Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Favorite Western?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-03, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a cool topic

My choices are (off the top of my head) :

-Tombstone (Go Val !!)

-The wild bunch

-A fistfull of dollars

-The good, the bad and the smell.. ehhh the ugly .

-My name is nobody (With Terence Hill and Henry Fonda, cool Western/Comedy by Leone), I think the first western I saw as a child .

-Unforgiven; when I first saw this movie a few of things went through my mind.... Women's rights, pigs are a pain in the ass to separate, horses are a pain in the ass to mount if you've been pushing pigs for too long and seriously... Killing CHANGES a man.

Usually in westerns a dude kills 10 guys and sits down to drink some whiskey casually. Unforgiven showed what killing does to a man (not the dead one heh).

And last DON'T MESS WITH CLINT !!
Old 01-17-03, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

THE CHARGE AT FEATHER RIVER in 3-D
Old 01-18-03, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Charge at Feather River is one of my all-time favorite B-Westerns (sort of a pre-Dirty Dozen (in the premise that most of the group of men is culled from soldiers being held in the fort's guardhouse) where a small group of cavalry soldiers (The Guardhouse Brigade) set out to retrieve a couple of women held captive by Indians). The lead is played by Guy Madison. Never had the pleasure of watching it in 3-D.

I had some family in town last night so I couldn't watch Monte Walsh. Geofferson (or anyone else), did you have a chance to catch it last night?
Old 01-18-03, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Shane
Old 01-19-03, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Tombstone
Old 01-19-03, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Treasure of the Sierra Madre is my favorite Western, although it is not a "cowboy movie".

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly gets my vote for a more traditional "Western".

For American Westerns, I would go with Tombstone.
Old 01-19-03, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Spaghetti's:

#1-GOOD/BAD/UGLY
#2-ONCE/WEST
#3-GREAT SILENCE
#4-FISTFUL/DOLLARS
#5-COMPANEROS

American:

#1-WILD BUNCH
#2-TOMBSTONE
#3-LITTLE BIG MAN
#4-HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER
#5-PAT GARRET & BILLY THE KID

Non-American and Non-Euro:
EL TOPO
Old 01-19-03, 11:11 PM

1. Tombstone
2. Long Riders, The
3. High Plains Drifter
4. Good the Bad and the Ugly, The
5. Fistful Of Dollars, A
6. Unforgiven
7. For A Few Dollars More
8. Outlaw Josey Wales
9. Hang 'em High
10. Magnificent Seven, The
Old 01-20-03, 08:04 AM

Received 111 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally posted by Josh
My name is nobody (With Terence Hill and Henry Fonda, cool Western/Comedy by Leone), I think the first western I saw as a child .
Good call. Very underrated Western.
Old 01-24-03, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The other day, I finally had a chance to watch TNT's Monte Walsh starring Tom Selleck. It was enjoyable enough. Selleck was fine in the role of Monte Walsh though he has been better in other films. The film lost me for a bit after the first 90 minutes but grabbed me again in the last 30 minutes (it is shown in a 2 hour 30 minute block (commercials are included)). There really wasn't a whole lot going on plot/story-wise; I think that is why I felt a little let-down after the first 90 minutes when I began to realize there wasn't going to be much development plot-wise. There are quite a few comedic/light moments throughout the film and they worked for the most part (on rare occasion, some of the dialogue felt a little too contemporary). The light/comedic moments certainly played a major part in my enjoyment of the film despite its somewhat weak storyline. The scenery was nice too and was another plus the film had going for it. I didn't care too much for the exaggerated blow-back they used during the gunfights but that's just a minor quibble. The film had some nice work turned in by Keith Carradine and a hard to recognize William Devane. The actor who played the character of Hooker was good too. The film was a nice and idealistic tribute to the way of life of the American cowboy. Anyway, Monte Walsh is airing numerous times this weekend in case someone wants to check it out.

Also airing on TNT this weekend are The Rough Riders, Gettysburg ( to Jeff Daniels' performance and the exciting Battle at Little Round Top?), and Andersonville.
Old 01-24-03, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My absolute favorite western is Once Upon a Time in the West. It's the western by which all other's are judged for me. I just wish it was out on DVD.
Old 01-25-03, 08:24 AM

Here's my list of favorite westerns in alphabetical order. "Shane" remains my favorite film of all-time.

1. Cat Ballou (1965)
2. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (1966)
3. High Noon (1952)
4. High Plains Drifter (1973)
5. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)
6. My Name is Nobody (1973)
7. The Outlaw Josie Wales (1976)
8. The Ox-Bow Incident (1943)
9. The Searchers (1956)
10. Shane (1952)
11. She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949)
12. The Shootist (1976)
13. There Was a Crooked Man (1970)
Old 05-15-04, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been on a western kick, here's my top 10 of all times:

1. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
2. For a Few Dollars More
3. Rio Bravo
4. My Name is Nobody
5. Once Upon a Time in the West
6. Stagecoach(THE archetype western in my book)
7. Shane
8. The Wild Bunch
9. The Road Warrior
10. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre(if that's actually a western, if it doesn't count, I'll go Ox-Bow Incident.
Old 05-15-04, 11:46 AM

My favorites have to be
1) Tombstone (with Val Kilmer and Kurt Russell)
2) Big Jake
3) Blazing Saddles
Many westerns I haven't seen since I was a kid so I don't remember too much about them or I've only seen bits and pieces of (The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is a good example, and with its new version coming out on Tuesday, I rented an older version again from Netflix to see if I wanted to buy it) Actually, everyone has given good ideas for me to rent at Netflix...Thanks!
Old 05-15-04, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My top 3:

1-Unforgiven
2-The Wild Bunch
3-Tombstone
Old 10-14-05, 07:44 PM
En vacance

Stagecoach (1939)
Old 10-14-05, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
My absolute favorite western is Once Upon a Time in the West. It's the western by which all other's are judged for me. I just wish it was out on DVD.
Wow, flashback! The first two sentences are still correct at least.
Old 10-14-05, 09:02 PM

Until recently I'd have said Unforgiven. But now I've seen Pale Rider and that has taken top spot. Mainly because it has one of the "best deliveries of a single line by an extra" ever. It's so good that when I first watched it with some buddies, we rewound it like 20 times. It's beautiful, it's hilarious, it's poignant. It's so good it's made this great western, my favorite western. You might think i'm over-doing it, but perhaps you've overlooked this "line" yourself. Or maybe you feel the same way.

What line am I rambling about? It comes at the point in the movie when Hull Barret tells the rest of the townsfolk that the Preacher ain't going to be around to help them when the Baddies roll through. The gravity of the situation hits one townsman particularly hard, and in a moment of quiescent understanding he lets out a gruff "hmph, shit".

Last edited by smirnoff; 10-14-05 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-21-05, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by grunter
Probably the closest I come to the whole "western" genre is "Dead Man."

No, wait - if "Dances With Wolves" counts, I have that too.

As a whole, the genre simply never interested me.

Dead Man (I'm surprised I haven't seen this one listed more often)
The Searchers
McCabe and Mrs. Miller
Unforgiven
Open Range
Old 10-21-05, 09:27 AM

Received 111 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by smirnoff
Until recently I'd have said Unforgiven. But now I've seen Pale Rider and that has taken top spot. Mainly because it has one of the "best deliveries of a single line by an extra" ever. It's so good that when I first watched it with some buddies, we rewound it like 20 times. It's beautiful, it's hilarious, it's poignant. It's so good it's made this great western, my favorite western. You might think i'm over-doing it, but perhaps you've overlooked this "line" yourself. Or maybe you feel the same way.

What line am I rambling about? It comes at the point in the movie when Hull Barret tells the rest of the townsfolk that the Preacher ain't going to be around to help them when the Baddies roll through. The gravity of the situation hits one townsman particularly hard, and in a moment of quiescent understanding he lets out a gruff "hmph, shit".
My only problem with Pale Rider is its lack of originality. It's basically a shot-for-shot remake of Shane. Though I do like it's mythical undertones.

Anyway, great to see this thread still alive and kicking. I've recently been on a Spaghetti western kick and have watched the following movies recently: Django, My Name is Nobody and Django Kill...if you live, shoot (which, by the way, is the best torture, sadomasochism western with homosexual undertones movie I've seen ).
Old 10-21-05, 09:38 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by wendersfan
1. Once Upon a Time in the West
2. She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
3. The Searchers
4. The Tin Star
5. My Darling Clementine
6. Winchester '73
7. 3:10 to Yuma
8. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
9. The Wild Bunch
10. Gunfight At the O.K. Corral
Oh, what a naive and callow fool I was not to have listed Rio Bravo at the top. Surely the finest western ever made.