Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Those MPAA ratings

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-03, 12:14 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those MPAA ratings

Why are they detailed in their descriptions? I've seen rated R for Alien Sci-Fi Terror. Is that necessary? It sorta spoils the movie if the trailer doesn't already. On another note if I was a director I'd probably have my MPAA rating look something like this: rated R for countless gunshots to the head, gorgeous full frontal female nudity, and lots of F words. That way it doesn't spoil anything but gives enough info so you know what your getting into.
Old 01-17-03, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well unless it gets an R rating, I wont watch it!

Old 01-17-03, 11:14 AM
Banned

My Favorite was Blue Crush: Rated PG-13 for "Mild Profanity, Brief Drug Use, and a Party Scene"

OH MY GOD!! A PARTY SCENE!!! I don't want to see that, thanks for warning me.
Old 01-17-03, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My favorite is The Powerpuff Girls Movie:
Rated PG for non-stop frenetic animated action.
Old 01-17-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
I liked the "Rated PG-13 for Non-stop Action Sequences" on the XXX trailer, are they the MPAA, or a marketing firm for Sony?
Old 01-17-03, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
To answer your question seriously, they give reasons for the rating to help parents decide if the film is appropriate for their children. It was sort of a copout to politicians when Washington was demanding Hollywood stop marketing R-rated films to minors.
Old 01-17-03, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Most people still don't understand that R can mean Legend of Drunken Master (R for what??? Come on) or American Psycho (R for you know what). Its not the same thing. It just gives a parent a little more of an idea. Some of the things they say are pretty humorous. "Rated PG-13 for peril" is one of my favorite ones.
Old 01-17-03, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
It's information for parents to let them know what the movie contains....frankly I have no problem with it and I applaud the effort.

've seen rated R for Alien Sci-Fi Terror. Is that necessary? It sorta spoils the movie if the trailer doesn't already.
Huh? Seriously, alien sci-fi terror....I could probably tell you if a movie contained that kind of stuff simply from the title. Now if The Hours was rated R for Alien Sci-Fi Terror, then I'd consider that a spoiler.
Old 01-17-03, 10:03 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by clemente
Now if The Hours was rated R for Alien Sci-Fi Terror, then I'd consider that a spoiler.
word...
Old 01-17-03, 10:41 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Originally posted by Pants
My Favorite was Blue Crush: Rated PG-13 for "Mild Profanity, Brief Drug Use, and a Party Scene"
I have to correct you... the rating description on the aforementioned poster was:

SEXUAL CONTENT, TEEN PARTYING,
LANGUAGE AND A FIGHT

It was the "and a fight" part that got me rolling in the aisle!
Old 01-17-03, 10:57 PM

And how about them "thematic elements" (see E.T.)
Old 01-17-03, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think most of the "thematic elements" are things that are supposed to be sad events??
Old 01-17-03, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
Most people still don't understand that R can mean Legend of Drunken Master (R for what??? Come on).
I think if the MPAA sees blood, its automatically rated R.
Old 01-17-03, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
I think if the MPAA sees blood, its automatically rated R.
No, no, you mean a female nipple.
Old 01-18-03, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by shaun3000
No, no, you mean a female nipple.
& don't forget a female vagina or male penis gets a automatic NC-17 99.9999% of the time!

What aload of ****!

Anyone one i always found humorous was Twister..rated PG-13 for intense depiction of very bad weather!

Though while supposedly ratings reasons are helpful.I doubt many parents bother following them with all the bitching they still do over taking there kids to a film & gasp had 'objectionable' content.Ummm parents do your ****ing job for a change rather than ruin it for the rest of us!

I mean some movies are so loaded with 'questionable' content that listing them would take pages which is why it's funny seeing the reason for Natural Born Killers R/NC-17 about disturbing imagery,strong violence,language sex nudity,anti-social attitude & the list goes on & on.Same for the recent Rules of Attraction.

It's even funnier when the narrator in the tv/radio spots also goes over the ratings reasons.Same with companies selling pills & stuff on tv & they go on for like 5mn on the side affects to avoid lawsuits.

I just wish they would get rid of the NC-17 & 'adults only' ratings & let R be high enough. If your going to start explaining why movies got certain ratings.Then it makes no sense that the movie recieved a R rating after 2 seconds of a dick/vagina shot was cut.Ok does that make the movie anymore acceptable for kids?

Of course not..the films intended for adults.So why are those two seconds more objectionable than the rest of the film for a R rating?

Rated R for strong sex content,adult situations,language ect ect..& for the NC-17 version-for a dick shot! gasp!!!!!!!

Don't forget the recent release of Amadeus. Rated R for brief nudity!!! could easily be PG or at least PG-13!!

The MPAA are so funny in there hypocrisies.Still i guess it's better than the BBFC or the gov. rating stuff.Yet they do need a good kick in the groin & knock some common sense into there lame brain thick conservative skulls.
Old 01-18-03, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Julie Walker
Still i guess it's better than the BBFC or the gov. rating stuff

Maybe you should just be thankful it's not a Gov. censoring the movie if it means all you put up with is a board coming up with ratings.

You know, I have never paid much attention to the ratings myself unless I was questioned about it at the theater, then again, that didn't happen much. After I reached the max of what the movie ratings age would limit, I never paid attention to a single movie rating. Should it matter? Not to me.
Old 03-11-03, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Core Rated PG-13 for sci-fi life/death situations (what the hell is the difference between this and "Sci-fi violence"?)
Agent Cody Banks Rated PG for action violence, mild language and some sensual content (oh my god, Sensual content, hide the kids now, there is kissing in this movie!!! )
Old 03-11-03, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

female vagina or male penis gets a automatic NC-17 99.9999% of the time!
Even worse is a male vagina and a female penis!
Old 03-11-03, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm glad this thread resurfaced, because I have a new favorite MPAA rating. From "Frank & Ollie", some documentary about two Disney animators...

Rated PG
For a moment of language and a brief view of a nude drawing

Old 03-11-03, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by LBPound
I'm glad this thread resurfaced, because I have a new favorite MPAA rating. From "Frank & Ollie", some documentary about two Disney animators...

Rated PG
For a moment of language and a brief view of a nude drawing

proof that movies in the 70's that had nudity would defenatly be rated R and most movies in the 60's that had a few damns, here and there, would be pg.
Old 03-11-03, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Julie Walker
& don't forget a female vagina or male penis gets a automatic NC-17 99.9999% of the time!

What aload of ****!
Not quite, the dc of color of night (with that 1 second shot of willis's thing) got an R. Also we see some "hair" in Requiem for a dream, porky's, and probably many more.
Old 03-11-03, 06:07 PM

The NC-17 rating could be a great thing. It would mean that movies like Eyes Wide Shut wouldn't have to be cut to earn an R rating and appease the MPAA. It was implemented so there could be a rating just above R that would signify "strong adult themes" without the stigma of the X rating. The main reason that the NC-17 rating doesn't work is because Blockbuster(under the guise of "family values") and some movie theatres have a policy where they refuse to carry or show movies with an NC-17 rating. And the studios don't want to sink millions of dollars into a movie that Blockbuster isn't going to carry.
Old 03-11-03, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
Not quite, the dc of color of night (with that 1 second shot of willis's thing) got an R. Also we see some "hair" in Requiem for a dream, porky's, and probably many more.
Requiem for a dream wasn't submitted to the mpaa. Not for its theatrical release anyway. It was listed as "unrated". Then they edited it for the home video version so that Blockbuster would carry it.
Old 03-11-03, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by MurraySiskind
Requiem for a dream wasn't submitted to the mpaa. Not for its theatrical release anyway. It was listed as "unrated". Then they edited it for the home video version so that Blockbuster would carry it.
According to what I read on imdb.com. the scene in question is not listed as one of the cut scene's so I would guess that it was in the R rated version. The cuts include: imdb.com
Spoiler:
The edited version replaces the shot of Marion and another woman having sex with two men with a shot of Marion partially clothed climbing on top of a man. Also, all the shots of the double-ended dildo and the shots of Marion and the woman having sex on it have been replaced with alternate camera angles and shots that hide any indication that the two are having anal sex on it. Some shots were also re-used to hide the close-ups of the two butts slamming together.
Old 03-11-03, 06:19 PM

the major reason nc-17 doesn't work is lack of advertising. they can't get ads on tv nor in most publications. no advertising = no box office, and even then as you stated many theaters would refuse to play an nc-17 movie. damn the censor.

and as for the "dick" julie mentioned willis also get a good shot in pulp fiction, and i must say it isn't a bad piece of equipment.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.