Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Pirates of the Caribbean: Disney's next flop?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-03, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney...caribbean.html
Old 01-09-03, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

without seeing anything or knowing the plot, i don't know if it will be a flop but the way disney has been going lately, it will be interesting to find out.
Old 01-09-03, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
They have already started hyping it with Gore Verbinski's name. Like people know he directed The Ring and he is some big time director
Old 01-09-03, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know nothing about this movie. So I can't judge now. Johnny Depp is usually pretty careful about picking his roles, so that's some credibility.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some info on this flick?
Old 01-09-03, 08:54 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by mmconhea
Johnny Depp is usually pretty careful about picking his roles, so that's some credibility.
That's what I am betting on as well.
Old 01-09-03, 09:05 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
No way will this flop.
Old 01-09-03, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

here is some additional info. for what it's worth...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,75046,00.html
--------------------------------------------
Disney: Pirate's Gate or Pirate World?

Believe it or not, Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean is still shooting. Will it be a hit, or Heaven's Gate? Or even worse, Waterworld with peg-legs.

Maybe you forgot. Maybe Jerry Bruckheimer Productions thought Disney wouldn't notice, but the blockbuster film based on the famed Disneyland ride of the same name went into production back on October 9th. That is, 2002. Now sources say that it's got a month to go before it wraps.

The $100 million extravaganza stars Geoffrey Rush, Johnny Depp, and Orlando Bloom (of Two Towers fame) as the eye-patch guys. No word on whether there's a parrot involved. Gore Verbinski, who directed Julia Roberts and Brad Pitt to their least successful moments in The Mexican, is in charge. The screenplay is by Terry Rossio .

Pirates sounds like a summer release, and may actually make its July 25th opening despite not being finished with principal photography. But here's a better question: who wants to see this movie? Fans of the ride? Another Disney ride, The Country Bears, albeit animated, was a bust at the box office as a film when it came out this fall. None of this bodes well for the former studio giant, which is also licking its wounds from the miserable showing of Treasure Planet .
Old 01-09-03, 09:28 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The comparison of Country Bears is ludicrous. That was a film based on the park's least popular attraction (more people go to the "Tiki Room"). This film is based on the park's most popular attraction, and has more to offer for adults (wheras that bear movie appeared to be aimed solely at the kiddies).

I'm reminded of 2001, when people were predicting that The Fellowship of the Ring would bomb because Dungeons and Dragons did. Oops.
Old 01-09-03, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh yeah movies based on rides are SO IN right now.
Old 01-09-03, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think more movies should be based on breakfast cereals, not rides.
Old 01-09-03, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Dr. DVD
They have already started hyping it with Gore Verbinski's name. Like people know he directed The Ring and he is some big time director
And...? It wouldn't be the first time a studio did this. Every trailer for Kangaroo Jack states it was "directed by David McNally" like it's supposed to mean something. And i'm sure there's a lot more.

If anything, hyping it by using Gore's name wouldn't be a good thing [with me, anyways] since the Ring was a piece of crap. [IMO]
Old 01-09-03, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

To compare this film to anything else that's flopped recently, including Country Bears, The Mexican or even Treasure Planet is absolutely ridiculous. Apples, oranges and kiwis.

The Country Bears is based on an attraction at Disney. Great. ...it's an attraction that everyone attends because we've all shared in the silliness of the Country Bear Jamboree at one point or another and must return, because let's face it, it's pretty damn stupid for anyone over the age of 8. We can tolerate
10 minute doses but does anyone want to see an entire film? hell no.

Pirates of the Caribbean is merely capitalizing off of the name recognition of one of the most popular rides at Disney... and since it's a Disney movie, why shouldn't they? It'll probably draw more families into the film since they're familiar with the ride... but let's face reality here. This is a pirate movie. It's about Pirates... not some silly singing bear band... and that will get me to buy a ticket. Disney ride or not, I want to see some Pirates... and Johnny Depp even made the Astronaut's Wife watchable and that film was craptacular.

...projecting a film's gross based upon a director's previous work is even more useless. The only people who care about directors are film buffs. The average Joe (who accounts for most of ticket sales whether we want to believe it or not) doesn't give a rat's heinie what Gore Verbinski directed prior to this movie... and he's definitely not going to say hmmm... "Mr. Verbinski directed Julia Roberts biggest flop since Pret a Porter." Come on. The Mexican was less than fabulous but it had its moments... and the direction was at the very least competant. It wasn't Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever for godsakes (that man should never be allowed to work ever again).

...and by the way, I'm so there if they make a movie about the old "Tiki Room". Not the new one mind you...
Old 01-09-03, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
The comparison of Country Bears is ludicrous. That was a film based on the park's least popular attraction (more people go to the "Tiki Room").
Hey!

I rather enjoy the "Country Bears."

The fella with the half-attached overall's is kinda woofy.

Old 01-09-03, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah i don't see how any real judgements can be made about this flick when there's only been a teaser trailer and poster. It seems to have very little to do with ride aside from sharing the popular name, and unlike the Country Bears, Pirates looks to be a serious adventure movie. Especially with a star like Johnny Depp and an up and coming star like Orlando Bloom. And if the poster/trailer hold true with the skeleton, it could be very cool

However, a budget of $100 mil seems a bit high for this type of movie. Hopefully it won't be another Cutthroat Island.
Old 01-09-03, 11:37 AM
Banned

From the article above:
went into production back on October 9th. That is, 2002. Now sources say that it's got a month to go before it wraps.
What's the problem here? That's 4 months by my count. Most films with $100 million budgets take that long.

By the way this film will only half suck. Haunted Mansion will FULLY SUCK.
Old 01-09-03, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I have much less hope for the Haunted Mansion.
Old 01-09-03, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I don't know with Johnny depp and Orlando Bloom. Looks like it will atleast attract a few of the ladies.
Old 01-09-03, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Pants
From the article above:
What's the problem here? That's 4 months by my count. Most films with $100 million budgets take that long.
I too found that quote perplexing....as if no movie has ever taken four months to shoot.....it also seems to imply that not having wrapped principle photography in Jan. for a July release is something never before seen as well.

I'll skip the Fox News swipe, but its non-news.

The trailer seemed to get a big pop in the theaters because of Orlando Bloom....plus the guy who directed the Ring, and Johhny Depp (lest I hold the Ninth Gate against him), I'd say the movie has some mojo working for it out of the gate.
Old 01-09-03, 08:28 PM

Did you see where production has started on "The Tiki Room."
"They go in. They never return."

Personally I think it's kind of sad that a company once at the pinnacle of creativity with such films as Fantasia and Aladdin has gone full circle and can find no other source of inspiration than a tacky amusement park ride.
J
Old 01-09-03, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by jdpatri
[B]The Country Bears is based on an attraction at Disney. Great. ...it's an attraction that everyone attends because we've all shared in the silliness of the Country Bear Jamboree at one point or another and must return, because let's face it, it's pretty damn stupid for anyone over the age of 8. We can tolerate
10 minute doses but does anyone want to see an entire film? hell no.
I saw the movie twice....and I would probably own it if it hadn't been released as full frame. Good, fun movie with a few laughs and some good music. I think most people who trash it haven't seen it though, but nothing unusual about that around here.
Old 01-10-03, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by jdpatri
The Country Bears is based on an attraction at Disney. Great. ...it's an attraction that everyone attends because we've all shared in the silliness of the Country Bear Jamboree at one point or another and must return, because let's face it, it's pretty damn stupid for anyone over the age of 8. We can tolerate
10 minute doses but does anyone want to see an entire film? hell no. [/B]
Don't forget, the country bears attraction is no longer at disney. Not because of the movie. They replaced it before the movie was released and it is not a winnie the pooh thing.
Old 01-10-03, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Don't forget, the country bears attraction is no longer at disney. Not because of the movie. They replaced it before the movie was released and it is not a winnie the pooh thing.
Last I checked, Country Bears was still around, atleast at Disney World.

I know they replaced Mr. Toad's Wild Ride at Disney World with a Winnie the Pooh ride. Are youthinking of that, maybe?

For the record, while Mr. Toad's Wild Ride was based on a classic Disney character that most kids probably have never heard of, now-a-days, the ride, itself, really blew. It was on par with some of the crappier rides found at carnivals and fairs. The new Winnie the Pooh ride is very cool and uses some nifty technology. I think it's better than the former Wild Ride, although based on a more mainstream tale. (But still a classic Disney tale, none-the-less)
Old 01-10-03, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by shaun3000
I think Jack's talking about Disneyland. I didn't notice the CBs when I was there in October. They had a WtP "corner", but nothing was open [perhaps it wasn't complete yet...]
Old 01-10-03, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Well, hopefully the next trailer actually shows something of the movie. I'm not really interested in it too much, but we'll see how things pan out.
Old 01-10-03, 11:14 AM
Banned

Originally posted by shaun3000

I know they replaced Mr. Toad's Wild Ride at Disney World with a Winnie the Pooh ride. Are youthinking of that, maybe?

For the record, while Mr. Toad's Wild Ride was based on a classic Disney character that most kids probably have never heard of, now-a-days, the ride, itself, really blew. It was on par with some of the crappier rides found at carnivals and fairs. The new Winnie the Pooh ride is very cool and uses some nifty technology. I think it's better than the former Wild Ride, although based on a more mainstream tale. (But still a classic Disney tale, none-the-less)
Country Bears is dust at Disneyland in CA. They closed it just in time to NOT benefit from what little synergy the film might have created. Way to go Disney!

But about Mr. Toad, WHAT ARE YOU TALKIN' ABOUT BOY!?

Are you nuts, that ride is classic. Sure it's a little low rent, but it has character. If they don't have Mr. Toad at Disney World then that's just one more reason for me to never go there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.