Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Bend It Like Beckham

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Bend It Like Beckham

Old 01-29-03, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bend It Like Beckham

Since I've been watching my r2 DVD for weeks now, I thought some of the Americans in the house might like to know that Bend It Like Beckham,a very well-done british comedy, will be hitting the American cinemas in March.

It's really, really good and I guarantee that I'm bringing someone to see it on the big screen.

Basic plot; a soccer-mad english girl from a punjabi family starts playing for a local team, despite her family's strong objections to such unladylike things. She's played by Parminder Nagra, a young actor with excellent comic timing; I'm sure she'll go far.

The real reason I imported the DVD, of course, is the one and only Keira Knightley. I figure I should be familiar with her work if we're to have a successful marriage.

So, lads, if your woman wants to see a film and you want to see something more than your average chick flick, check it out... you won't be disappointed. If you are... well, I dunno, you mustn't have a soul. It's rare to have a feel-good comedy that isn't drenched in sentimentality.

For those ladies in the house... John Rhys Myers. I hope you like Irish accents...

PS - the titular Beckham, for the uninformed, is english soccer star David Beckham. If this was an American film, I imagine it would be "Throw It Like Favre".
Old 01-29-03, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Bend It Like Beckham

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
For those ladies in the house... John Rhys Myers. I hope you like Irish accents...

[/B]
I've been waiting solely to see Jonathan.
Old 01-29-03, 01:51 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am up for seeing this. I help out on buying the dvd so I could wait for the release, the trailer looks fun
Old 01-29-03, 02:34 PM

have had the R2 disc since it was released in November of 2002. It's very enjoyable, but not very deep. A general crowd pleaser. I was expecting more, but found it fun nonetheless.
Old 01-29-03, 06:11 PM
Cool New Member

Different opinion

I couldn't disagree more
I bought the region 4 DVD of this and expected it to be a fun comedy.
I thought it was VERY cliched, seen it all before, amatuer garbage
Just my thoughts :-)
Old 01-29-03, 11:38 PM

I saw this when I lived back in England and thought it was complete crap. If you want a good football comedy get Mike Bassett: England Manager which revolves around World Cup 2002 from www.amazon.co.uk.
Now that is hilarious.
Old 01-30-03, 12:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You know, this is the sort of movie I'd love to rent, since I like football a lot and it looks like fun. Sadly, there's pretty much zero chance I'll ever be able to rent this film, or Mike Bassett: England Manager for that matter. So, either I buy the damn thing just to watch it the one time, or never see it at all...

Kinda sucks, doesn't it?
Old 01-30-03, 01:57 PM

I loved this movie.
But I do not think it is easy to get if you do not have a minimum of British culture and a minimum of knowledge of the British way of life.

And BTW the movie has little to do with soccer.
Old 01-30-03, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

yeah, i own Mike Bassett too. I brefer BILB.

The sad thing is, I'm sure the american release will be overdubbed and edited to make it more "accessible".