Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Two Weeks Notice

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-02, 12:53 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Two Weeks Notice

Just saw this at one of the 'sneak showings' which are not really sneak showings.

Started off bad by the usual 10 minutes of ads, including 1 for Taken on Sci-Fi Starting December 2, and one for the taking of joe blow or some kid starring ally sheedy on courttv and airing december 4.

And then only 1 preview for Not Yet a Girl I think it's called about an american kid who finds her dad, colin firth is a lord in england or something like that.

The movie itself I enjoyed, it's the usual light fare from both hugh and sandra, who seemed to gel well.

It's totally predictable in that we all know what's going to happn, the basic premise has been used a thousand times over.

But if you like either Sandra Bullock or Hugh Grant movies you will enjoy this.
Old 12-15-02, 12:55 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Just did a search on eBay for TWN and there are apparently Oscar ads in the trades for Sandra, and hugh and the movie.

It certainly does not warrant that, or it maybe warrant's it as much as marisa tomei in my cousin vinny
Old 12-21-02, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you've seen the trailer, you've basically seen "Two Week's Notice" starring Sandra Bulloch and Hugh Grant.

While Hugh Grant employs the same delivery with his dialog in just about every movie he's in, that's what the audience wants, so he gives it to them. I suppose you can say the same about Sandra Bulloch's performances. Pair up these two movie stars, and you get a really low energy romantic comedy that just has a lot of small chuckles from mainly Hugh Grant's character's assessment of the current event at hand. There's nothing too magical about any part of the film, and it's just an okay way to spend 90 minutes or so (mainly as a date movie).

I give it a generous 2 stars or a grade of C.
Old 12-22-02, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with Patman--2 stars. Although I agree that Hugh Grant and Sandra Bullock have "chemistry," that just wasn't enough to make this film work.

It was like watching a made-for-TV movie with big name stars! No surprises with a totally predicatable script!
Old 12-22-02, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My daughter is going to have her BDay party at the movie theater and then we are going to see "2 Weeks Notice".

Is the movie ok for girls that 11 years old? I do not want to freek any moms out with a movie that has tons of 4 letter words or semi nudity.

Please do not flame me, I just want to know how many 4 lettered words and sex jokes are in the movie.

Thanks from an dad that needs some info.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.
Old 12-23-02, 09:08 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

No nudity, there is a little inuendo, no people in bed together, although one character walks around with her bra and undies on.

Nothing that would appear to be too over the top, and no swearing as I can remember
Old 12-23-02, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hugh Grant and Sandra Bullock in a "used a thousand times" romace comedy plot?

I think I'll pass on this thank you.
Old 12-23-02, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by pixyboi
Hugh Grant and Sandra Bullock in a "used a thousand times" romace comedy plot?

I think I'll pass on this thank you.
Exactly! How many times can one watch Sandra Bullock trip, laugh and snort, fall into schrubs, wear a clown's nose (!?), etc. etc. It's all just so painful.

I actually like Sandra Bullock. But her movies are insufferable. I wish she'd choose smarter projects.
Old 12-23-02, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Daytripper
Exactly! How many times can one watch Sandra Bullock trip, laugh and snort, fall into schrubs, wear a clown's nose (!?), etc. etc. It's all just so painful.

I actually like Sandra Bullock. But her movies are insufferable. I wish she'd choose smarter projects.
Can't really say I've seen much of her.. but when I first saw this trailer my first thought was "Great.. 2 washed up actors together.." though that just might have been my hatred for Hugh Grant overflowing to Ms Bullock as well.
Old 12-23-02, 11:19 AM
Banned

Could there be two bigger cold fish than Hugh Grant and Sandra Bullock? I'll skip this one
Old 12-23-02, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by pixyboi
Can't really say I've seen much of her.. but when I first saw this trailer my first thought was "Great.. 2 washed up actors together.." though that just might have been my hatred for Hugh Grant overflowing to Ms Bullock as well.
Well, when I caught the preview for "Two Weeks Notice" and saw Sandra Bullock with that damn clown nose on, first I moaned, then I thought of "Patch Adams". Not good.

As far as Hugh Grant is concerned, I enjoyed him a great deal in "Notting Hill". And he was outstanding in "About a Boy". Which I'm glad to see is on a lot of the critics year end top 10 lists. It's a great film. And look for Grant to get a best actor nomination (I bet).
Old 12-23-02, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And (forgot about this earlier) Grant was also great in "Bridget Jones". He practically stole the movie from the rest of the cast. And looking back, I personally think his movies and performances have been mostly good. He's not my favorite by any stretch. But he's also not as bad as Sandra Bullock.
Old 12-23-02, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
although one character walks around with bra and undies on.

Was it Sandra or Hugh?
Old 12-23-02, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It was Alicia Witt!
Old 12-24-02, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Daytripper

I actually like Sandra Bullock. But her movies are insufferable.
Never has a better word been used as a descriptor for a film than 'insufferable.' Bullock and Grant (especially the former) need new agents and need to STOP with all the fluff........it's downright painful.....
Old 12-24-02, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Saw it tonight. Iron_Giant, if you're still looking for opinions, BadlyDrawnBoy gave a pretty accurate description. There is a good deal of sexual innuendo including a scene where
Spoiler:
Bullock gets her hair caught in Grant's belt creating a sucky-sucky sight gag
and the scene with Alicia Witt prancing around in her undies. It they're mature girls, it's probably not a big deal, but there are a couple of moments that I guess gave it the PG-13 rating. Oh, and there's also a scene or two where Bullock discusses how great she is in bed ... how she's fiesty like a bobcat and can contort like a pretzel. Very light on swearing (if at all) and zero violence. Anyway, there you have it.

As for the film, I enjoyed it for what it was. When you go to see a movie like this, you know exactly what's going to happen at every turn. So, for me, enjoyment is based on whether I like the actors/characters enough to go along for the ride. I've always thought Grant was a fantastic actor and has a way go taking the most derivative story and gee-gollying his way into something entertaining. Bullock, while choosing some really bad roles, has a similar quality about her, and together they have decent enough chemistry to make this thing work.

Personally, I found it a bit refreshing that this wasn't the typical crap where the male lead is engaged to marry someone "perfect" for him but falls in love with the off-beat girl next door. I can't stand those films because I can't really care for characters who are so cheap with love. I liked Grant's character. For the most part, he was a pretty good guy. He slept with the bimbos who wanted to have some fun, and he was shallow when it came to interacting with others who were just as shallow, but he wasn't the evil guy whose heart is softened blah blah blah.

I didn't find it to be a very touching story, but I did enjoy it and had a few laughs. I guess I'd give it a B. It is what it is. It certainly could have been better, but for the same romantic comedy we've seen a million times, it wasn't too bad.

das