Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Bringing down the house" fo' shizzy!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-02, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.apple.com/trailers/touchs...nthehouse.html

Fo' Shizzle my Nizzle's, You best be check'n out dis trailer dats' all Crazy whack funky Word! Now I be sayin' dat dis movie wazznt made fo' nothin' but da bling bling, if you know what I meanz. Check out my homie Smokey stevie turn all gangsta like. That wigga aint is all playin' da fool!

Check youself...into a Mofo theater sumtime in 2003 (Release Date TBA 2003) Fo' Bringing down the house" BOOOO-YAAAH!!

TRANSLATION:

Hello all. Wow, check this trailer out for another great Martin comedy, which I'm sure steve did for the money. Look at him acting like a white gangster, pretty silly if you ask me.

Should be coming out in 2003 sometime (Release date TBA 2003) remember, the movie to ignore is "Bringing down the house"

(the fact that I took the time to post this very silly thread about this terrible looking film is disturbing to me. )
Old 12-12-02, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got tickets to a test screening for this back about 2 months ago. I passed on them, the movie didn't sound interesting. And at the time it was called "Bringing Down the Houze" . Yikes.
Old 12-12-02, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Dat be wack yo. You can look at tha picture and tell dat dis will be a film for the short bus heads. no real G is gonna rocka red shirt under a blue jersey, you can get gatted up by both tribes pullin dat bullshyt on my set.

Trans.

That film is awful. You can clearly see by what he is wearing in the picture that this is for dumb people. No real thug would wear those two colors together you can get shot by the crips and the bloods in my neighborhood.

Old 12-12-02, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Sprinkle me some of that game.

Translation:

Old 12-12-02, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by littlefuzzy
Sprinkle me some of that game.

Translation:

I'm still trying to figure that one out myself I was out of town and I may have missed the new 2003 ebonics terms memo
Old 12-13-02, 12:22 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I watched the trailer and I think it looks pretty funny
Old 12-13-02, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hahaha.. fa sheezy mah neezy
Old 12-13-02, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if he drives an Accord Type R with fins and a stripe in the movie.
Old 02-19-03, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i worked on this film and am very excited to be seeing it this weekend... assuming the sneak preview isn't sold out by the time i get there!

if ya'll is intrsted, look for an "Office Production Assistant" (or something similar) w/ the last name Robertson. that's me.
-di doctor-
Old 02-19-03, 06:41 PM
Banned

what does this original poster mean in english please?
Old 02-19-03, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hear you blood.
Old 02-20-03, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Yo fools this threezey be off duh heazey, Jack be duh whackest mo-fo dis sizzle of the DV-Dizzle bizzle muh dizzle. fo'shizzle.
Old 02-20-03, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

[sarcasm]I hope someone else jokingly talks in ebonics. The joke isn't old yet. [/sarcasm]
Old 02-20-03, 09:29 PM

No real thug would wear those two colors together you can get shot by the crips and the bloods in my neighborhood.
So the crips and the bloods have invaded Lexington, Ky have they? I'll have to watch my back from now on when I visit my family.
Old 03-05-03, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I saw this last nite, and it was pretty funny. I only saw it because my wife wanted to, but was pleasantly surprised. There were a couple of funny scenes that went on too long, but overall it is still the funniest movie I have seen in a few months. This is easily funnier than Old School.
Old 03-05-03, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by cdollaz
but overall it is still the funniest movie I have seen in a few months. This is easily funnier than Old School.
really?!? good to know since i had totally dismissed it as being a waste of time. it just looked embarrassing!
Old 03-05-03, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by hgar78
really?!? good to know since i had totally dismissed it as being a waste of time. it just looked embarrassing!
Yeah, I was quite surprised. I'm not a Queen Latifah or Steve Martin and went to see it because it was free, but I liked it quite a bit. There are some funny secondary characters (Betty White especially).
Old 03-05-03, 10:52 AM
Banned

Let me start out by saying that I saw this a couple months ago and then more recently I just saw it on monday. I will now say this is quite possibly the worst movie I've seen in a long time.

Here's why:

1. The racism - ok, I'm a middle class white college boy, but I can still be offended by this. I thought it was really ridiculous and out of the times to have people like Betty White's character and an older woman who has a ton of money in the movie to be constantly degrading blacks and minorities. I found it really harsh and just totally not necessary. That took me completely out of the movie to begin with. There is even a line where a character asks Steve Martin who he's talking to and he says "noone". SHe then responds by saying "Oh, I thought I heard negro." Also the aforementioned old rich woman constantly goes into slave stories from her childhood. I mean, come on...she must have grown up in the 30's or 40's...there ain't no way that she should be talking like this!

2. Queen Latifah - we all saw your amazing performance in Chicago and all you did in this movie was shake your boobs around and talk all "black" all the time.

3. Steve Martin - dont worry, I'll never forget you in "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles". Just please get back there at some point and dont do more of these "for the money" movies.

4. THe Movie itself. THe plot really didnt even know where it was going as it constantly changed from a love story about one person getting back his wife, to helping the kids with their problems, to helping Latifah with trying to get out a robbery charge. It just felt like they couldnt develop any of the characters throughout the movie and therefore had to keep switching to new ones.

5. The supporting cast - Michael Rosenbaum (Lex on smallville) and his helpers at the law firm are those movie examples of "powerful rich lawyers who really dont do anything except try to get rid of one of their colleagues by screwing him over and trying to frame things on him". That stupid plot was over a LONG time ago people, move on.

The good: Eugene Levy. "The cool points are out the window and you got me all twisted up in the game". That man is hilarious all the time! BRING BACK GREG THE BUNNY!

Last edited by Max Fischer; 03-05-03 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-05-03, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Max Fischer

1. The racism - ok, I'm a middle class white college boy, but I can still be offended by this. I thought it was really ridiculous and out of the times to have people like Betty White's character and an older woman who has a ton of money in the movie to be constantly degrading blacks and minorities. I found it really harsh and just totally not necessary. That took me completely out of the movie to begin with. There is even a line where a character asks Steve Martin who he's talking to and he says "noone". SHe then responds by saying "Oh, I thought I heard negro." Also the aforementioned old rich woman constantly goes into slave stories from her childhood. I mean, come on...she must have grown up in the 30's or 40's...there ain't no way that she should be talking like this!
Those are some of the funniest parts in the movie. They are characters in the movie who are racist. Doesn't mean that the movie is racist. The racist characters are portrayed as idiots and bad people, so what's the problem???
Old 03-05-03, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Max Fischer

And it's by no way "out of the times." There ARE people around just like that. In fact, I saw a clip on this Comedy Central special last night and Betty White's character so reminds me of my father-in-law and my great-grandmother (one of which still uses Negro and the other who calls any person of color "those people.") Sad as it may seem, there are still plenty of people out there who are racist and just because they have a character like that in the movie, shouldn't label the movie itself as racist.
Old 03-05-03, 11:37 PM
Banned

Ah yes I see, racism and comedy two subjects that should never be included in the same sentence nor a movie. Every single movie that has attempted this has failed miserably you would think they would learn. Now I haven't seen the movie and probably never will but already I can tell that I would be turned off. And the person who said that it was better than 'Old School' well, sir, that is where you and I disagree.
Old 03-06-03, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by lesterlong
Now I haven't seen the movie and probably never will but already I can tell that I would be turned off. And the person who said that it was better than 'Old School' well, sir, that is where you and I disagree.
You disagree when you haven't even seen the movie. <Dr. Evil> Riiiggghhht </Dr. Evil>
Old 03-06-03, 12:22 PM
Banned

I'm not saying that it can't be done in a funny way, what I'm trying to say is that the way that it was portrayed is just so outdated and not funny at all to me. I just felt that it was unappropriate for the actors themselves to have stooped to that level. It just wasn't funny.
Old 03-06-03, 12:44 PM
Banned

You gonna love the new chris rock movie where he's the president.
Old 03-06-03, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Indy Jones Fan
So the crips and the bloods have invaded Lexington, Ky have they? I'll have to watch my back from now on when I visit my family.
I don't know about Bloods but there are a few "Crip" sets out on the Northend of town in Winburn (my old 'hood) Most are a bunch of wannabes but when in groups they are dangerous.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.