Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Kevin Smith and "Superman Lives"-great story behind a film that never was!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-02, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I have read Kevin Smith's script for Superman Lives and thought it was good but that some stuff was rather forced.

Last night I saw the portion of the Evening with Kevin Smith DVD that dealt with that incident. IMO, it pretty much says everything that is wrong with the Hollywood system and how it approached major franchises and projects. If you haven't seen it, I recommend you at least rent the DVD to see it, and enjoy the rest of the talk because it is very funny.

Apparently producer Jon Peters thought that he and Smith were right for the job because they were "from the streets". Smith thought this awkward because he was from suburban N.J. and Peters was a hairdresser, but he wanted the job, so he stayed mum. I am sure the same thing has happened a lot of times in Hollywood.
Old 12-31-02, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Kevin Smith and "Superman Lives"-great story behind a film that never was!

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
I have read Kevin Smith's script for Superman Lives and thought it was good but that some stuff was rather forced.
Where did you find a copy of this script? I'd love to read it.

jim
Old 12-31-02, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Kevin Smith and "Superman Lives"-great story behind a film that never was!

Originally posted by Gamblor187
Where did you find a copy of this script? I'd love to read it.

jim
It's all over the web, but I recommend going to Drew's Script-o-Rama. Type it in on yahoo and you'll find it. All sorts of scripts from classics to films that never were.
Old 12-31-02, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I read that script and it just struck me as awful, assuming it was really KS's script and not a fake. Cheesy dialogue, fake attempts to seem "hip" that'll be dated in five years, a plot that was just all over the place... I dunno, Superman just calls for the kind of majesty (IMHO) that Smith hasn't yet proved he's capable of to me. What I like about 1978's Superman is how little it's dated, the obvious fashion faux pas aside.

I am eager to hear his 'uncensored' thoughts on his involvement in the Superman 5 plans on the "Evening" DVD, though, I'm hoping to rent that soon.
Old 12-31-02, 01:41 PM

http://members.tripod.com/ajeewa/mov...rman-lives.txt
Old 12-31-02, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Sierra Disc
I read that script and it just struck me as awful, assuming it was really KS's script and not a fake. Cheesy dialogue, fake attempts to seem "hip" that'll be dated in five years, a plot that was just all over the place... I dunno, Superman just calls for the kind of majesty (IMHO) that Smith hasn't yet proved he's capable of to me. What I like about 1978's Superman is how little it's dated, the obvious fashion faux pas aside.

I am eager to hear his 'uncensored' thoughts on his involvement in the Superman 5 plans on the "Evening" DVD, though, I'm hoping to rent that soon.
The DVD will clear up a lot of the problems you had with his script. Most of the attempts to look hip were in there at the request of Jon Peters, and Smith put them in reluctantly because he wanted to keep the job. (a "gay" robot, Brainiac fighting Polar Bears, the giant spider creature, etc.)
Old 12-31-02, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Parts of this story have been on the net for a year or two in streaming video form ... but it is still hilarious.
Old 12-31-02, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. DVD
The DVD will clear up a lot of the problems you had with his script. Most of the attempts to look hip were in there at the request of Jon Peters, and Smith put them in reluctantly because he wanted to keep the job. (a "gay" robot, Brainiac fighting Polar Bears, the giant spider creature, etc.)
Yeeesh, it figures the spider creature and polar bears stuff were Jon Peters' idea. It's so awful that it's been years since I read the treatment and I still shudder at the gay robot stuff. That was pretty putrid -- of course, coming from the man who produced "Wild Wild West," "Bonfire Of The Vanities" and "Caddyshack II," I should expect greatness?