Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Oscar Potential?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-02, 06:10 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oscar Potential?

What's your opinion on TTT's Oscar potential? After searching through www.oscarwatch.com, I can't find a single list that praises The Two Towers as best film of the year. I think once the Golden Globes are announced, we'll get a better idea.
Old 12-17-02, 07:16 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It'll be nominated but not win, just like FOTR, IMO.
Old 12-18-02, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It will get some nominations and win a few technical awards as usual.
Old 12-18-02, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Technical awards yes, but the acting wasn't as good in this one I felt.
Old 12-18-02, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just got back from seeing it. It may get some technical noms although Jar Jar Gollum looked bad in some scenes (and was irritating). I don't see it getting any acting, writing or best picture nominations since frankly, it's not that good of a movie. It was just scene after scene of declarative dialogue with nary a real conversation to be found.
Old 12-18-02, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by NitroJMS
I just got back from seeing it. It may get some technical noms although Jar Jar Gollum looked bad in some scenes (and was irritating). I don't see it getting any acting, writing or best picture nominations since frankly, it's not that good of a movie. It was just scene after scene of declarative dialogue with nary a real conversation to be found.
That's not really the fault of the writing, the story, or the actors -- there's just not meant to be as many dramatic lines in this one... A few exceptions are the ones with the King of Rohan which are somewhat woodenly acted but no worse than some of the stuff on Star Wars.

It should get a best picture nomination though... I can't think of any other big Hollywood movie that so deserves it (the nomination, not necessarily the win).
Old 12-18-02, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Oh come now, Jar Jar Gollum? He wasn't annoying. Well not as much as his character was suppose to be. All in all, I loved the Gollum effects, they flowed well with live action.
Old 12-18-02, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

TTT has zero chance in hell of winning the "best picture" oscar.

With the tastes of the Academy running to tepid, middle-of-the-road, blue-hair crowd-pleasers ("Beautiful Mind" anyone?), let's just say "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" positively OWNS the "best picture" award this year.

Old 12-18-02, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by grunter

With the tastes of the Academy running to tepid, middle-of-the-road, blue-hair crowd-pleasers ("Beautiful Mind" anyone?), let's just say "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" positively OWNS the "best picture" award this year.

"My Big Fat Greek Wedding" will most assuredly NOT win Best Picture. I highly doubt it'll even get nominated.

If anything, "Gangs of New York" has to be the early favorite. It's already being praised as Scorcese's "new masterpiece." The Academy worships films of its size and grandeur... not to mention its much loved director.
Old 12-18-02, 03:25 PM

Don't know don't care. Like grunter said the academy judges look like Theoden before he was released from the spell. And it's the worst "We'll reward you later for something stupid since we didn't let you win THIS year with your DESERVING nomination"

Love the movie and don't care about the oscars.
Old 12-18-02, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by grunter

My big fat greek wedding will not Own anything come oscar time. If there is anything that Oscar voters like more, is seeing themselves on screen in some shape or form. Thus you will see Adaptation take home some "bling bling" come oscar time.
Old 12-20-02, 07:45 AM

I vividly remember last year when LOTR received a record 12 or 13 nominations, but only won the major technical awards.

Not winning Best Picture or Director was a major error on the Academy's part.

Twenty years from now, how many people will remember A BEAUTIFUL MIND as Best Picture of 2001?

Many more WILL remember LOTR however as a classic film if there ever was one!
Old 12-20-02, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Going to be interesting...AOTC vs. LOTR:TTT
Old 12-20-02, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by dvdirv
I vividly remember last year when LOTR received a record 12 or 13 nominations, but only won the major technical awards.

Not winning Best Picture or Director was a major error on the Academy's part.

Twenty years from now, how many people will remember A BEAUTIFUL MIND as Best Picture of 2001?

Many more WILL remember LOTR however as a classic film if there ever was one!
I felt it deserved Best picture and director as well, but I liked "A Beautiful Mind" as well.

Where I think the real crime was though, was awarding the adapted screenplay award to "A Beautiful Mind" instead of FOTR. That was a real crime. The Lord of the Rings has been sensational in its efforts to be true to the spirit and substance of its literary work, which I would classify as probably amongst those that are the most difficult to bring to the screen. Many "have tried and died" (borrowing a line from the ill-fated "Dune", which suffered greatly from the inability to translate Herbert's book to a decent screen adaption, which Peter Jackson has thankfully avoided.

By contrast too, one of "A Beautiful Mind"'s weakest points was that it's screenplay twisted a lot of what John Nash's life was supposed to be to the point that I think it's genuineness could be called into question. If it were a sold as a fictitious work like an equally effective move like "Rain Man" was many years ago, I'd buy that it was well done, but, like "Pearl Harbor" and other similar films that try to be "docudramas" about people's lives or other real events, it takes way too many liberties with creative license.

This is not meant as a criticism of Sylvia Nassar's book which the screenplay was based on. After all, I can't criticize someone who went to the same high school as I!
Old 12-21-02, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by White Knight
Going to be interesting...AOTC vs. LOTR:TTT
!!

No offense but thats just funny!
Old 12-21-02, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
My big fat greek wedding will not Own anything come oscar time. If there is anything that Oscar voters like more, is seeing themselves on screen in some shape or form. Thus you will see Adaptation take home some "bling bling" come oscar time.
Clearly you still hold the Oscars with some measure of esteem. Something that I - myself - can no longer do.

"Adaptation" is way too quirky and abstract for the Academy voters to award it anything. In fact, I'm willing to bet that it's not nominated for anything other than writing categories and - on a way outside chance - maybe the supporting actor categories.

I expect "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" to be the toast of the town come Oscar time - that's a virtual snapshot of the Academy's voting members.
Old 12-22-02, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure what bland-boring film the studios will buy the best picture award for, but it won't be TTT.

Scorcese will easily win the annual "pity vote/make-up prize/career achievement award." He'll get best director, if not best picture. Jackson deserved it last year and deserves again for TTT. Maybe he'll get it next year.

TTT has an outside shot at best adapted screenplay, altough I think the writers of Minority Report are more deserving. Not sure if Adaption would qualify as an adapted or original screenplay.

The only TTT actor getting any kind of awards push is Andy Serkis, who voiced/stood in for Gollum. IMO, this would be more of a novelty nomination -- and despite a great performance, Serkis would have zero chance of winning.
Old 12-22-02, 11:00 PM

TTT will probably be nominated, no doubt about it. It will not win in any catergory except technical ones.

Next year, after the third movie comes out, it will be nominated. And win.

Because, despite Academy rules (which I've never read but understand from reading about stuff, and, well, just look at the way they vote -- it's not too hard to form the rules they use based upon that), they do honor and bestow "body-of-work" awards, even if mediocre performance is what is selected (Denzel is the prime example of this happening: how many fantastic performances has he put in and not even been nominated for? and then he wins for Training Day. Nope, I don't buy it. At all. Good performance, but not Academy good.)
Old 12-23-02, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts
Hey, TTT might have a chance.

As long as, when nomination time rolls around, they play up the film as being about a mentally challenged misfit named Gollum and a hooker with a heart of gold named Eowyn, they stand of good chance of sweeping everything.
Old 12-23-02, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by ravan
!!

No offense but thats just funny!

What's so funny?
Old 12-23-02, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well OT, but AOTC for oscar noms in the 'heavy categories'?
I like starwars, but thats not very likely ..
Old 12-23-02, 11:11 PM

dude i'm talking visual effects here
Old 12-24-02, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Unfortunately the technical oscars are majorly overlooked. In FX i'm sure there will be a few AOTC/TTT close calls.

For the 'real' categories such as director, movie etc. I dont think we will see any AOTC but hopefully some TTT (although after last year you never know).
Old 12-25-02, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I doubt The Two Towers will win best picture. It will be nominated for sure but this is not the type of movie that the academy likes to reward.

Let me explain.....from what I've heard, the Motion Picture Academy members are mostly comprised of people who come from "Old Hollywood". Meaning that if an epic picture is going to win it's going to more in the vein of say Spartacus. Also, it's almost like there's this notion that there are certain movies that "should win". What does that mean? Films like Shindler's List, A Beautiful Mind.....gernerally movies that are "serious films". So when they look at Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers they see it as merely an "action picture". Which is why when back in 1977 when Star Wars was nominated it didn't win Best Picture. Also from what I've heard, there's alot of behind the scenes "campaigning" that goes on. I've seen on E Network that certain people connected with certain films will send "Thank You" gifts to certain Academy members for their nominations. Whether or not this is still practiced I'm not sure but if it is, the practice calls into question the whole nominating and voting process.
Old 12-25-02, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Personally, I'm not convinced that The Two Towers will even be nominated for Best Picture. Not that it really matters of course, because we all know the Academy is full of a bunch of tossers.

It would be nice if it were to be nominated, but I think the Oscars will hold off on any major rewards to Peter Jackson, et al. until Return Of The King. I expect that he will win Best Director for the next film because of his enormous work on the "trilogy". Sort of a, "hey we really thought you were awesome on the first two films, but we couldn't let you score a hat trick, could we?".

Time will tell...

-matt

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.