Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Signs: had to suspend disbelief way too much

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-23-03, 07:51 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spoiler Alert.... Spoiler Alert..... You have been warned.

Ok, just watched Signs on DVD, and I loved the first half. Shyamalan is a great filmaker, and I was along for the ride. However the last half was just awful. While I know that you have to suspend disbelief for this kind of movie, I had a hard time in this one. While the idea of an alien invasion is far fetched anyway, movies still have to have some sort of internal logic.

My biggest problem?

Spoiler:
Why the hell couldn't the aliens break into their house? They can fly 5 billion miles and conquer the world, but they are stopped by a frigging door? Made no sense whatsover. Then one of the aliens tries to grab the son through the coal chute grate, and they pile a few bags in front of it and then ignore it from then on? Don't you think you would be a little more cautious about that? Finally, they are wandering around their house, without any weapons! I am not a gun lover, but at least grab the stinking baseball bat to defend yourself!!!

The other problem I had was the worldwide news reports on TV. They were done awfully. They were incredibly cheezy.

Anyway, Shyamalan is a great director, he just seemed to fall off the boat at the end. I was very disappointed.
Old 01-23-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=223312
Old 01-23-03, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I really have to suspend disbelief for this thread. For instance, why would someone start out with "Spoiler Alert.... Spoiler Alert..... You have been warned." only to go on and put everything in spoiler tags? It defies logic.

I'll play along though:
Spoiler:
Why the hell couldn't the aliens break into their house? They can fly 5 billion miles and conquer the world, but they are stopped by a frigging door?
Where did you get your information? We're never told how far they "flew"...maybe they're Moon-men, who knows. More importantly, they DIDN'T conquer the world. In fact, they proved to be quite bumbling in that regard. Why do you assume aliens have to be all-powerful? Maybe they were a renegade group of computer-nerd aliens who are really into technology but get their a$$es kicked in dodgeball. It's never explained, so why make assumptions?

Then one of the aliens tries to grab the son through the coal chute grate, and they pile a few bags in front of it and then ignore it from then on? Don't you think you would be a little more cautious about that?
If they can't get through a simple door, why should they be afraid of one behind a coal chute door and some boxes. The logic flows sensibly here, IMO.

Finally, they are wandering around their house, without any weapons! I am not a gun lover, but at least grab the stinking baseball bat to defend yourself!!!
This is a minister's family here, not a bunch of redneck hunters. Probably no weapons in the house, and they made do with what was available.

Furthermore, the whole point of the story is about faith, the aliens are secondary. What Hitchcock would have called "The McGuffin"...something which on the surface seems to be the point of the movie, but actually only serves a greater story, which lies elsewhere and often deeper.
Old 01-23-03, 09:12 PM

Furthermore, the whole point of the story is about faith, the aliens are secondary.
And that is exactly why I didn't like the film.
Old 01-23-03, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I was thrown out of it when we find out
Spoiler:
Water is the alien's weakness
You figure at a damn farm their would be Dew in the air to say the least in the morning.. why aren't the aliens withering in pain at all times?
Old 01-23-03, 10:08 PM

Every single post that complains about the logic in this movie someone always says how stupid it is that water is the aliens weakness. I agree that that would be pretty dumb.

I am suprised no one else has ever mentioned this, but I don't think the water is actually what hurts them.

Throughout the movie Bo complains about the taste of the water. She says its contaminated, that it tastes funny. Ofcourse her family just thinks its a nervous tick, but I have always believed that she actually had really sensitive taste buds and really did sense something chemical or unnatural in the water supply. This theory would make alot more sense than the idea that just pure water hurts them.

So that is my take on it, that something in the water rather than the water itself is what actually hurts them.

What do you think?
Old 01-23-03, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Numanoid
I really have to suspend disbelief for this thread. For instance, why would someone start out with "Spoiler Alert.... Spoiler Alert..... You have been warned." only to go on and put everything in spoiler tags? It defies logic.

I'll play along though:
Spoiler:

Where did you get your information? We're never told how far they "flew"...maybe they're Moon-men, who knows. More importantly, they DIDN'T conquer the world. In fact, they proved to be quite bumbling in that regard. Why do you assume aliens have to be all-powerful? Maybe they were a renegade group of computer-nerd aliens who are really into technology but get their a$$es kicked in dodgeball. It's never explained, so why make assumptions?

If they can't get through a simple door, why should they be afraid of one behind a coal chute door and some boxes. The logic flows sensibly here, IMO.

This is a minister's family here, not a bunch of redneck hunters. Probably no weapons in the house, and they made do with what was available.

Furthermore, the whole point of the story is about faith, the aliens are secondary. What Hitchcock would have called "The McGuffin"...something which on the surface seems to be the point of the movie, but actually only serves a greater story, which lies elsewhere and often deeper.
Please bring some of your insight to the Signs vs. The Ring thread. Its me against the world in there.
Old 01-23-03, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You guys are really gonna make the mods merge ANOTHER signs thread?
Old 01-23-03, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by cortan
Every single post that complains about the logic in this movie someone always says how stupid it is that water is the aliens weakness. I agree that that would be pretty dumb.

I am suprised no one else has ever mentioned this, but I don't think the water is actually what hurts them.

Throughout the movie Bo complains about the taste of the water. She says its contaminated, that it tastes funny. Ofcourse her family just thinks its a nervous tick, but I have always believed that she actually had really sensitive taste buds and really did sense something chemical or unnatural in the water supply. This theory would make alot more sense than the idea that just pure water hurts them.

So that is my take on it, that something in the water rather than the water itself is what actually hurts them.

What do you think?
My problem with this theory is that it is way to far fetch. You have to first assume that some agancy had knowledge of the aliens coming and knew the weakness. The aliens didn't digest the water. they were burned by it on touch. I don't know. I just felt that the water issue was a way to cop out and get a quick resultion to it all.
Old 01-23-03, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What if hydrogen peroxide was in the water? Its only in water that is treated a.k.a. tap water. Not in condensation. If that hurt or killed them its then its not so far fetched anymore?!?!?! IS IT?!?!?! HA HA HA HA........sorry.
Old 01-23-03, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
What if hydrogen peroxide was in the water? Its only in water that is treated a.k.a. tap water. Not in condensation. If that hurt or killed them its then its not so far fetched anymore?!?!?! IS IT?!?!?! HA HA HA HA........sorry.
That is exactly what I am refering to. Something in the water; like a chemical that treats it, or somekind of deposits or contaminents such that sometimes are found in unfiltered water such as lead, copper, mercury, cadmium, benzene, toluene, zinc, chlorine, or even tetrachloroethylene.

All these elements are listed as things that are filtered out by Brita filtration systems. Anyone of these things could have been present in trace amounts that wouldn't hurt humans, but could be like kryptonite to the aliens.

Or maybe its weak writting and it is just the water
Old 01-23-03, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

You have to think about this... the water trick was not discovered by the U.S. so the U.S. wouldn't have put chemicals in the water, if I remember correctly, the water weakness was discovered by third world countries.. Doubt they have many chemicals to put in the water.. DON'T YOU THINK!!!!?!?!?!?!?! HA HA HA HAHA HAHA HAHA... why did I just do that?
Old 01-23-03, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by joltaddict
You guys are really gonna make the mods merge ANOTHER signs thread?
Nope.