Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Hate the Die Another Day theme? You're not alone: so does the Composer!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-26-03, 01:37 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found this over on Filmtracks.com

British pop icon Elton John has joined composer David Arnold in harsh criticism of Madonna's title song for the newest James Bond film, Die Another Day. British journalists have been collecting this negative feedback from well known musicians since the British newspaper Sunday Express broke a story two weeks ago about David Arnold's disgust with Madonna's title song. Arnold described it as "The worst Bond song ever" and stressed that he broke Bond-score norms by refusing to use any of her "tune-less" composition in his score. "Madonna had no place in my musical world for Bond," said Arnold. "She has endured stinging criticism but no-one has criticised me for not working her song into the film score. She got three minutes, I got 92." He continued by addressing the absence of the song as adaptation in the score, stating: "Ideally, I would have liked to make some musical sense of her song... but I couldn't." The newest bashing of the song comes from Elton John, who publicly denounced Madonna's talents in the same newspaper and added that the producers of the film "should have gone for somebody like Lulu and Shirley Bassey, or maybe I'm in that league." Instead, Madonna's song "hasn't got a tune," Elton John said. "James Bond themes are usually very camp and this one's different. It is the worst Bond tune of all time." Speculation in London has also indicated that when Prince Philip heard that Madonna would be writing and performing the Bond song, he responded, "Are we going to need ear plugs?"
Ouch - I had no idea. . . .

Last edited by El-Kabong; 01-26-03 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-26-03, 02:25 PM
Banned

I love Bond themes and I enjoy Madonna too but this song did stink. It was horrible and not worth listening to again.
Old 01-26-03, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Whenever I hear Die Another Day, I just wanna go into a seisure.

Its the only Bond song I can't even listen to. And I like all of them.
Old 01-26-03, 02:35 PM
Banned

Originally posted by cooper2000
I love Bond themes and I enjoy Madonna too but this song did stink. It was horrible and not worth listening to again.
Old 01-26-03, 02:52 PM

I personally like the song, it has a good beat, it may not fit that well with the other bond tunes, but i think it fits well with this movie. Also it just reflects that this movie like all others are trying to grab the kids to come see them. Rock and techno and action is what the studios are pusing to get more of the younger demos to support their flicks (xXx, Charlie's Angels 2, Kangaroo Jack, that kinda thing)

I think it was actually pretty smart to use Madonna, and they got a good song out of it, the bad thing is, next time we may see B2K doing the theme...
Old 01-26-03, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Actually, this is the only Bond theme I have ever cared for (with the possible exception of the Garbage one.) But I always thought the Bond themes generally suck and never understood how some people held such songs as "For Your Eyes Only" and "View to A Kill," and "Nobody Does it Better," not to mention that horrible song that was done for "Goldeneye."
Old 01-26-03, 07:58 PM
Banned

For your Eyes only is one of the greatest Bond songs of all time. It fits the movie perfectly.
Old 01-26-03, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by Scot1458
For your Eyes only is one of the greatest Bond songs of all time. It fits the movie perfectly.
See, that's my point. As much of some people hate the Madonna song, I feel the exact same way about "For Your Eyes Only." To each his own I guess.
Old 01-26-03, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There's a reason Madonna doesn't normally write her own music...she almost always has a co-writer, who, I suspect, does most, if not all, of the actual writing. This song should prove to her, and the world, that she was correct in doing so.

Worst. Song. Ever.

Unfortunately, thanks to the Madonna machine, there was no chance that it wouldn't be crammed down our throats and be a "hit".
Old 01-27-03, 12:56 AM

The song isn't even that memorable. The lyrics are so piss poor.
Old 01-27-03, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I didn't think it was that bad, but they should've chosen Allison Goldfrapp.
Old 01-27-03, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was a nice song....for me to torture my enemies with.

Glad someone else agreed that the song was a crappy song in general.
Old 01-27-03, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well the BIGGEST error was omitting the classic brass/trumpet flourishes that have practically become a REQUIREMENT for the title song to a Bond film.

This song was as gastly as the movie IMHO. The director was just as bad as the song. Since when does the Bond opening credits actually contain plot development? LAME.

BTW - the closing credits tune to Tomorrow Never Dies, "Surrender" by k.d. lang, is one of the best Bond tunes EVER. How did it get beaten out by that Sheryl Crow song? Oh and Goldeneye has one of the BEST opening credit sequences EVER!

Last edited by rfduncan; 01-27-03 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-27-03, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dear Lord, deliver us from Bond mishandling.

And by Lord, in this case, I mean Tony Scott.
Old 01-27-03, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I like the song..
Old 01-27-03, 11:30 AM

When the Madonna song started in the theater, I thought that the sound system was acting up ....
Old 01-27-03, 01:06 PM

The "melody" and Madonna's mechanized "voice" are just too poor for words, but what's most offensive about it is its direct contradiction with common Bond themes, not just theme songs. According to Madonna's it's about "destroying your ego". HELLO! Bond is all about ego, b*tch!

I'm sorry, but I just can't express my disgust at Madonna's pretentiousness enough. Why, oh why, did they hire her?
Old 01-27-03, 02:04 PM

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Originally posted by silentbob007
When the Madonna song started in the theater, I thought that the sound system was acting up ....
Old 01-27-03, 02:11 PM
Banned

Not only do I hate the song, I hate the movie too. Near the bottom of all time bad Bonds.
Old 01-27-03, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

JESUS CHRIST that song ****ing sucks.

Lol, just joking. It was actually ok, Madonna is usually very good. no, not really. Honestly it wasn't even music. Well, it sounded like something a retard could spasmically create on eJay.
That song is so bad. So bad Awful. Horrible. Terrible. Pathetic.

It sucks ASS! I hate it. **** it, **** that god awful song.
Old 01-27-03, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't ike the song either. It's in the league of N sync's "Pop" song and Britney Spear's "I'm a Slave For You" Absolutely horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-27-03, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

why am I the only person in the world who enjoys the song? It even drove me nuts that the beat wasn;t used in the score at all.
Old 01-27-03, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hated it. Not just the worst Bond song ever. It's actually one of the worst songs ever.
Old 01-27-03, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I knew it was a mistake to hire Madonna in any capacity. As the cries of pain came in when the song hit radio, I couldn't help saying that hateful phrase "I told you so."
Old 01-27-03, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by Rizor
I didn't ike the song either. It's in the league of N sync's "Pop" song and Britney Spear's "I'm a Slave For You" Absolutely horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe that explains why I like the Madonna song. I don't like that N'Sync song, but I always liked Britney's "I'm a Slave For You," but then again I think that's more because of the imagery that song creates more than anything else.

And for the record, I hate Madonna, despise her prententious ass, but this song just kinda worked for me.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.