Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Office Space Ripoff in Superbowl ad

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Office Space Ripoff in Superbowl ad

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-03, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
That's funny, I LOVED the commercial, and having them reference Office Space actually sealed the deal as the best commercial easily of this Superbowl for me.
Old 01-28-03, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to ask Pants, Are you joking?

Seriously, People loved the commercial because they are playing on the "TPS reports" comedy from office space. Just because Tate didn't stop mid commercial and give praise to Office space bluntly, doesn't mean the ad is a direct rip off.

I really have to wonder about you Pants. It seems you really can't see a joke when it's their.

and for the honor of the ad. here's the commercial to download..

Terry Tate Long
Old 01-28-03, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wasn't the FedEx "Castaway" thing an Easter egg from the DVD (not the commercial itself, but a bit with Zemeckis revealing what was in the package - satellite phone, etc.)? That's a much bigger ripoff than the TPS reports thing.

And the "Office Lineman" commercial was way better than the FedEx one (a little outdated, I thought).

However, I thought the Osbournes Pepsi commercial was one of the best ones.
Old 01-28-03, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
uh... How could the FedEX commercial be a rip off of Castaway when FedEX was Castaway. They were playing on that concept and joke that Zemeckis made and making a joke on it.

A company can't rip itself off..
Old 01-28-03, 01:17 AM

OK, maybe it wasn't a "ripoff", but it was lame and outdated.
Old 01-28-03, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I loved it. The solitaire-playing dude LOL. Better keep my eyes open at work!
Old 01-28-03, 11:24 AM
Banned

I "get" the joke. I just see it as a totally unhip corportation trying to look hip by associating itself with a great film. I guarentee that whatever company that was an ad for is more like Initec than anything else: a souless, boring place. They think they are going to spice up their image and win over viewers by referencing a movie that is popular among office workers. We're supposed to like the company because "they like Office Space too!" Well, I don't really think they're cool (I'm much cooler than they are ), and I don't care if they like Office Space. Them likeing Office Space makes Office Space suck.

If Marriott made a commercial that was 30 seconds where every shot was an homage to THE SHINING, would I get the joke? YES. Would I think they were cool because they associated themselves with my favorite director? HELL NO. They don't love The Shining, they're just co-opting it to sell a product.

Why should I have to change my name? He's the one who sucks.

Last edited by Pants; 01-28-03 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-28-03, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Office Space made, what, eight bucks at the box office? Sure it's gotten bigger on video and DVD, but most of America still wouldn't get "Office Space" references.

Ad Exec: "For our new campaign, let's hope that associating ourselves with a flop of a movie will boost our public awareness."

AE2: "Great, how about 'Bud Light, it's better than Ishtar!'"

AE!: "No, not hip enough, keep trying."
Old 01-28-03, 12:42 PM
Banned

Originally posted by majorjoe23
Office Space made, what, eight bucks at the box office? Sure it's gotten bigger on video and DVD, but most of America still wouldn't get "Office Space" references.

Ad Exec: "For our new campaign, let's hope that associating ourselves with a flop of a movie will boost our public awareness."

AE2: "Great, how about 'Bud Light, it's better than Ishtar!'"

AE!: "No, not hip enough, keep trying."
Well, they did it. What can I say.
Old 01-28-03, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally posted by Pants
I just see it as a totally unhip corportation trying to look hip by associating itself with a great film. I guarentee that whatever company that was an ad for is more like Initec than anything else: a souless, boring place.
the ad was for reebok. the linebacker was the part central to the commercial, not the office.

did you even watch the commerical? or maybe you missed it cause you went on this same rant to your friends watching the game when you heard "TPS reports."
Old 01-28-03, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

That ad was awesome!! Go drink another beer
Old 01-28-03, 01:46 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Big Boy Laroux

did you even watch the commerical?
Not too closely obviously, I hate commercials, even moreso when they pander.
Old 01-28-03, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I tivo'd the game and i wish there was a way i could have just saved that one commericial(i knew i should have kept at least one vcr in the house).
None of the guys i watched it in knew about OFFice Space so i let them in on the joke.
Old 01-28-03, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Personally, I was more offended by the Budweiser/Clown Suit commercial. I thought it was a blatant rip-off of the classic film "Big Top Pee-Wee" - which features clowns as a main plot point.

I just couldn't bring myself to find that commercial funny at all after the bitter slap in the face to Pee-Wee fans everywhere.
Old 01-28-03, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here are some other commercials with "blatant" ripoffs during the Superbowl:

That commercial where they rip off Kermit the Frog and his rainbow song.

That commercial where they rip off Terminator 1 and Terminator 2 by playing the same music (I think it was an ad for Tough Actin' Tenactin).

That commercial where The Practice rips off a Miller Lite commercial.

That commercial that rips off the movie Speed, except that it used a big tanker truck instead.

That commercial that rips off Scary Movie, except that it used a water hydrant, a dog, and a black guy instead.

That commercial that rips off 2001 with the monkeys learnin' things.

That commercial that rips off Jumanji, except it used buffalo and two idiots with jeans on (I think it was a PETA commercial or something).
Old 01-28-03, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This year's entire Superbowl was such a rip-off of last year's Superbowl. I mean WTF? They both had guys playing football! I think I speak for everyone when I say we're all getting pretty tired of the Superbowl pandering to football fans by filling it with so much football. Let's try something new, guys.
Old 01-28-03, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not too closely obviously, I hate commercials, even moreso when they pander.
That's the JOB of a commercial. Personally I don't care what the Ad execs were thinking when they quoted Office Space, but I appreciate the fact that they made an original and funny commercial. For that fact alone, I feel like giving Reebok business. I don't hate commercials, only boring ones.
Old 01-29-03, 02:45 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Them likeing Office Space makes Office Space suck.

Old 01-29-03, 11:12 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Shilex

That commercial that rips off 2001 with the monkeys learnin' things.
That's a good example too. So totally loathsome. So completely dispicable. Do you think the people at Sierra Mist give two sihts about 2001? They are co-opting art that they clearly don't have any respect for to sell their stupid fcking drink. The media marginalizes great directors, but they don't have any trouble absorbing their contributions into the zeitgeist and spitting out an ugly immitation all in the name of selling a product.

The same media that marginalized Welles and forced him into exile, now celebrate his work in circle jerk 10 Best Lists that cut his films into easily digestable 10 second clips. When was the last time a Welles film was shown on network TV? Never! They push him out when it's convenient, they celebrate him when it's convenient, and they rip him off when it's convenient.
Old 01-29-03, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison!
Old 01-29-03, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's a good example too. So totally loathsome. So completely dispicable. Do you think the people at Sierra Mist give two sihts about 2001? They are co-opting art that they clearly don't have any respect for to sell their stupid fcking drink. The media marginalizes great directors, but they don't have any trouble absorbing their contributions into the zeitgeist and spitting out an ugly immitation all in the name of selling a product.

The same media that marginalized Welles and forced him into exile, now celebrate his work in circle jerk 10 Best Lists that cut his films into easily digestable 10 second clips. When was the last time a Welles film was shown on network TV? Never! They push him out when it's convenient, they celebrate him when it's convenient, and they rip him off when it's convenient.
I don't know if you have heard, but they can do wonderful things with drugs nowadays for people in your condition.
Old 01-29-03, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Lighten up and have some fun.
I think that pretty much sums things up.

That commercial was hilarious.
Old 01-29-03, 02:46 PM
Banned

When did I say that? Doesn't sound like me
Old 01-30-03, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

nope sure doesn't. it's to positive for pants to say that. If you dislike commercials so much why don't you please send a check or money order to your local tv station so that they could be funded by you and not advertising dollars.
Old 01-30-03, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I enjoyed the commercial more than Office Space itself.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.