Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Predator soundtrack?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Predator soundtrack?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-03, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Predator soundtrack?

Why was this soundtrack never released?
Old 01-07-03, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Why was the soundtrack to Highlander never released?

Or the soundtrack for Ferris Bueller's Day Off ?

Or The Man with One Red Shoe?

Who knows?

While it seems that every movie gets a soundtrack, it's not true. Sometimes it might have to do with music rights. Other times it might have to do with lack of interest from the studio. Still other times the true reason is clouded in mystery, as when fans of the Blade Runner score had to wait over a decade for the soundtrack's release, with no real answer as to why it had taken so long.

BTW, the three soundtracks listed above are ones that I want. Beuller and One Red Shoe both have bootleg releases, while Highlander has had a few clips released on compilations and such.
Old 01-07-03, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Soundtracks weren't seen as the powerful ($$$) ancillary market that they are today in the 80's. Seemingly every movie has a soundtrack these days....a successful film will spawn several soundtracks.

Some films seemingly are made only to sell a soundtrack (which pisses me off)
Old 01-07-03, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silvestri's score for Predator was released, but production ceased shortly after. It wasn't that popular a score back in '86, but then again, have you seen the track listing for the album? The cd is mainly comprised of brief cues from the film and has repetitous leitmotifs and/or themes when the tracks are longer than 2 minutes; in essence, the whole score isn't worth purchasing anyway. What I can't understand is why Goldsmith's The Russia House is so damned hard to find.
Old 01-08-03, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're looking for Silvestri's score of Predator, just pick up the Predator 2 one. It sounds exactly the same!
Old 01-08-03, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Predator 2 score has a strong "jungle native music" sound to it, so it doesn't quite have the same feel as the first one IMHO.

Anyway, you can find the first one online - there have been highly limited releases of it. I don't think they were even at retail, just circulated among industry people or something. Try your favourite music trading service.

Last edited by ipkevin; 01-08-03 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-08-03, 12:31 PM

Anyway, you can find the first one online - there have been highly limited releases of it. I don't think they were even at retail, just circulated among industry people or something. Try your favourite music trading service.
Yeah, they are usually bootlegs.
Old 01-08-03, 08:31 PM

Originally posted by FHaggis
What I can't understand is why Goldsmith's The Russia House is so damned hard to find.
Tell me about it. I've been searching for this soundtrack on CD for years.