Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spanish director comes out of closet

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-03, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of Spain's most gifted directors came out of the closet recently in an article from RepublicaGay.com.

Alejandro Amenábar directed the critically-acclaimed Tesis, Open Your Eyes and recently The Others with Nicole Kidman.

In Spanish:
http://www.republicagay.com/pages/aye/aye_12.htm

In poorly translated English:
http://216.239.39.120/translate_c?hl...UTF-8%26sa%3DG
Old 01-19-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting how many talented directors are gay. I don't know if this guy's talented, as I haven't seen his films, but a lot of good film directors are gay. Although, a lot of good film directors are straight, too.
Old 01-19-03, 03:15 PM

Isn't David Fincher openly gay? I thought I'd read that some years back.
Old 01-19-03, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hopefully this doesn't turn anyone off to his films--he has the potential to be really great--i loved Abre Los Ojos and The Others--can't wait until his next project
Old 01-19-03, 06:54 PM
Banned

So what is the surprise? Aren't most directors/producers gay?

Just like figure skating.
Old 01-19-03, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So?
Old 01-19-03, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
And?

It's not like I'll ever meet and/or work with any of them (Hollywood directors, not gay people) so as long as the work is good, they could screw sheep for all I care.
Old 01-19-03, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
If you have ever heard him speak its not exactly a shocking revelation. I don't see why its even a big deal. I could really care less about people's life style choices. Gay or straight makes no difference to me. Hopefully a day will come when things like this are a non issue.

Last edited by darkside; 01-19-03 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-19-03, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by Tesiae
So?
So, it's great that more and more people from around the world are not hiding in the closet anymore. Did you really not pick that up?
Old 01-19-03, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by teorema
So, it's great that more and more people from around the world are not hiding in the closet anymore. Did you really not pick that up?
What so you want me to give the dude a pat on the back? Pff... really, I don't care what the hell he is... Hmm, isn't that the goal of the world homosexual cabal?
Old 01-19-03, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Eh doesn't matter. I liked Abre Lose Ojos and The Others and I honestly don't care if he's gay as long as he keeps making movies like those.
Old 01-19-03, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Is Lucas gay?
Old 01-20-03, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
White Knight: You mean George Luca$? I don't know any "Lucas" off-hand.
Old 01-20-03, 01:18 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by White Knight
Is Lucas gay?

Well, he has hung out with Linda Ronstadt, so I wouldn't rule it out.
Old 01-20-03, 01:19 AM

What so you want me to give the dude a pat on the back? Pff... really, I don't care what the hell he is... Hmm, isn't that the goal of the world homosexual cabal?
Hey! If you know Amenabar, sure, give him a pat on the back! What a wonderful gesture! Even better, go see one of his films!

It took courage to reveal his sexual orientation to the public press. IMO; there is still a clear stigma against homosexuals, regardless of our political gains, throughout most of the world including Spain.
Old 01-20-03, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by teorema
Hey! If you know Amenabar, sure, give him a pat on the back! What a wonderful gesture! Even better, go see one of his films!

It took courage to reveal his sexual orientation to the public press. IMO; there is still a clear stigma against homosexuals, regardless of our political gains, throughout most of the world including Spain.

Sure I'll pat him on the back for being a good director. I like all three of his films. I am not patting him for revealing that he's a homosexual. It's none of my goddamned business just like it's none of my business how many women the newest boy wonder sleeps with. I don't care either way. I care about the art of filmmaking, not the personal lives of the filmmakers... unless they make for good, taudry stories. I don't think Amenabar qualifies.

Now, the one thing that irks me is this constant "Good for you!" attitude towards homosexuals revealing their orientation. I think it's almost as bad as the villification that's directed from the other extreme. I believe in acceptance, but not coddling. If you are, you are. If you are not, you are not. End of story.
Old 01-20-03, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He may be gay, but he certainly has great taste in picking his leading women (Penelope Cruz & Nicole Kidman).

When I first read the thread title, I thought you were talking about Pedro Almodovar, and I was thinking "what? Somebody thought he was straight?" (he is fairly flamboyant).
Old 01-20-03, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
I'm a straight man, without any homosexual tendencies, but based on how much I frickin' adored Tesis, Abre Los Ojos, and The Others, I'd do him.
Old 01-20-03, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by hokeyboy
I'm a straight man, without any homosexual tendencies, but based on how much I frickin' adored Tesis, Abre Los Ojos, and The Others, I'd do him.
Err... I wouldn't go NEAR that far, but yeah, he's quite a talented director - all three of those films are on my top ten lists for their respective years.

When I saw him at the GGs last night, before he even reached the stage I was 99% sure he was gay. And now I read this thread and I don't see how it could surprise anyone. I completely echoe Tesiae's sentiments.

LOL - oops - as you can tell by the above paragraph, I thought we were talking about Pedro. Anyhoo... I still echoe Tesiae's sentiments.

Last edited by JonTurner; 01-20-03 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-20-03, 06:10 PM

Sure I'll pat him on the back for being a good director. I like all three of his films. I am not patting him for revealing that he's a homosexual. It's none of my goddamned business just like it's none of my business how many women the newest boy wonder sleeps with. I don't care either way. I care about the art of filmmaking, not the personal lives of the filmmakers... unless they make for good, taudry stories. I don't think Amenabar qualifies.

Now, the one thing that irks me is this constant "Good for you!" attitude towards homosexuals revealing their orientation. I think it's almost as bad as the villification that's directed from the other extreme. I believe in acceptance, but not coddling. If you are, you are. If you are not, you are not. End of story.
Yes.
Old 01-20-03, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ALL directors are gay.
Even samuel fuller and john huston.
Old 01-20-03, 09:09 PM

I wish I were gay so people would think I was brave and applaud me.

As of right now I just wish I was queer so I could get chicks.
Old 01-20-03, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by Sunday Morning
ALL directors are gay.
Even samuel fuller and john huston.
Is that why every actor and actress known to man wants to direct??? OMG, everyone wants to come out!
Old 01-21-03, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You can't be a good director unless you're gay.

Somebody please tell me how to be gay!
Old 01-21-03, 10:43 AM

Some of you sure are pathetic breeders. I assumed this thread would interest other gay people or people without orientation biases but obviously it's been taken over by the "I don't care if they sleep with sheep" (read: I DO care) Duh Brigade and I simply MUST let other queers know by posting in a thread that I find completely useless!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.