. Will also fit in "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind" if I can.

May also see "Talk to Her", "Food of Love".
Old 01-30-03, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
I will never see any of these. Ever. Even on TBS in 5 years, no.
Old 01-30-03, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hopefully going to check out The Recruit, Final Destination 2, and Confessions of a Dangerous Mind.
Old 01-30-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Just watched this a little while ago and I must say this one has some gore drenched effects. If you didn't like the first one you won't like this one since it's basically the same story again but they do it tie it together nicely. If you haven't seen the first one there is enough "set-up" at the begining that you could probably follow along.

I must say BEST DEATHS EVER!
Old 01-30-03, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Hell, I'm still waiting on my theatre to start playing "Adaptation", "25th Hour", and "Narc".

Anyway, for this weekend definitely "Final Destination 2" and possibly "Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind".
Old 01-30-03, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rabbit Proof Fence just opened here, so that's what I'm doing
Old 01-31-03, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

1) Final Destination 2
2) The Recruit

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.