Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Your real opinion of Ben Affleck

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What is your opinion of Ben Affleck?
He's an awesome actor and deserves starring roles in major films. In fact, while he's taking over from Harrison Ford, why not have him star in the next Indiana Jones?
13.18%
He's okay, but I wouldn't see a movie just because he's in it.
71.32%
He lacks talent and audience appeal. Will he please stop making movies before he ruins the next Tom Clancy?
21.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-02, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are your opinions on Ben Affleck? I am suprised at the big name roles he's landed, and at People's proclamation that he is "The sexiest man on earth." In my opinion his acting skills are mediocre at best, and being a female I can certainly name a LONG list of sexier actors. He fails to make a connection with the audience, and has no outstanding qualities that I can see.
Old 12-03-02, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know, I don't know what I think of the guy. I love his roles in Kevin Smith films, and I don't hate the guy or anything.

Yet when I saw the Daredevil trailer, I said to myself "It's too bad Ben Affleck sucks"

I think I both like him and hate him.
Old 12-04-02, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I could take or leave him. He's certainly not a true thespian in any sense of the word, and I wouldn't dream of seeing a film solely due to the fact that he was starring in it. Sadly, like most typical American "stars", he's a good looking guy who with the right material can do an adequate job for the project at hand and can occasionally get asses in seats (bottom line for the suits) however, I'd never mistake him for one who can elevate material simply by his mere presence in a film. I'm not a big Kevin Smith fan, but he has gotten the best performance out of him thus far and subsequently created what is in my mind Smith's only truly honest piece of work (Chasing Amy).
Old 12-04-02, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I like the guy in KS movies, and ESPECIALLY in KS commentaries. He probably wouldn't put me in a seat just by being in a movie, but I'm certainly not going to not go because "oh that guy is iin it." Of course I don't feel anger or resentment toward any actor or actress so I guess I just can't get annoyed by someone who I don't even know personally.
Old 12-04-02, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Not much of a fan of his.
Old 12-04-02, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I like him even though I question some of his choices in roles. I really do think he is a good actor. I enjoyed him in Chasing Amy, Good Will Hunting and Changing Lanes. I mocked Bounce when it came out and just happened to wander through the room when my wife was watching it, watched it from the beginning the next day, and really enjoyed his performance in it.

Then again, i can see how some people can't stand him. I thought Pearl Harbor, and his performance in it, sucked, couldn't stand him in Armageddon or Sum of All Fears and don't really care to see him in Daredevil.

But then again, I have liked him enough in some good movies I love that I am willing to overlook the bombs now and then. But one thing we all have to agree on.....Affleck was da bomb in Phantoms.
Old 12-04-02, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by badger1997
But one thing we all have to agree on.....Affleck was da bomb in Phantoms.
Yup.

I dont have a problem with him. If he is in a movie i wanna see fine, if he's in one i dont want to see fine.

He's no different than any other actor out there and he doesnt get any better treatment from me than any other actor i see on screen.
Old 12-04-02, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I never have been a big fan of his, and when I heard he was the next Jack Ryan I was disgusted. Although i am a big Tom Clancy fan i refused to see it in the theater. Then, last week, a friend asked me to return the rental DVD to BB. It wasn't actually due till the next day so I watched it, not expecting anything. I actually thought it was good. He wasn't "Jack Ryan" but he was pretty OK.
Old 12-04-02, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

whoops, anyway, here is my opinion of ben, he is the next most probable contender for the 20-million dollar club (if he's not already there). so far nobody else seems to be really making the cut. which could be a good thing, because the era of the mega-star may be dying. and enter, the era of the mega-director
Old 12-04-02, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't see any movies just because a certain actor is in it. As for Ben, he's a decent actor, nothing special though.
Old 12-04-02, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
I think he's an okay actor. You really can't blame him for Pearl Harbor there were other issues going on that made it a bad film. Sum of All Fears was fine - I was more pissed at the changes they made from the book than his performance in it. Changing Lanes was pretty good as well. He didn't match Samuel L's acting skills but it wasn't a complete disaster. There are better actors that deserve to make the kind of money Ben's making but that's hollywood for you. Could he benefit from some acting classes - yep. Does he suck as badly as people think - nope (IMHO).
Old 12-04-02, 07:21 AM
Banned

Originally posted by UAIOE
I dont have a problem with him. If he is in a movie i wanna see fine, if he's in one i dont want to see fine.
These reflect my thoughts extremely. I am DEFINITELEY seeing Daredevil in the theaters because I love the characters. They would have to have Carrot Top play Matt Murdock to keep me away.

As far as Affleck goes: He’s cool. He’s no Olivier, but he’s no Casper Van Dien, either. You gotta give him that.
Old 12-04-02, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think he's a great actor, but I do enjoy watching his movies.
Old 12-04-02, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Armageddon - First movie I saw him in. Not terribly impressed. But then again, I don't think ANY major movie star could have saved that movie.

Pearl Harbor - Even more annoying in this one than Armageddon. Never really bought that midwestern accent. The attempts at comedy were more laughing AT him than WITH him.

Dogma - Pretty good in this one. But, his performance was mixed into an ensemble cast which was GREAT.

Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back - Probably the ONE bright spot in the movie where he takes shots at himself.

Ben Affleck - I could take him or leave him. Not really interested in any of his other movies. Will probably see Daredevil anyway.
Old 12-04-02, 08:16 AM

I pretty much like him. I guess I'm the black sheep in this group, since I liked him in Sum of All Fears and Armageddon. I even like Armageddon as a movie, which seems to go against the norm as well. I can't remember if I liked him in Pearl Harbor or not, but I didn't care much for the movie itself. I wouldn't see a movie for the sole fact that he's in it, but think to myself that it might be a good one, when I see him in the cast. Just my opinion.
Old 12-04-02, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I feel that Affleck is out of his element if he isn't in a Kevin Smith movie, or collaborating with Matt Damon. The one exception to the aforementioned statement is Changing Lanes. I thought that he was excellent in it.

Other than that I could take him or leave him.
Old 12-04-02, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He's OK. I wouldn't go out of my way to see a film just because he's in it, but it wouldn't stop me from seeing a film with him either.
Old 12-04-02, 09:55 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I'm indifferent towards the guy. Whether he's in a movie or not has no effect on me. However, he was awesome in Dazed and Confused!
Old 12-04-02, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ben Affleck only plays Ben Affleck in the movies.
Old 12-04-02, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd pick his buddy Matt any day.
Old 12-04-02, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I really liked him as an actor when I really liked Kevin Smith films. Now, I find myself incredibly tired of Kevin Smith (and I don't think Jersey Girl is gonna change that). I don't mind Affleck and would never stay away from a movie because of him, but I wouldn't go see a movie just because he's in it either...
Old 12-04-02, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He's sold out and has made lots of movies that appear to be lame fluff. And no I haven't seen all of his movies, but I think I'll take a pass on Forces of Nature and the other stuff he's made in the past three years. Changing Lanes might be better, but I don't really want to see it.

So, I think he's okay and can give good performances, but he should really do some good movies instead of just the ones that will pay him lots of money and be advertised as a Ben Affleck movie.
Old 12-04-02, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As we are both long-suffering members of Red Sox Nation, Ben Affleck gets from me.

Putting the aforementioned aside, I suppose I'd go with a "neutral, but on the right track towards a slight positive". I haven't seen all of his films, but (you are not alone DVDTalker Bechman 2000) I have enjoyed Armageddon (Affleck did a nice job along with Bruce Willis in that scene at the end), Sum of All Fears (he surpassed the expectations I had of him in the role of Jack Ryan), also Reindeer Games (but........maybe Charlize Theron should get most of the credit for that), and Shakespeare in Love (though he had only a small part). Haven't seen Changing Lanes yet. I didn't like Pearl Harbor but that wasn't his fault. I didn't like Good Will Hunting either but again not due to any fault of his (wait a sec., he was a co-writer along with Damon for that film right?, so...........I suppose that one was his fault ). His Kevin Smith films, in general, are not my cup of tea. As far as going to see a film with Affleck in it, I guess his presence doesn't really sway me one way or the other; it depends more on the entire film itself, and by my scorecard his winners outnumber his losers.
Old 12-04-02, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
OMG, Carrot Top as Daredevil would ROCK!
Old 12-04-02, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by The Bus
I'd pick his buddy Matt any day.
This is the summary of my analysis as well. Ben has a dimple, but Matt has thespian breadth, man...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.