Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jackie Chan: Sometimes I Use A Stunt Double

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-21-03, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.nbc4.tv/entertainment/192...101212003&ts=H

Chan Says Director, Studio Officials Call Shots

POSTED: 8:47 a.m. EST January 21, 2003

HONG KONG -- Actor Jackie Chan is acknowledging it isn't always him in those daredevil stunts.

He's started using some doubles.

Chan says he'll use a stand-in "to ride an F-16 jet fighter, or to jump over a series of hurdles with a crazy horse, or to perform two 720-degree somersaults."

But he says if it's just one somersault, he can do it himself.

A recent story in a Chinese newspaper said the 48-year-old actor used at least seven stunt doubles in the movie, "The Tuxedo."

The paper quoted Chan as saying it wasn't his decision and the director and studio officials "call the shots."

Oh great, next you're going to tell me that there's no Santa!

Chris
Old 01-21-03, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

He is a bit long in the tooth now.
Old 01-21-03, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

720 degree somersault?? I don't think I can do a 360 degree somersault (more like 180 with me landing on my ass).
Old 01-21-03, 12:53 PM
Banned

It's sad to see that he's too old to do his own stunts, but if that's the case then it's time for him to say goodbye.

He isn't a good actor, and has very little chemistry with other actors, his only claim to fame is that he did all his own stunts and they were amazing. If he's not doing them himself anymore then there is nothing there.
Old 01-21-03, 01:09 PM

nuff said
Old 01-21-03, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Come on... Chan is very charming and funny. He's not a verbal comedian, but he rivals even Bruce "God" Campbell in the field of physical comedy.
Old 01-21-03, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Pants
It's sad to see that he's too old to do his own stunts, but if that's the case then it's time for him to say goodbye.

He isn't a good actor, and has very little chemistry with other actors, his only claim to fame is that he did all his own stunts and they were amazing. If he's not doing them himself anymore then there is nothing there.
So what if he's not doing ALL of his own stunts. Most actors don't do any of their stunts.

He has great chemistry with Owen Wilson and decent chemistry with Chris Tucker in the Rush Hour series.
Old 01-21-03, 02:15 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Tarantino
So what if he's not doing ALL of his own stunts. Most actors don't do any of their stunts.
So in other words, now there is no difference between what he does and, say, Wesley Snipes. If he doesn't have that distinction of doing all his own stunts he's got nothing to differentiate himself from other actors.
Old 01-21-03, 02:45 PM

Is that really what you think? Well, I'm speechless. Chan's American films may be more generic, but all you need is one look at films like Drunken Master II, Snake In The Eagle's Shadow or The Young Master to see how one-of-a-kind he is.
Old 01-21-03, 04:55 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd like to ad that it was made clear that he had no control over the use of stunt-doubles in that movie. If he'd had his way it would've been him doing all those stunts. I'm fairly certain it was the studio/director/insurance company that made the decision to pull him out of potentially dangerous stunts and to use a double.

He's still the same old Jackie (just 48 yrs. old now!).

-BT
Old 01-21-03, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
You know, regardless if Chan can do his own stunts or not, he should have a career. The fact that he could NOT get any insurance because he did his own stunts would have made anyone second guess if they should put their life on the line for a few seconds of a film.

Frankly, the fact that he does a majority of his own stunts still is something to show.

Pants, what your saying is once an actor loses their gimmick they should just call it quits? He's still a box office draw regardless if he does his own stunts and frankly, I thought the whole "wow, he's doing his own stunts!" gimmick died a long time ago. People see him to see the Asian man try to talk english with a comic side kick. He still has a difference between any other actor. He has his accent, he has his look. He still has a large amount of "star power" and pull in the industry and I don't see him doing 1-800-collect commercials anytime soon.

Pants, if you feel different because he doesn't do the insane stunts anymore, stop watching the films then. simple as that.
Old 01-21-03, 05:26 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
Is that really what you think? Well, I'm speechless. Chan's American films may be more generic, but all you need is one look at films like Drunken Master II, Snake In The Eagle's Shadow or The Young Master to see how one-of-a-kind he is.
Yes it's really what I think. what's so confusing here? All the films you named have brilliant stunt work and are some of his greatest films. But the "hook" to Jackie Chan has always been that he does all his own stunts. Now that he doesn't do all his own stunts I think it robs him of his mystique. It doesn't make his past triumphs bad (I still find them amazing), it just makes his new films stink.
He's still a box office draw regardless if he does his own stunts
I just don't think this is true. Only time will tell. I CAN say that while he may be bigger than ever with mainstream audiences, his biggest fans will probably feel cheated that he doesn't do what he used to. I also have to take this oportunity to say that I think he is an atrocious actor in cantonese and is even worse in english. If he weren't kicking people I would never see one of his films. If he were staring in a buddy comedy that had no stunts, I wouldn't see it in a million years, I don't think anyone else would either. Jackie is a physical comedian/stuntman like Buster Keaton. I don't think anyone would want to see Buster Keaton in a screwball comedy.
Old 01-21-03, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Jackie Chan: Sometimes I Use A Stunt Double

Originally posted by mrpayroll
The paper quoted Chan as saying it wasn't his decision and the director and studio officials "call the shots."
Sounds like this applies more towards US films where there's no way Chan could get insured for the films. In HK, I'm sure Chan can do almost anything he wants. The only thing i can see stopping him from doing his own stunts in HK films is if he already has a US film lined up after it.
Old 01-21-03, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's called charisma and Jackie has it in spades. That's what makes stars. It's not the best acting ability or the best kung fu ability (Jackie is hardly the best fighter to ever work in HK) or whatever. It's charisma.

Don't get me wrong, his fame is based heavily on action, so he has to always at least deliver that. But as long as he does SOME physical work and the movie is entertaining overall, then I think he has many years left ahead of him.

And I would imagine a "hardcore fan" would have noticed that his action scenes have been moving back to the kung fu fights that made him famous. Personally I am not very impressed with big stunts anymore, especially in this post-M:I2 age where anyone can look 100% convincing doing stunts. But a really intricate kung fu fight performed well is a thing of beauty and no actor with 3 months of training will ever be able pull it off in the same way.

Seeing how Lar Kar Leung moved in Drunken Master 2, I would imagine Jackie can be performing action for years. But anyway, he's already transitioning to films that are more than just a collection of his stunts/fights and in my opinion they're mostly pretty good!

Having said that, I wouldn't mind seeing Jackie do a Crime Story-like film again. I like his pissed off serious face.
Old 01-22-03, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Jackie Chan: Sometimes I Use A Stunt Double

Originally posted by devilshalo
Sounds like this applies more towards US films where there's no way Chan could get insured for the films. In HK, I'm sure Chan can do almost anything he wants. The only thing i can see stopping him from doing his own stunts in HK films is if he already has a US film lined up after it.
That's exactly it. Chan has said for years U.S. studios and insurance agencies won't permit him to do the most dangerous stuff. That's not the case for his HK films.
Old 01-22-03, 09:42 AM

I'm a HUGE Jackie Chan fan from WAY back and, while I hate to burst anyone's bubble, the whole "No Stuntman" gimmick was created with the US release of Rumble in the Bronx.

Jackie has always done MOST of his stunts but he wants to release a good movie, not a video of himself trying to do stunts. If he can't do it, or if somebody can do it better (which I admit is a rarity) he'll use the double to make a better film.

Here are some instances where, to the best of my recollection, Jackie was doubled:
Yuen Biao doubled for Jackie in at least one scene of Wheels on Meals.
Andy Cheng did some doublinig for Shanghai Noon
There was some doubling of Jackie for the snowboarding scenes of First Strike.
Mars did some double work for Project A, the bicycle stunt & some of the Clock Tower fight come to mind. I also think Mars did the clock stunt first and got hurt, then Jackie did it himself.
Biao doubled Jackie in parts of the My Luck Stars funhouse scene.
Dragons Forever has some moves doubled, most notably in the fight on the cruise ship, & the parking lot. This movie also features the most obvious Jackie doubling at the end of the movie where he was doubled for a fairly routine kick because of back problems.
Old 01-22-03, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
What's the big deal?

Jackie Chan is a likeable fellow and his movies are entertaining.

That little bit goes a long way.
Old 01-22-03, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess I'll add my pair o' pennies and say that I enjoy Jackie Chan, doubles or not.

If an actor/actress does not have something to set them apart from the rest, I'd dare say about 90 - 95% of Hollywood should just quit now. What seperates the all the actors who are not the "A-list" crowd (and, for that matter, many of the A-list)? What if someone's special thing is also done by someone else, for example (and I'm not saying that this is a true scenario) what good is Joe Pesci with his mobster "gimmick" if it's DeNiro's gimmick too?

Just a thunk. I mean a thought. Whatever. Skip it.
Old 01-23-03, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I really don't care about the big stunts. If he double for that then that's fine. It's the simple stunts that really amazes me. The way he jumps through ladders and guard cages and off of walls etc.
Old 01-24-03, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I agree that him doing his own stunts isn't a big deal. It was a great way for the US market to introduce him, but i don't even think about it when i see his latest movies.
Old 01-24-03, 02:03 PM

He IS a good actor. In Chinese. His English is terrible- but then how many good English actors can act in Chinese as well? I'd say for him to play a Native Chinese, which he does in his US movies, he does a very good job. Boyond that he's also a strong brand name for Kung-fu action in the US. He makes tons of money and sells kung-fu oriented action flick that ordinarily wouldn't sell here. As far as him quitting. I'm glad you aren't making the decisions for any major studios. Jackie Chan is the world's #1 star. He is worth well over a billion dollars and his latest "buddy-flicks" are increasing in revenue. 2 women killed themselves when they found out get got married. His wife recieved death threats. Imagine if you were the one deciding he shouldn't make anymore movies. You'd probably get killed.
Old 01-24-03, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Soon, cybernetic implants will allow Jackie Chan to continue doing his own stunts until he's 200 years old.
Old 01-24-03, 10:54 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I think the fact that the dreadful "The Tuxedo" managed to make over $50 mil says something about Jackie's appeal.
Old 01-26-03, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by DRG
I think the fact that the dreadful "The Tuxedo" managed to make over $50 mil says something about Jackie's appeal.
I kinda liked it...although I did not contribute to the 50mil
Old 01-26-03, 02:15 PM

Comments

But the "hook" to Jackie Chan has always been that he does all his own stunts.
I must respectively disagree. As has been mentioned, the "All His Own Stunts" line is more of a US creation.

But, that isn't my main point. JC's "hook"s aren't just him risking life and limb for the audience's enjoyment. What about the brilliant choreagraphy? The imaginative prop-work? His comedic abilities? Geez, the guy pretty much started the whole "kung-fu comedy" genre. Those are just some of his "hook"s.

When I go to a JC film, I don't necessarily look for some huge stunt or stunts. I go to watch/admire the choreagraphy, the creativity, and laugh at the situational humor.

I really don't care if he hasn't done *all* of his own stunts. I watch JC movies for a lot more than just that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.