Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Vanilla Sky Discussion ***SPOILERS***

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Vanilla Sky Discussion ***SPOILERS***

Old 03-23-04, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Re: Your interpretation of "Vanilla Sky" ? (SPOILERS)

Originally posted by uNCSUcks
Never noticed this, where does this occur in the film?
In the beginning i believe... Crowe points it out in the commentary
Old 03-24-04, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i've wondered, does anything other then the story cause the dream (LE) to go bad other than the plot?

and.... since it is a dream, why even bother with remembering the accident and disfiguration?
Old 03-24-04, 12:43 AM

But now I'm not too sure. Could everything be real until the point when David gets woken up on the sidewalk by Penelope Cruz's character? I've listened to bits of commentary and Crow says that's where his lucid dream begins...

It's been a while since I've seen it, but I'm pretty sure that in Abre los ojos that point is specifically pointed out as being where it started.
Old 03-24-04, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ It is.
Old 03-24-04, 08:58 AM
Suspended

the splice is pointed out, but there are other interpretations of the movie. I like the one that the whole movie itself is Brian's story about the sour and the sweet... Or David (Cruise) could just be in a coma after the car accident and he wakes up from the coma in the end... in any case, I love this movie
Old 03-24-04, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Re: Your interpretation of "Vanilla Sky" ? (SPOILERS)

Originally posted by Darkfriend
Could everything be real until the point when David gets woken up on the sidewalk by Penelope Cruz's character?
Yes. I thought that was explained pretty well by Tech Support and I hadn't even considered "other interpretations"
Old 03-24-04, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by balancer
the splice is pointed out, but there are other interpretations of the movie. Or David (Cruise) could just be in a coma after the car accident and he wakes up from the coma in the end... in any case, I love this movie
I like this one! Very interesting.

I never noticed the Feb 30th date thing....but it's very clear on the DVD when the splice happens. You can hear the sound of film rolling as he wakes up and sees Sophia on the sidewalk. And the reason he remembers the accident and Julie is because he chose to have the splice happen AFTER the accident and after Julie.
Old 03-14-05, 04:37 PM
Banned

VANILLA SKY! Ending QUESTION GRRRR

ok people here i go!

towards the end .... it shows (tom cruise) killing himself with prescription drugs, and whats got me puzzled is that Tech support mention that he dies then at the end end he wakes up (150 years) in the future~~~ dead or alive????

whats going on!!!! i understand the rest of the movie but thats got me puzzled!!!
Old 03-14-05, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
He didn't die. He was near death. It's the future. They were able to revive him. It's not that complicated, and if you're worrying about plot issues like that, you're missing the point of the movie.
Old 03-14-05, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Also, this relates to the movie, not the DVD. Wrong forum.
Old 03-14-05, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
probaby better placed in the movie forum (as it deals specifically with the plot of the movie). cruise's character
Spoiler:
did die and was revived in the future. specifically he says (i believe) -- "somebody died -- it was me"
or something to that effect.

kms

(spoiler tags added just in case)
Old 03-14-05, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 181 Posts
Did you miss the scene where the Tech Support guy pulls Tom Cruise aside in the elevator and explains the entire movie to him, point-by-point? It's kind of hard to imagine that you can't figure out the ending when it is explained in no uncertain terms in dialogue.
Old 03-14-05, 07:18 PM

I thought they left the ending sort of to your imagination? Maybe I missed it...from what I got he had been in some kind of mental coma, and then he finally gets his mind to accept it and pulls himself out.
Old 03-14-05, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This movie was totally unrealistic. The tech support guy wasn't Indian and he was comprehensible.
Old 03-14-05, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Shazam
This movie was totally unrealistic. The tech support guy wasn't Indian and he was comprehensible.
You're not thinking far enough ahead. In the future, America will be the third-world country that other developed nations outsource their labor and customer service divisions to.
Old 03-14-05, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by AberAber
I thought they left the ending sort of to your imagination? Maybe I missed it...from what I got he had been in some kind of mental coma, and then he finally gets his mind to accept it and pulls himself out.
I thought they did the same thing, open to interpretation. Left me confused as well.
Old 03-14-05, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
He's 'done' when he's lying on the street.

The company comes by and puts him in some cryogenics.

His supposed-dream world spins into a nightmare.

Tech support wakes him up at the end, to live out the rest of his life.

The only possible open ended question is "will he live with his scars, or has there been some advancement that fixes it?"

The movie is not all that cryptic.
Old 03-14-05, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Z
You're not thinking far enough ahead. In the future, America will be the third-world country that other developed nations outsource their labor and customer service divisions to.
It's the circle of life, the circle of life.
Old 03-14-05, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by troystiffler
He's 'done' when he's lying on the street.

The company comes by and puts him in some cryogenics.

His supposed-dream world spins into a nightmare.

Tech support wakes him up at the end, to live out the rest of his life.

The only possible open ended question is "will he live with his scars, or has there been some advancement that fixes it?"

The movie is not all that cryptic.
when he's lying in the street, that is his "branch point" -- everything after that is erased from his memory. he dies in the hotel (?) room of suicide (he ingested all those pills).

kms
Old 03-14-05, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shazam
Old 03-14-05, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Josh Z
The tech support guy was aussie though!

How much of Josh's prediction is true or imagined? It's all in your own interpretation...
Old 03-14-05, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by kms_md
when he's lying in the street, that is his "branch point" -- everything after that is erased from his memory. he dies in the hotel (?) room of suicide (he ingested all those pills).

kms
You're right. I forgot about that point - haven't seen it since the theaters.
Old 03-14-05, 10:28 PM

Or you could believe everything after the crash was a dream with tom cruise in a comatose state, and the tech guy is really his subconsious telling him to wake up from the coma. If you notice their is a commericial for life extention (LE) when he is watching tv with penelope cruz before the car wreck. The movie works on multiple theories and levels, I love movies that lets the audience interpret it for themselves. I think the underlining theme of the movie is consequences. Life is like a choose your own adventure book, and he chose to get into the car with the psycho girl. In the end instead of living a dream and pretending it didn't happen, he decided to finally accept the truth and live with it.
Old 03-18-05, 05:43 AM
WOG
Cool New Member

What a great film, wouldnt it be good if they make a sequal~~~~ anythings possible!!!!
Old 03-18-05, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You should watch Open Your Eyes. They give even more explanation in the original than the remake.

Personally I found all the explanation redundant in both movies.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.