Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Academy Awards - Those Who Deserve, And the Make-Up Oscar

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-02, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All through the Academy Awards history, there have been those who actually deserved the Oscar, and there have been those who have won for past and better performances that were overlooked - better known as "The Make-Up Oscar." The "Make-Up Oscar" can also be for age when a veteran actor has never won.

One example of a "make-up" Oscar would go to James Coburn, who won Best Supporting Actor for 1998's "Affliction." He was pitted against Ed Harris (The Truman Show) and Geoffrey Rush (Shakespeare In Love), and while my personal pick would have been for Harris' dynamic performance in 'Truman,' Coburn won as the abusive and alcoholic father to Nick Nolte. Coburn's performance wasn't bad, really, but not exactly Oscar-material in my opinion.

One example of a nominee who truly deserved to win the Oscar was Judi Dench (Best Supporting Actress) for her 8-minute on-screen performance in "Shakespeare In Love" from 1998. Her performance is the shortest to have won an Oscar, but her presence as Queen Elizabeth demanded your attention. She was royalty, and her stare alone emitted royalty. I was in awe, and would have done anything she asked if she had walked off that screen and approached me.

This post is merely opinion, as we all have our favorites who have both won and lost - and some who were never even nominated for performances we thought were worthy of recognition.
Old 12-15-02, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep. Russell Crowe comes to mind. And Denzel Washington for the make-up deal.

Most over looked

Best Supporting Actor - Brian Cox - L.I.E.
Old 12-15-02, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For the very reason that Martin Scorsese has never won an Oscar for Best Director for such films as 1980's "Raging Bull" and 1990's "GoodFellas" will likely earn the director his Oscar for the upcoming "Gangs of New York" - whether he deserves it or not.

To think: Scorsese lost in 1980 to first-time actor-turned-director Robert Redford (Ordinary People) and in 1990 to first-time actor-turned-director Kevin Costner (Dances With Wolves). There aren't any actor-turned-directors making a film this year, are there? If there are, watch out Marty!
Old 12-15-02, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Denzel Washington is making his directorial debut with Antwone Fisher, which is already getting oscar buzz.
Old 12-15-02, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Isnt George Clooney getting some buzz for Confessions of a Dangerous Mind?

Last edited by bdshort; 12-15-02 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-15-02, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't heard any buzz about Clooney, but Sam Rockwell is getting some, I believe.
Old 12-15-02, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by conscience
I haven't heard any buzz about Clooney, but Sam Rockwell is getting some, I believe.
Sam Rockwell - isn't he the one from "The Green Mile?" Billy the Kid? Heh. If anyone deserved an Oscar nomination from that film, it was him (which he didn't).

Val Kilmer is another one. He was in two films where he surely deserved a nomination.

1) 1991's "The Doors," where he played the self-destructive genius Jim Morrison. While the picture itself was all telling about his boozin' and his dark side and didn't bother to express the other side of Morrison which was insightful and beautiful, the actor became Jim Morrison for the film. The film was a disgrace, but Kilmer brought Morrison back from the dead.

2) 1993's "Tombstone." Kilmer's supporting role as "Doc Holliday" was the best thing about the picture - and this picture wasn't bad at all, actually. Not to take away any of the work the other actors brought to "Tombstone," but when Kilmer was present, all others took a back seat.
Old 12-15-02, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here is my short list of actors who were nominated and won for their performances - and DESERVED IT:

1) Jack Nicholson (Best Actor - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest) 1975

2) Robert DeNiro (Best Actor - Raging Bull) 1980

3) Anthony Hopkins (Best Actor - Silence of the Lambs) 1991

4) Joe Pesci (Best Supporting Actor - GoodFellas) 1990

5) Christopher Walken (Best Supporting Actor - The Deer Hunter) 1978

----------

Here is a short list of actors who have won the Oscar - but DIDN'T deserve to win:

1) Joel Grey (Best Supporting Actor - Cabaret) 1972
He beat out Al Pacino and James Caan for "The Godfather."

2) Melvyn Douglas (Best Supporting Actor - Being There) 1979
He beat out Justin Henry (the little boy) from "Kramer Vs Kramer"

3) Benicio Del Toro (Best Supporting Actor - Traffic) 2000
He beat out Albert Finney in "Erin Brockovich" and Joaquin Phoenix in "Gladiator"

4) Michael Caine (Best Supporting Actor - The Cider House Rules) 1999
He beat out Jude Law in "The Talented Mr. Ripley"

5) Russell Crowe (Best Actor - Gladiator) 2000
He beat out Tom Hanks in "Cast Away"

----------

Here is a short list of nominated actors who should have walked away with an Oscar but didn't (this list does not mean they lost to an undeserving winner):

1) Brad Pitt (Best Supporting Actor - 12 Monkeys) 1995
Lost to Kevin Spacey in "The Usual Suspects"

2) Sylvester Stallone (Best Actor - Rocky) 1976
Lost to Peter Finch in "Network"

3) Tom Cruise (Best Actor - Born on the Fourth of July) 1989
Lost to Daniel Day-Lewis in "My Left Foot"

4) Leonardo DiCaprio (Best Supporting Actor - What's Eating Gilbert Grape) 1993
Lost to Tommy Lee Jones in "The Fugitive"

5) Liam Neesen (Best Actor - Schindler's List) 1993
Lost to Tom Hanks in "Philadelphia"