Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Need HELP for paper!! How do films impact American Society?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-02, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to do a paper on how films impact American society, and I need help on how to do this. I want to mention the North Hollywood Bank Robbery that happened in '96 and relate it to Heat. Also, I remember there was a killing after Scream came out and the kids said they were influenced by Scream. Also, female bank robbers were arrested and in their home they found a copy of Set It Off. A movie about female bank robbers. And lastly the kids from Columbine being influenced by Natural Born Killers. Can anyone point me in the direction of some websites that could help me out? Or suggest what i should mention in the paper. Any suggestions would help me out.
Old 12-08-02, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well, for years movie theatres have had to beef up security in big cities when a "so-called black movie" opens for fear of some
sort of violence erupting.

Boyz n the Hood and Menace II Society come to mind.

some of our leaders have tried to tell us that violent movies
make kids react violently
Old 12-08-02, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So many criminals have blamed Natural Born Killers for influencing their crimes its become cliche.

The Matrix was believed to have influenced the Columbine shooting because of the trenchcoats worn by Neo and Trinity.
Old 12-08-02, 09:11 PM

Is it for a film class? If so, i'd suggest focusing on film and its role in propogating/refuting the dominant ideology would be better recieved. That would require a fair bit of research tho, but film profs/TAs eat that stuff up.

However, in line with what you want, you could focus on all the furor that conservative elements have caused over fantasy movies like Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings/Dungeons and Dragons (that has more to do with the game than the movie).

You could also focus on the vampire thing, how people actually drink blood for sexual gratification.
Old 12-09-02, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Films impact american society in so many more ways then a few nuts copying things directly.

If your assignment was simply to do something on films that have impacted society, then I think citing direct copys shows, is the easy way out. If you go beyond that, you'll probably get a better mark.

How about doing something on how a film, or films, has changed someones opinons? wasn't there a film about the dealth penelty, where shortly after it was shown, many states stopped (for a time) the death penelty because it effected people's opinons so much?
Old 12-09-02, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
Who can go swimming on the ocean without having that haunting John Williams music playing in the back of their minds?
Old 12-09-02, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by Robert

The Matrix was believed to have influenced the Columbine shooting because of the trenchcoats worn by Neo and Trinity.
I think Columbine happened before the Matrix came out.
Old 12-09-02, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Look for these articles:

"Unnatural Killers" by John Grisham
"Memo to John Grisham: What's Next - 'A Movie Made Me Do It'?" by Oliver Stone

They are argumentative essays on how much two kids were influenced by Natural Born Killers.
Old 12-09-02, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have seen Basketball Diaries blamed for this. However, as a general rule films don't influence society more than society influences films (as films tend to reflect current society).

Originally posted by Robert

Last edited by mcarver; 12-09-02 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-09-02, 02:44 PM

yeah the matrix definately influenced the columbine killings. because you know, the fact that they outright stated on their webpage, in their home video, and in their death letter that the bullying was their "reason" must have nothing to do with it.

instead, when they saw neo wearing that black trench coat (that the trenchcoat mafia had been wearing 2 years previous to the matrix release mind you) they said "wow that's a really awesome trench coat, let's go kill everyone!!! with a techno music themed background."
Old 12-09-02, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Look up info on Errol Morris' The Thin Blue Line. It may have influenced getting an innocent man out of jail.
Old 12-09-02, 03:24 PM
Banned

Jeffrey Dahmer said RETURN OF THE JEDI made him do his killings....
Old 12-10-02, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not sure if you have the same stories in the US, but TIME magazine in Europe has the Two Towers on the cover, and there is a supporting story that attempts to make some connection between fantasy films and post Sept 11 society.

To be honest I felt it was a bunch of crap :-) BUT, its good to have all kinds of sources when writing a paper. If you would like a copy I'll see if I can find it online for you. Let us know.

You should post your report when you are done. Would be nice to read it.
Old 12-10-02, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i was watching BBC once

and they said that a study proves that car chases in America have increased, ever since they started televising car chases.

and the commentator's were like, obviously!

it's common sense people, what we show, what we watch, what we direct, influences us.

in scandinavia, they divert their excess energy into extreme sports.
Old 12-10-02, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 960 Likes on 667 Posts
let me guess...the paper is due real soon
I suggest you refine your paper and do it on one aspect of influence that films have on society. but that's a given. it seems that you are interested in the effect of violent movies on society but that will be extremely difficult to support (if you have to support a stance) if you just have to report on it then it will be very easy. Definately look into the whole John Grisham Natural Born Killers thing because that represents two very different oppinions on how to protray violence in film.