Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Chicago- the movie...just saw it!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-02, 09:02 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guyz!

Just saw a sneak preview of Chicago (with Catherine Zeta-Jones and Richard Gere) last night. VERY VERY good movie! I actually didn't remember the play well enough to compare the two but I was totally hooked for a little less than 2 hours. The music was fantastic and once you get over Gere actually singing you're ok Again, very fast moving...but I was wondering how many people are interested in seeing it. There hasn't been a lot of publicity from what I've seen.

Plus i'm just personally curious as to how many guys are going to be dragged by their girlfriends to see this...(since most of the people on this board are male)...
Old 12-13-02, 09:09 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
saw the play, I am being slightly apprehensive since Gere is in it, but I still want to see this.
Old 12-13-02, 09:18 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Don't know a thing about the play but will likely go see it during the holidays
Old 12-13-02, 09:24 AM
Banned

His first performance number isn't a show stopper and even drew a few giggles from the audience but once you get past that...he's actually very good and charismatic. I think the funny part was just seeing him perform like a musical theater actor. I don't think he was bad...it just wasn't Richard Gere. It was sorta....queer. And i mean that in the literal sense.
Old 12-13-02, 09:34 AM

Originally posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
Don't know a thing about the play but will likely go see it during the holidays
Yeah, that why they call it "Chicago - The Movie" and not the original: "Chicago - The Broadway Musical"
Old 12-13-02, 10:40 AM
Banned

Have to say my one HUGE problem with the movie is the fact that the theater decided to show it in MONO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was going to complain to the theater when I got too wrapped up in the movie to get out of my seat and miss some of it. Luckily i was sitting close enough and it was loud enough that i just tried to ignore it. But it did sound completely flat without those wonderful speakers on. I just don't understand how this can happen especially considering there are reps from the movie companies at these screenings.
Old 12-13-02, 12:17 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sneak Previews always seem to be in MONO these days. I guess they don't have the final mix finnished yet. That's why I only go to free sneak previews, I would never pay money for an inferior presentation
Old 12-13-02, 01:30 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Pants
Sneak Previews always seem to be in MONO these days. I guess they don't have the final mix finnished yet. That's why I only go to free sneak previews, I would never pay money for an inferior presentation
Really? I've never had that problem. Even with it opening in less than 2 weeks...they wouldn't have the mix finished???

weird.
Old 12-13-02, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
My wife is going to drag me to this. I loathe film musicals, but I wouldn't mind watching Chicago on stage.
Old 12-13-02, 04:26 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love musicals, but this looks like complete siht
Old 12-13-02, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
One one had, I think, "capitalizing on the success of Moulin Rouge!" and on the other hand, "Chicago is a great musical... would be interesting to see what they do with it in a movie..."

Atleast it's not CATS!
Old 12-13-02, 05:21 PM

"I laughed, I cried, it was better than CATS"

or

"I laughed, I cried, I almost peed in my pants"
Old 12-27-02, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I went to the first showing of CHICAGO today at the Ziegfeld Theater here in Manhattan.

In a word - fantastic! I love the Broadway show, and have been unimpressed with so many film versions of great musicals, so I was ready to be super-critical. The movie won be over from the start, and held me through to the very end of the credits. I think this is one that will actually appeal to even those who "hate" musicals.

Audience reaction? Well, there was applause at the end of EVERY musical number, and on the last fade-out, people starting cheering and applauding like crazy. Yeah, I think most liked it.

Simply put: not to be missed.
Old 12-27-02, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is this movie sort of like moulin rouge just by a different director as with the ultra fast cutting. and i can not imagin richard gere dancing and singing but it looks like it is possible.

oh yeah, my mom really wants to see this but hasnt seen moulin rouge or the play yet, should she watch either before she sees this.
Old 12-27-02, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ok, to start things off, I HATE Richard Gere. Can't stand him. The only movie I have ever liked that he was in was Primal Fear and that was more because of Edward Norton than Gere.

That being said....I loved Chicago and I loved Gere in it. Caught it at the only theater it was showing in the Twin Cities today and it was fantastic. Kept me involved from beginning to end and I had to keep myself from applauding after every musical number.

I don't generally like stage musicals and there are only certain film musicals that I like (Singin' in the Rain, Moulin Rouge, Grease) but this one excited and entertained me. I actually went in prepared to hate it (and I still wasn't sure halfway through Zellwegger's first musical number if I liked it or not) but it won me over.

So to sum it up, go and see this if you get the chance. I started to hate the idea when I first heard about it, hated the casting when I heard about it, hated the attention it received from the Golden Globes, hated the glowing reviews it was getting, and then decided to see it and see if I actually hated it as much as I did in my mind. Sometimes things like that just happen I guess.

Now it's one of my favorite films this year.
Old 12-27-02, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
when does this movie open nation wide?
Old 12-27-02, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Giles
"I laughed, I cried, it was better than CATS"

or

"I laughed, I cried, I almost peed in my pants"
::falling into deep trance:: I LOVED IT! IT WAS MUCH BETTER THAN CATS! I'M GOING TO SEE IT AGAIN AND AGAIN!
Old 12-28-02, 11:17 AM
Banned

I saw it for the second time last night...at the Ziegfeld in nyc as well. 12:30am show...and it was PACKED. Applause after almost every number. And sooooooo much better with an actual surround track.

Brilliant.
Old 12-28-02, 01:18 PM
Banned

Theres no better review than a review like Badges. Skeptic won over and actually admits it.

I am looking forward to this.
Old 12-28-02, 01:52 PM

Sorry, but musicals just don't do it for me. It was an endurance to get through Moulin Rouge. I'm not about to do that to myself again.
Old 12-28-02, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Is Chicago playing in Chicago itself?
Old 12-28-02, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by C.H.U.D.
Sorry, but musicals just don't do it for me. It was an endurance to get through Moulin Rouge. I'm not about to do that to myself again.

I agree. I won't be seen anywhere near this one. I hope turning every Broadway musical into a movie doesn't become the next Hollywood trend.....
Old 12-28-02, 10:56 PM
Banned

I hated Moulin Rouge and ADORE Chicago. But I also loved the show.

FYI...saw it again today. Third time.

Can't wait to get the soundtrack. Already bought the broadway one in anticipation.

The best part about it is that I haven't heard one bad thing from anyone who has seen it. Everyone leaving the theater...all of my friends who have seen it...they all completely adore it.
Old 12-28-02, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
when does this movie open nation wide?
Just saw an ad for this on television a few minutes ago. Gonna be a wait for most people as this opens wide January 24.
Old 12-29-02, 12:24 AM
Banned

Originally posted by badger1997
Just saw an ad for this on television a few minutes ago. Gonna be a wait for most people as this opens wide January 24.
Which means for me, I'm gonna wait for it on DVD . I'll be living in Burly by then with our 5 screen movie theater and one other small moive theater.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.