Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

A.I. Discussion

Old 12-11-02, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A.I. Discussion

I watched this for the first time last night and I must say what a hauntingly beautiful movie this is. I picked it up months ago since I found it $11 new but never got around to watching it. I did know that there were so many complaints about the ending, so I was prepared for it whil watching and I must say "WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!" I was totally expecting some sugar coated happy sappy ending with all the whining I head and what there really was was a surreal bittersweet, melancholy ending. I'm really curious as to what people thought was wrong with the ending? Was it because he got his wish, so to speak? He got to spend one day with his mother, but then what? Did he become real? He did fall asleep, so if that's the case, he's now a real boy and alone in a world of ice with aliens. Yes very happy indeed. Or what, he got his wish but now he's still a mecha and the only one left, with only strange aliens for company, and the eternal mind of a child.. hmm..
Old 12-11-02, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A lot of people felt the movie had a natural ending when it fades to black after the robot boy traps the sub-chopper at the bottom of the ocean.

While I admit that the ending can seem a bit taked on and superfluous, and that it is a bit out of character with the rest of the film, it provides a nice ending to the character arc, and I like it. I also like the way that "circles" or "completion" seems to be an underlying theme with this movie, and the extra bit at the end ties in nicely.
Old 12-11-02, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Been There, Done That
Old 12-11-02, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by einTier
A lot of people felt the movie had a natural ending when it fades to black after the robot boy traps the sub-chopper at the bottom of the ocean.

While I admit that the ending can seem a bit taked on and superfluous, and that it is a bit out of character with the rest of the film, it provides a nice ending to the character arc, and I like it. I also like the way that "circles" or "completion" seems to be an underlying theme with this movie, and the extra bit at the end ties in nicely.
Hmm.. I suppose the movie COULD end there, but it would've been kind of a let down in my opinion. The parts after that did feel out of tone with the rest of the movie (though, honestly, the movie took strange turns more than once so I guess it's not too strange) in a sense, but not so much to "ruin" the movie as I've heard many times. I'll have to find the time to watch it again and fully take everything in a second time. The ending did offer a sense of closure while still leaving that possiblity of what happens next aire.
Old 12-11-02, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Patman
Been There, Done That
Thanks.. didn't see that when I searched for it (found several smaller discussions).. will be nice to read the previous thoughts.
Old 12-11-02, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

***Warning Spoilers***

I thought it should have ended when the boy said "Mommy" and took the plunge off the ledge. A down ending would have been much better. Like Dante said in Clerks, "It would have been so much more like real life."
Old 12-11-02, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i dunno if this thread is gonna get locked or not, but anyways-

i think the 'aliens' are actually supposed to be the evolved mecha.
at least thats what i've heard supposited elsewhere.

also, while the ending did seem superfluous, the bigger problem that i had with the movie the first time was
Spoiler:

i just didn't buy that the mother would want to initiate the bonding process or whatever it was called with the boy/mecha because he was portryed as being very creepy.
the vibe here just didn't feel right-that she would have been compelled, from the heart, to initiate this, when there was nothing to that point that was emotionally endearing about kid/robot.

upon a second viewing though, it struck me that maybe she didn't do it for reasons of the heart, but rather curiosity-to see how well he was in fact designed, if there was anything more to him than what she had already seen, etc- since she always had the option of having it taken away and destroyed if it didn't work out.

not a perfect film, but very interesting for its achievments and its flaws.
i was thinking about this the other day as i saw a commercial for Minority Report.
a movie i enjoyed more in the theater, but afterwards upon reflection, have more problems with than AI.
Old 12-11-02, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe it's because I just don't get the ending, but I liked it right up to where he met the man who created him. I really did expect it to end not too long after that. Him being with his "dad" and all that. I think it just rambled after that. I'll probably sell my copy of it.

On a different note, I'll probably try to find the book/story and see how it ends.
Old 12-11-02, 02:35 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by elektra
On a different note, I'll probably try to find the book/story and see how it ends.
The short story only covers the first little bit of the movie. A little boy is playing with his electronic teddy and the "twist" at the end is that the boy is a mecha himself. That's it.
Old 12-11-02, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: ***Warning Spoilers***

Originally posted by tdirgins
I thought it should have ended when the boy said "Mommy" and took the plunge off the ledge. A down ending would have been much better. Like Dante said in Clerks, "It would have been so much more like real life."
Down Ending does not equal Good Ending.

Ending it there would not have accomplished anything because we already know he can't drown.
Old 12-11-02, 03:10 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Re: ***Warning Spoilers***

Originally posted by pixyboi
Down Ending does not equal Good Ending.
You obviously are not between the ages of 16 and 22.
Old 12-11-02, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Re: ***Warning Spoilers***

Originally posted by Groucho
I would argue that my mindset is still very much in that range. But let's look at the movie that tdirgins horribly misquoted. You know the "original" ending to Clerks. Down ending. Shitty ending. Why do you think it was deleted. More or less people think that "down" endings are "cool" rather than good. It will always go to a case-by-case basis, but that mindset is quite retarded.
Old 12-11-02, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Watch this film as a fairy tale told by mechas to other mechas in the future, and it all makes sense. The problem is that you need to watch it twice to "get it" if you don't understand why the last part is not only needed, but it's vital to the tale being told.
Old 12-11-02, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by ckolchak
i dunno if this thread is gonna get locked or not, but anyways-

i think the 'aliens' are actually supposed to be the evolved mecha.
at least thats what i've heard supposited elsewhere.

Spoiler:

i just didn't buy that the mother would want to initiate the bonding process or whatever it was called with the boy/mecha
Those 'aliens' are indeed evolved mecha. They are not aliens at all, and if you pay attention, it's very clear that they are very evolved robots.

If you look at the end in a different light,
Spoiler:

She may not have been his mother at all.

Here is my thinking on the end:
The advanced mecha find one of the original mechas -- something that does not exist in their time and they have only historical record of. They bring him to life, and as benevolent beings, they want to make him happy. Unfortunately, due to his programming, the only way he can be happy is if he is loved by his original mother. Reprogramming him would destroy what he is, and they do not have the means to bring the person back. If you listen to the way the robot speaks about bringing someone back, it's as though he's making up a tale to satisfy David knowing that he doesn't have any DNA material of his "mother". Unfortunately, Teddy does have a lock of hair, and rather than admit to lying to David, the mecha invent a simulacra of his mother.

This satisfies a few things. First, it explains why she can't stay -- if David was given enough time with her, he'd realize that she too is really just a sophisticated mecha. Instead, his delight keeps him from questioning enough to realize the truth. It also makes David a happy robot, even though she does not stay with him forever.

That's my take on the ending. It's extremely bittersweet and much more than it appears on it's face.
[/spoiler]
Old 12-11-02, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a really dumb question here. If we are in a thread titled AI Discussion, which means were are discussing this movie, why are there spoilers? Isn't that a bit much?
Old 12-11-02, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: Re: ***Warning Spoilers***

Originally posted by Groucho

it's true, a down ending does not = good, however, with this film, the image of David eternally petioning the blue fairy...eternally hoping, eternally expecting- does say something about the human condition (although in a by now somewhat expected/cliched rod serlingesque way)

i waffled when i first post, Elektra.
yes a disscusion of the film does inherently imply spoilers.
i won't be using them from here on out.

einTier, i dunno about that intrepretation, but if it works for you...
Old 12-11-02, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's what I was thinking, discussion of movie means, you're discussing the content of the movie and if you haven't seen it and don't want anything given away, don't go in the thread!

Also, I thought again, that it could have ended with him in the copter staring at the Blue Fairy. Chock me up as one who thought the evolved mechas were aliens. Is this an assumption based on content of the movie (only saw it once a while ago), or is there more of a clue they are mechas?
Old 12-11-02, 04:37 PM
Uber Member

Originally posted by elektra
I have a really dumb question here. If we are in a thread titled AI Discussion, which means were are discussing this movie, why are there spoilers? Isn't that a bit much?
If it doesn't say "spoilers inside" in the thread title, then operating under the policy of "better safe than sorry" is not an unreasonable conclusion.

It's also probably just a habit for some people.

ckolchak... it's been a while since I'd seen this movie, but in addition to her grief over the "loss" of her son, I thought there was a moment when he did reach her on an emotional level and he stopped seeming like such a creepy robot and more like a chance at having another little boy.
Old 12-11-02, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The simulation argument is interesting.. it would explain why he was able to cry and fall asleep at least.

Also, did anybody else think that David being given to Monica. his life with the family (ie: accidents and the Pinochio story-reading) and her "letting him go" into the world might have been an elaborate setup by Dr Hobby to see if David would embark on his journey to realize his "dream"?

I read the thread that Patman linked and nobody mentioned that theory and it's something I tought of while reading it.. when somebody mentioned how they couldn't beielve Monica would just "let him go" like that..

Hmm..
Old 12-11-02, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you watch it as evolved mechas at the end, I think the ending works.

I liked this excellent, flawed movie.
Old 12-11-02, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How about the evolved mechas telling the entire story? I need to check it out, but somebody did mention that a reflection or something form the start of the movie was of those mecha, and the opening narration was the same voice as the mecha that talked to David at the end.
Old 12-11-02, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by pixyboi
How about the evolved mechas telling the entire story? I need to check it out, but somebody did mention that a reflection or something form the start of the movie was of those mecha, and the opening narration was the same voice as the mecha that talked to David at the end.
Very true. This is a story being told by evolved mechas. Just watch the beginning.... on a second viewing it becomes clearer.
Old 12-11-02, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
A few things.

1) Those are definitely highly evolved mechas at the end. Aliens do not exist in the universe of this film, they have never been mentioned nor hinted at previously in the film. They are nth generation mechas who found this relic, David, of their past while looking for their creator, Dr. Hobby, who they only know as The Creator. David is the closest they will ever get to Dr. Hobby.

2) My theory on the ending: Not only did the advanced mechas not really clone David's "mother", they didn't even create a simulacra, they only created a sort of virtual reality for David. Notice how hazy everything is in this version of the house compared to the actual house in the beginning of the film. A somewhat ambivalent, truly melancholic ending, and the one Kubrick wanted.

3) Did anyone else notice the simularities between the advanced mechas at the end and the first shot we see of David when he is standing in the elevator, bathed in harsh white light? The lack of focus of the camera gives the illusion he has an elongated head and long skinny neck, much like the mechas at the end.
Old 12-11-02, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts
I love A.I.

There. I said it.

-Rich
Old 12-11-02, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Damn! This means I'll have to rewatch it a second time to see if I have truly missed something. Like I said earlier, I did like the beginning of the film. I find it was immensly creative.

Blade - you're such a pappa smurf! Uhhh, except you don't look like a blue hairball that the cat coughed up.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.