Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Maya Deren - Godmother of experimental and avant-garde cinema

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-03, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The revival of this beautiful and extraordinary woman's art is nigh upon us. There is a (supposedly) excellent docu about her now in very limited distribution, which I hope to soon get a chance to see:

http://www.zeitgeistfilms.com/curren...mayaderen.html

Her collection of short films with some previously unseen extras is now available at this site (there is also a clip of her best-known film there you can watch in QT):

http://www.mysticfire.com

For any of you even mildly interested in "Film as Art," I cannot recommend Maya Deren's work highly enough. Her first film Meshes in the Afternoon by itself is never forgotten once seen.
Old 01-24-03, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

There is a good review / article in today's NY Times on this -- I would link it, but you have to register with the site (it's located in the Current Film Reviews section). This was a welcome surprise, as I had not heard anything about it until this morning -- looks like a trip to Gotham proper is in order as it's playing at the Anthology Film Archives in the Village.

I also strongly second Jepthah's recommendation -- her films are extraordinary, and will hopefully be afforded a wider audience with the Mystic Fire release. Plus, if Criterion's by Brakhage takes off (and I suspect it just might), perhaps it will increase the scope of curiosity for other avant garde champs such as Anger, etc.
Old 01-24-03, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool! I been waiting for someone to put some of her stuff out so I could give it a whirl. All I know about her came from the liners of a John Zorn cd.
Old 01-24-03, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My Maya Deren vhs is one of the very very few vhs I still own. Now where is the damn dvd?

I really REALLY want Maya Deren's stuff on dvd. And some Kenneth Anger would be great too!

I am still giddy that Criterion is doing that Brakhage dvd. Never thought that would happen so I do have hope for other experimental filmmakers' films to show up on dvd sometime.
Old 01-26-03, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by garmonbozia
My Maya Deren vhs is one of the very very few vhs I still own. Now where is the damn dvd?

I really REALLY want Maya Deren's stuff on dvd.

nevermind, I guess. I just stumbled upon this thread: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=251935

I had no idea there was already a dvd!!! This is great!