Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Robocop

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-02, 09:23 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Robocop

Great sci-fi film needs it's own thread right. So what do you guys think about this one.I think it's one of the best sci-fi films ever created,next to the star wars trilogy of course.It's funny and violent both at the same time and has some great special effects.Verhoeven's best film in my opinion.And how about that ending."Murphy".Classic!
Old 11-27-02, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Robocop 1 =

the rest = teh lame.
Old 11-27-02, 09:45 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Robocop 1 =

the rest = teh lame.
Old 11-27-02, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I only saw RoboCop 1. I really like it even though it's a bit bloody at times.
Old 11-27-02, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The first RoboCop is one of my all-time favorite films.

There has almost never been a movie that blended Science-Fiction, satire, pathos and social criticism to such a degree of success.

The film is actually more relevant today than it was in 1987, when I saw it 3 times theatrically.
Old 11-27-02, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Robocop 1 =

the rest = teh lame.

The arcade game was cool too
Old 11-27-02, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Great movie.

Kurtwood Smith, Miguel Ferrer, Ronny Cox: three great villains for the price of one!
Old 11-27-02, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
An awesome theme too. Its a shame that all these older movies from the 80's have such great and recognizable themes like Indiana Jones, Back to the Future, Robocop, Batman... and movies like X-Men and Spider-Man fall flat.
Old 11-27-02, 11:01 PM

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Why isn't the cartoon series on DVD???

Just joking....

Or am I?
Old 11-27-02, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They made a cartoon of Robocop?
Old 11-27-02, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
sadly to say it, but yes they did make a cartoon... *shudder* let us never speak of it again.
Old 11-28-02, 10:32 AM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally posted by movielib
Great movie.

Kurtwood Smith, Miguel Ferrer, Ronny Cox: three great villains for the price of one!

Clarence Boddicker (sp?) has got to be one of my all-time favorite villains.
Old 11-28-02, 10:44 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Geofferson

Clarence Boddicker (sp?) has got to be one of my all-time favorite villains.
"Can you fly,Bobby"
Old 11-28-02, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man I love this one, and the CC DVD rocks!

I saw this in the theater by "mistake" the movie I was going to see was sold out. This was a Twin theater and RoboCop was the only other movie. I had heard nothing about this movie (was it even advertised?) but thought that with a name like RoboCop it had to be some lame little kid movie (I didn't notice the rating). Big surprise! Good surprise!

Last edited by DeputyDave; 11-28-02 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-28-02, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

sadly to say it, but yes they did make a cartoon... *shudder* let us never speak of it again.

Can't be worse than Robocop: The Series. That was on TV about 6 years ago.
Old 11-28-02, 01:55 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Mopower
Can't be worse than Robocop: The Series. That was on TV about 6 years ago.
Old 11-28-02, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Oh man, the series was so awful. You know, I can't remember much of robocop 3, yet I remember seeing it. Maybe it's for the best.
Old 11-28-02, 02:39 PM

I would even go as far as to say that this is the highpoint of Verhoeven's American career. Starship Troopers is very good but I've always thought of Robocop as a masterpiece. The film's comments about the mentality and U.S. politics of the '80s were dead on.

The Criterion edition is the first DVD I bought, but I'm strongly considering upgrading to the MGM SE. Hope it receives a R1 release soon.
Old 11-28-02, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
I thought movie was great.... the ED209 was pretty cool... always thought it would be fun to have one... it would really keep those "unwanted people" away
Old 11-28-02, 02:59 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden

The Criterion edition is the first DVD I bought, but I'm strongly considering upgrading to the MGM SE. Hope it receives a R1 release soon.
Yeah i got the Criterion Edition too,but as far as an MGM SE goes it would have to have to be pretty loaded in order for me to upgrade.Then again who knows when it will happen.
Old 11-28-02, 04:20 PM

Well, it's already been released in R2 and R4, so we can safely assume the same extras (new commentary, excellent long documentary, both cuts of the film etc.) will find their way to the inevitable R1 edition too.
Old 11-28-02, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
I would even go as far as to say that this is the highpoint of Verhoeven's American career. Starship Troopers is very good but I've always thought of Robocop as a masterpiece. The film's comments about the mentality and U.S. politics of the '80s were dead on.
Agree 100% with your comments on Robocop, but I also think that Starship Troopers is a masterpiece that comments on the mindset of many Americans, and U.S. politics, during the Persian Gulf War.

cheers, Tony Block

ALSO, here's my post from 9-30-01 comparing the CC wit last years reg 1 MGM anamorphic & 5.1 release of RoboCop.

New RoboCop DVD reg 1 Pros & Cons of the new transfer.
The Pros

I just watched the new MGM RoboCop DVD last night and the clarity of the new anamorphic transfer is very good. I was blown away by scene after scene, the bathroom confrontation scene btw Dick Jones & Bob Morton is crystal clear, explosions like at the gas station are beautiful, the scene where you can see Bob Morton and the two hookers snort coke off his shiny coffee table is like looking at them in a mirror. All this is nicely contrasted by the grainy Media breaks, like your actually watching them on TV, and the POV shots of Murphy, yes notice I said Murphy, looking at the world through his grid-vision.

The 5.1 audio also makes good use of all the speakers. Basil Poledouris' score is nicely balanced, bullets ricochet around speakers, and the scene were Boddicker's hubcap comes flying off his 6000 SUX can be heard clanging around the front & rear speakers.

The Cons

Although the transfer is gorgeous, IMHO the 1.78:1 ratio crops off too much information from the top and the bottom of the frame and makes the compositions too tight and makes some scenes too claustrophobic.

Examples: The first scene is a media-break and the top head of male news caster, Mario Machado is severely cropped as is the top of Leeza Gibbons poofy hair-do, in the bottom of the frame you see part of Machado's hands. On the other hand, on Criterion's more generous 1.66:1 matted version you see all of Machado's head, all of Leeza's hair-do and Machado's hands.

In MGM's bathroom confrontation scene btw Jones & Morton, Jones head is cropped much more severely than Criterion's version, and you can see the complete round mirror on the Criterion version, while the bottom part is missing in MGM's transfer.

In the Dallas skyline scene where Murphy is driving his 6000 SUX to the corporate quarters to confront Dick Jones, on the MGM transfer the tallest skyscraper is cropped, whereas the Criterion version shows plenty of sky over the top of the tallest skyscraper.

And there are plenty of other scenes in the MGM transfer that crop off heads that are completely visible in the Criterion version.

It's still a beautiful transfer, but I wish MGM would have down a 1.66:1 anamorphic transfer instead of a 1.77 anamorphic transfer. MGM's policy of not doing 1.66:1 anamorphic transfers, unlike Criterion or Anchor Bay, is ludicrous.

A very good presentation, with a gorgeous looking transfer, could have been perfect with a more generous ratio aspect.

cheers, Tony Block
Old 11-28-02, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Total Recall is my favorite Verhoeven film.

But it was Robocop that introduced me to a genre of violent films.

<spoiler>that scene where the guy in the radioactive waste gets hit by a car, still makes me shudder, and that scene when robocop gets stabbed and also stabs the bad guy</spoiler>

the TV series isn't that bad. i find it funny, what was once cutting edge tech before, is now up for easy use on television. i watch it when I have nothing else to watch on TV on our cable action channel.
Old 11-29-02, 12:20 AM

Originally posted by Tony Block
Starship Troopers is a masterpiece that comments on the mindset of many Americans, and U.S. politics, during the Persian Gulf War.
Yeah, a lot of people completely missed the point of this film.
Old 11-29-02, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Tony Block
Agree 100% with your comments on Robocop, but I also think that Starship Troopers is a masterpiece that comments on the mindset of many Americans, and U.S. politics, during the Persian Gulf War.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.