Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The PERFECT film [spoilers]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-02, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everybody has an opinion, and not all opinions are shared by the majority. However, when a majority agrees on an opinion - well, that means something.

What makes a film "perfect?" Character development? Script? Direction? Performer? All of the above? Certainly. In this thread, my goal is to weed out personal favorite from a genuinely perfect motion picture. The personal favorite film is a biased opinion - it could hold a special memory for a person due to where the film was viewed, or a special period in a person's life, or age, or whatever. Has no basis on whether the film is truly perfect. It may be perfect to a person due to the above reasons, which would make it perfect just for them. Therefore, a personal favorite.

Not to be confused with a perfect film.

The chief reason to what makes a film perfect to me: the way it makes me feel. If a film manages to move me, to stir my emotions, then it is affecting me. I feel a film should do something to the viewer, whether it allows them to feel happy or sad, or whether it manages to make you think about it long after the film has concluded. Ever walk out of the theater still thinking about something in the film? That's what I'm talking about.

A perfect film is always revisited - much like a perfect book - and you still manage to enjoy the film almost as much, if not more, than the first time you saw it.

1) "The Godfather" 1972
This film is perfect because it combines great characters with a great script. You have a sense of Vito Corleone's (Marlon Brando) subtle yet powerful presence; you view eldest son Sonny (James Caan) as a hot-head but also see his human side - the side that causes genuine grief at his demise; you see the transformation of youngest son Michael go from innocence to corruption.

The death of Sonny is always a regretable scene - a truly exceptional supporting character where he dominates the scenes he plays in, and we really miss him when he is no longer around. Like a real death in the family.

2) "Rocky" 1976
The #1 all-time "Feel Good" movie.
A loser who beat the odds and became a winner. A rags-to-riches story of a undereducated poor kid with the spirit, ambition, and drive to overcome his shortcomings and to go beyond even his own expectations.

This film can inspire anybody to do better in their lives. A rare film where you can go into the theater feeling low, and you leave the theater feeling good.
Old 12-22-02, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure you're gonna get a LOT of 'Lord of the Rings' responses to this thread.

Considering Tolkien basically spent his ENTIRE life on writing the book, creating SPECIFIC details and even an entire language, I would assume LOTR is a "Perfect" film.

Also, Look at Star Wars 4:
If you had NO knowledge of the Star Wars series and someone showed you Star Wars 4 (the original cut and not the one that adds all the new FX), then asked you what year do you think it was made, I'd think most people would guess at least 10 years later than it really was. I'm AMAZED at how much better it looks in comparison to Sci-Fi movies of the mid-80's.
Old 12-22-02, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Star Wars (episode 4) was definitely a technical achievement - a film well before its time (1977), and a legitimate nomination for Best Picture of the year strictly on the special effects achievement and direction of George Lucas.

In hindsight, however, the acting was real cheezy - Alec Guinness being the exception.

1977's "Star Wars" is definitely every sci-fi fanatics perfect picture.
Old 12-22-02, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, if one clicks on this thread, they can expect to read spoilers on ANY FILM of all-time that one considers perfect?! Sheesh!