Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Interesting connection: Ronin/Three Days of the Condor

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-03, 04:26 AM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished watching 3 Days of the Condor (which is still a great movie, though the ending is a bit dated), but I saw something that I thought was very interesting.

The assassin played by Max von Sydow has a scene where he's meticulously painting little figurines that look like soldiers from the 18th century or something.

In Ronin, when DeNiro's character is taken to the old man's house for surgery for his wound, the old man is doing the same thing only with Japanese samurai.

Both men seem to be French too, and have similar sounding names, (Condor: Joubert; Ronin: Jean-Pierre), they both have gray hair and facial hair too. There's also a sense of this older character trying to give advice to the lead character. It's almost like the Sydow character has shown up in Ronin in his retirement.

That's either an amazing coincidence or some kind of homage on the part of Ronin. (I just rechecked the commentary on Ronin and there's no mention of Condor, and the director talks about personal and thematic reasons for having a model maker in the film).

Nothing earthshaking, just kind of cool.

Last edited by Blade; 01-24-03 at 04:29 AM.
Old 01-24-03, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice catch. Condor is one of my faves from the '70s.